SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender12145

Girls bedroom makeover

lavender12145
5 years ago

I want to redo this room that my two girls 5 and 9 share.

First: I want to change the bed. So tell me if the pic attached is a bed we have bought but has not been delivered so if it won’t look good, I will cancel the purchase. Its a v nice thomasville all wood bed , but I feel the headboard is too big..

ideally I would like an upholstered bed.

I am looking for a teal/gold theme With some other color like magenta .

The dollhouse will stay.. loll.. I m looking for some other small storage for some toys display too.

Dont need a dresser.

Lamps for night stand as these clearly are going back!

and Oh!! A chandelier for sure. The ceiling is only 8 feet high and the room is 18 x 12 inches with some additional space where the door opens.

I have given it to an online designer , however, I do want some more ideas too..!

Drapes or blinds whichever... maybe a rug so that the playzone can be defined ..

a wall mural or something... wall art behind the bed ( which is why I think the large headboard would not look too good) maybe I can just keep this old bed? It’s a king and I want to stick with king .

Any ideas or anyone wants to share pics of products?

Here are some of my inspiration pics. And yes, no desk needed.

Comments (24)

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

I don't think 5 & 9 year olds could keep an upholstered headboard clean. I like the wall mural idea. Maybe you'd like the upholstered headboard in your room...

• pink_peony
    5 years ago

I am not sure which bed you ordered but my immediate thought was are they sharing a bed?

• Related Discussions

Girl's Bedroom Makeover, Before & After

Q

Comments (13)
    Nini804, nice eye! We actually are switching them out with longer ones.. got the wrong length but couldn't wait for the after photos! I'm too impatient :/ Glad you guys all approve!
    ...See More

Tween Girl’s Bedroom Colours

Q

Comments (1)
    On my monitor, the accent color looks mint green... How purple is the purple? Is like lilacs?
    ...See More

teen girls bedroom makeover

Q

Comments (6)
    I think your ideas are great. You can use vectra. Itis a spray that keeps fabric easeir to clean. You can buy on amazon. I like mellow pink or soft white. Ikea has some large inexpensive chandeliers you might like.
    ...See More

What desk to choose for a teen girl’s bedroom

Q

Comments (41)
    Thanks for everyone’s comment! Some may be curious why I need to have a desk in my daughter’s bedroom…Yes, she uses it from time to time. I actually use it more often than she does for conference calls etc when working from home. The only office in the house is occupied by my hubby and he is on the phone 80% of the time. We have grandparents visiting during the day so dining/kitchen area is not good for working/studying. The only place I am able to have a desk is either master bedroom or my daughter’s room and the latter makes more sense. We really like Jan’s suggestion of white or pale pink desk. Evetually, we have decided to go with the white Chelsea desk at PBTeen because it is easier to change the color tone of the room without replacing furniture pieces in the furture. The desk is 21*55 so maybe I can also have a bookshelf beside it? ( Originally I was planing to place a skinny bookshelf on the right side of bed. That’s why I only got one night stand.) I also got new curtains, duvet cover and sheet as attached. Still need to work on the wall decor and maybe a new pinkish lamp. The inspo pictures always look so nice. For example, the darker pink velvet chairs add more depth of the black and pink tone. However, In reality, there will not be enough space to add anything extra to the room.
    ...See More
  • Gcubed
    5 years ago
    Yes, are they sharing a bed? Why the need for a King? What about a full (or twin) over full bunk bed- something light and airy with a wall mural behind it
    Will leave room for play/toys. You could even get a small sofa or big comfy chairs
  • lavender12145
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

So right now they would need a king, because my 5 years old wants me to be with her when she goes to sleep . Later on we may change but as of now, king is our need.

I too agree the room could look so much prettier with two twin beds.

• Gcubed
    5 years ago
    Does it have to be a king? And do you want to buy a new bed/mattress in a few years? My tween/teen boys share a room and have a twin over full bunk. Occasionally the younger one want to sleep with his brother and then they both sleep on the full bed.
    You might have more versatility this way and not have to re-do the room in 2 years
  • lavender12145
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I m somewhat paranoid about a small child falling from the top bunk ... ( news stories )

also i feel changing sheets would be hard, and then bedding can’t be as pretty ..

• Gcubed
    5 years ago
    Older can sleep up top ;)
    Though most injuries occur when kids are awake and goofing off in the beds.

You are right that changing sheets are harder though I have seen sheets where the top half zips off.
  • pink_peony
    5 years ago

• lavender12145
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wow!! Thanks!! That’s a lot of inspiration !

Sadly though I just can’t do twin beds. I work night shifts and when I m home my daughters really want me to spend some time with them in the bed as they fall asleep . they grow up too fast and I don’t want to miss out on these moments !

My 7 years old son son has his own room with a queen bed and I know when he wants me to be with him then the youngest wants to jump in too..and even if I have to be there for a short while , queen is barely enough ..

I love the wall murals though !! Can only do wallpapers if they r the easy to put on ones... otherwise stripping them is a hassle!!

The wall where the door is is windowless but not enough space to put a king bed there .

The only other wall wall where king bed could be placed would be the one opposite the closet .

I’ll be open to the bunk bed idea or twin beds in a few years and yes , at that point I could get new beds mattresses bedding etc .

the nightstands we just bought , I know they r brown but they r solid wood and a v good make ( Drexel) so they will have to stay too.

Theres not much much space for a desk , anyway the kids have a huge study room all to themselves ( which I will be redoing too)

so I don’t need a study desk ... however a reading nook is not a bad idea like maybe a chair and small shelf?

• Kris Bruesehoff
    5 years ago

Maybe buy two twin mattresses and put together on a king frame with a topper, use king bedding for now, and in a few years you can separate and use as twins.

• megs1030
    5 years ago

Stripping wallpaper is only a hassle if it wasn't installed correctly. There are also tons of peel and stick wallpapers that make install and removal a breeze.

What are the dimensions of this room? Window placement? Closet placement?

I would also ask yourself if you purchase a king bed now and the girls don't want to share later, are you really going to want to replace with bunks or twin beds in a few short years?

I agree with pink_peony... Install a mural in a large scale print and pull colors from that to finish decorating the room. Paint remaining walls a white that you pull from the wallpaper. Keep the bedding white and add accent pillows that also pull colors from the wallpaper.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

IMO the first thing is 2 beds . There is no way ids should have to share a bed in a room this size.As for color what do the girls want. When I was growing up my Mom was a designer but when it came to our rooms she let us choose colors but those were in bedding and the walls were kept neutral so that every time we had a favorite color there was no painting involved. To be honest I can’t imagine girls these ages liking the same anything . This is a nice example of 2 different colors working in a space

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

My grand daughters shared a bed until one went off to college. Their latest room is the bonus room over the garage with a fireplace and sitting area. They liked it that way.

• pink_peony
    5 years ago

it seems that some of the purchases you’ve already made don’t relate at all to the vision or inspiration pictures you’ve shared. The bedside tables are an example of this. Is the headboard on the bed currently staying? Curious what prompted you to order new furniture in the style and finish you did? I’m wondering if they can be relocated to another space? Sons room? Your room? They are dark and a small scale for a king bed. They don’t really work with your vision and last they are not the style Used in a young girls or teen girls room. For all these reasons i think you need to stop , take a step back , evaluate , create a budget, create a wish list and then move forward from there. Possibly with a designer or decorator who can bring this space together.

• lavender12145
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thankyou for all the messages .

I did purple and teal color scheme like the above picture in their previous room in our old house.

my Youngest loved pink and the older one liked teal and golden . However seeing the older sisters talk about teal , she now wants teal too! So I ll do with teal gold and touches of magenta ....

i don’t think however you understand that if I do the room as pretty as can be but put their beds separately , they will not be happy. If I change nothing and keep the bed together they ll be happier!

• lavender12145
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I love the mural idea a lot !

Like a floral and keeping the walls white and and pulling colors from the mural into accessories on white bedding !

• lavender12145
    Original Author
    5 years ago

if I do it myself I ll have to cut the mural to fit across the window ? That wall behind the bed is 18 feet wide . Or should I do it just behind the bed ? Is there an app where I can see placement of bed etc and see how it looks on a different wall ..?

• pink_peony
    5 years ago

I think we all understand quite well. Sometimes replies come out ofnorder and don’t appear until later or we are all commenting at the same time or we only read your initial post and don’t read comments. Anything suggested to you can be done with a king sized bed. However the professionals are making suggestions that will carry your girls into the future with this room instead of having to change it every couple of years which is costly. If you have never put wallpaper up before i would highly suggest you hire a professional to do so. The cost is nominal in the bigger scheme of things and the job will be done correctly. There are many steps to insure the surface is prepped correctly and the paper hung correctly. Especially on a wall that large And with a large scale pattern the job can be even trickier. Don’t cut corners here. Your attempts to do so will cost you money and time and a whole lot of frustration later on.

• lavender12145
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes of course. I will not do wallpape myself at all. I thought it was mural but I guess that’s no different.

the Reason actually for buying the nightstands was simply because of the quality .. anything in white which I wanted was made of MDF , not solid wood . i searched pottery barn , crate and barrel , online , and so many stores .. in fact the west elm nightstands I liked appear almost identical to the ones in target at a lower price and I m sure the quality is no different either ! My sil bought nightstands from pb/ c&b / west elm for kids and told me the drawers are not smooth ... the quality is target quality etc ...

the bed however is also solid wood but I think there I m going to let go and just not buy that bed with a huge headboard . I ll either keep the same or buy something else.

I am going to search for floral wallpaper in easy stick kind . I m not going to buy the traditional wallpaper though .

• Kris Bruesehoff
    4 years ago

• tyger_lily
    4 years ago

Just push 2 single beds together like they do in hotels.When the girls get bigger you can just pull them apart. They still make up two single beds pushed together as one bed.

• tyger_lily
    4 years ago

It is not even necessary for a gadget to keep them together. A king size fitted sheet would do the same.

• User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I was also going to suggest twin beds pushed together...it makes sense to do this..You can still do one tufted headboard so it looks like a king bed. Or keep your existing king until it needs to be replaced. Save some money, right? You can get a headboard to attach to the wall (I prefer this, myself). I'm not a huge fan of bed skirts, but there are neater ones with box pleats.

What about something like this for the reading nook area?:

I've never met a kid who wouldn't love this...I did it for my own daughter (her room was jewel tones so I used vintage saris and stamped gold designs around the doorways--kind of a Moroccan feel).

I don't find wallpaper difficult to hang. Especially if you're only doing one wall (corners can get tricky). Repositionnable (self stick) wallpaper, I found to be a real pita. You have a large sheet and it sticks to itself and the wall where you don't want it to (think trying to hang an 8 foot sheet of contact paper). Paste or prepasted is slippy so you can slide it over the wall....SO much easier...

My now adult daughter still likes the boho look, and we put three of these at differing heights in a corner of her room in her new apartment. They're not electric, but we got some remote controlled led lights. They're magic.

If you prefer the chandelier, there's this one from etsy. If you use a very low bulb, it can stay on as a night light and you can use the bedside lamps for real light...