Report paints a damning portrait of Trump’s presidency

Mattie

This is an analysis

Report paints a damning portrait of Trump’s presidency

The principal focus of the special counsel’s investigation was on questions of criminality. But there is more than the issue of what rises to the level of criminal conspiracy or criminal obstruction when judging a president and his administration. These are questions that go to the heart of what is acceptable or normal or advisable in a democracy. On that basis, the Mueller report provides a damning portrait of the president and those around him for actions taken during the 2016 campaign and while in office.

The 448-page document is replete with evidence of repeated lying by public officials and others (some of whom have been charged for that conduct), of the president urging not to tell the truth, of the president seeking to shut down the investigation, of a Trump campaign hoping to benefit politically from Russian hacking and leaks of information damaging to its opponent, of a White House in chaos and operating under abnormal rules.

It shows a White House where officials sometimes — but not always — resisted the president’s more nefarious orders and concludes that Trump was not able to influence the investigation as much as he wished because advisers declined to carry out some of those orders. It also suggests, despite his many claims to the contrary, that the president felt vulnerable to an investigation. When informed just months after taking office that a special counsel was to be appointed, Trump exclaimed that it would mean “the end of my presidency.”

Mueller’s report looks at episodes in which the president’s actions might be construed as an attempt to obstruct the investigation. Those include his conduct related to the firing of Michael Flynn, his first national security adviser; the firing of FBI Director James B. Comey and subsequent appointment of a special counsel; the president’s efforts to remove the special counsel; efforts to prevent disclosure of the June 2016 Trump Tower meeting with Russians; Trump’s efforts to force then-White House counsel Donald McGahn to deny that he had been ordered to fire Mueller.

SaveComment36Like2
Comments (36)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaych

LOL! Keep chasing those talking points all the way to the 2020 re-election of President Trump!

1 Like Save    
jerzeegirl(9b)

It's almost pointless to try to have a discussion with them They are afraid and lashing out. They know that their tinpot dictator is in deep do-do and they are convulsing in fear of what will happen next.

10 Likes Save     Thanked by Mattie
chase_gw

I don't think so........I thing they actually believe this is a total vindication , Barr and FOX have told them so. They will look no further.

10 Likes Save     Thanked by Mattie
catticusmockingbird

"The Mueller report offers a portrait of the White House and its culture of lies."

The WH is "defined by a president who lies to the public and his own staff, then tries to get his aides to lie for him."

"He was saved from an accusation of obstruction of justice, the report makes clear, in part because aides saw danger and stopped him from following his own instincts."

https://t.co/DH35jlnmUP

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Mattie
Mattie

I agree with both of you, the right is afraid, and of course the right has been lashing out since the 2016 election.

And they are so gullible, so desperate for validation, so willing to be led around by the nose that they actually do believe what Trump, Barr and Fox tell them to believe.

7 Likes Save    
Kathy

There are a lot of redactions for on going Grand jury cases. My question is why Mueller felt he had to wrap it up before he could complete the investigation on obstruction?

Now we know why so many people left his administration. They didn’t want to be the one caught lying for him. Sanders and Conway excepted. Trump not only lies, he wants everyone to lie for him.

1 Like Save    
catkinZ8a

Mueller knew there was no collusion a year and a half ago.

Save    
Kathy

There was a lot of obstruction for no collusion.

6 Likes Save    
clearwaters

Mueller had a very narrow focus. The focus was strictly held to collusion. Once crimes, such as obstruction were found, they were sent on to the Districts of Va and NY.

There's plenty of crime and corruption to go around.

4 Likes Save    
catspat(aka)

I think Mueller, to some extent, didn't want to do as the Javert-like Ken Starr did, Kathy, and extend the investigation into something like eternity for no practical end. If the relevant parties are not going to indict a sitting president, then the investigations can be continued post-Presidency, with the roadmap provided by his report.

Why so many people left his administration? My husband, who works for the federal government, predicted that at the get-go. That anyone joined it is the more remarkable thing.

4 Likes Save    
petalique

I agree with clearwaters and catspat. Mueller’s remit or area of authority was very restricted. When criminal activity was found outside of his purview, it was handed over to others such as SDNY.

In some areas he was stymied because people lied (a lot), evidence was destroyed (Bannon and Erik Prince (Of Blackwater infamy), or unavailable (out of the country).

1 Like Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Since they were never allowed to interview the president himself, investigators were somewhat hobbled, weren't they?

And the analysis I've heard pointed out that the idea that a sitting president may not be indicted was what Mueller may have meant by 'issues'.

And since I'm currently reading 'Fear', it is interesting to see that much of Woodward's assertions are turning out to be true.

And I think it's clear we can thank Russia for the deep partisan divisions and rancor our citizens are experiencing now.

And by hammering the term 'collusion', it seems the president and his cohorts have managed to steer public discussion away from the real bad behavior.

Here's an official White House post from FB - preemptive framing? Def. talking points for supporters & talkers to run with:

2 years. $35 million. No collusion.

Today, the witch hunt is over. What Congressional Democrats choose to do now will define both Washington and Americans’ faith in government for years to come. Will they continue to try to delegitimize a duly elected President, or will they at last work with him in good faith to deliver a positive agenda for middle- and working-class America?

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

The trumplicans are happily chanting "no collusion, no collusion" while ignoring the fact that their president was ordering his administration to commit felonies, people were leaving his administration rather than do so, that he is an unindicted co-conspirator, that he is flouting and undermining the very laws he was sworn to uphold, and that he is still betraying the nation by doing nothing to stop a foreign hostile nation from interfering in our elections which is the aorta of power for the people to the very heart of our government.

Shame on him and shame on them and shame on the moderate gop who know better but have no backbone to stand up to this menace.

11 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

I feel like I have more questions than answers.

Why Don jr not indicted for lying about TT meeting?

Why Jared and others not indicted for meeting in Seychelles? And what of his involvement with Cambridge Analytica?

Why are the above not considered "collusion/collaboration?" Don't understand how Mueller could essentially conclude that Russia and campaign were acting independently of each other especially since others in the campaign were indicted.

The "president can't be indicted" is based on a 40 year old MEMO? This isn't law, so how does it stand? What if a prez walked into the bedroom and shot the FL? Ho hum....business as usual for him the next day? And the notion that he can't be indicted because it would interfere with running the country.....is it OK that the country is run by someone who may have committed a crime?

Looks like Trump will get a pass on everything because of the election and Repub majority in Senate who won't do the right thing.....but if Trump is re-lected, can he be impeached then?

Those are all I can think of for now. I wish there was an attorney here on HT to answer questions we are all wondering about.

3 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

I think GOP efforts to get him re-elected will double down, in hopes of forestalling the inevitable.

1 Like Save    
chase_gw

"Mueller knew there was no collusion a year and a half ago."

......and you know this how?

Save    
texasranger2

He's not accused of obstruction but it does paint a terrible picture and anyone who says otherwise is not facing reality or just chooses to not see what is right in front of us. Face it folks, we had two of the greatest and most corrupt liars in the country running against each other in the last election and we only have ourselves to blame.

When did people start venerating politicians?

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

And I'm *still* not buying this 'no collusion' business. There were too many contacts and too much evidence of 'coincidences' for it not to be coordinated on some level...let alone trump's continued obsequiousness toward putin...and lifting sanctions on the russians since then. I don't think trump started out with the russians, but they contacted him and his, the trump campaign did nothing to repel them or report them to the fbi, they lied numerous times about all of the contacts, and actively tried to obstruct the investigation into the interference and contacts. They made use of the stolen documents from russia including the democratic strategic plan. And they've done nothing to stop russia's continued interference.

If that isn't collusion, I don't know what is.

3 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

There is an abundance of collusion -- but not rising to the level of a criminal conspiracy in Mueller's opinion.

The quantity of players in the collusion and the extent of the collusion, marks Trump as an ethical black hole in the center of this storm. He is ethically unable to carry out the functions of government.

2 Likes Save    
paprikash

There is something unbelievably sad about members of one of our two major political parties being unhappy that our President isn’t a traitor. He won the election, folks, and there will be another election in 2020. Can’t you all just give it a rest already. Whining and pouting and petulance is unpleasant in toddlers but when adults have been doing for so long, it’s downright nauseating.

Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Reading the Mueller report shows a GOP candidate eager to collude with a foreign power hostile to the US.

4 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Dunno why those Dems can't just get over having a criminal and his family selling state secrets to foreign agents and compromising National Security.

/sarcasm

6 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

My question is why Mueller felt he had to wrap it up before he could complete the investigation on obstruction?

I don't think it was Mueller's choice...he reports to barr and I think barr pulled the plug on it. Mueller probably wisely chose to get as much out as quickly as possible and farm out as much as he could. He knew his position was threatened by the president since day one.

2 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

Just read the report pap... but be near a fainting couch when you do.

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Can’t you all just give it a rest already.

Brought to you by the party of 10 separate benghazi investigations...

9 Likes Save    
sjerin

There is something unbelievably sad about members of one of our two
major political parties being unhappy that our President isn’t a
traitor.

What?? We are not sad that trump isn't a traitor, but rather that he cannot be tossed out for what he has done and said. Many, many of us believe he is a traitor and feel the proof is there, except for those who don't want to see it under any circumstances.

1 Like Save    
jerzeegirl(9b)

Everyone should be really afraid about this. This is a wake up call. We are allowing a rogue president to run roughshod over the presidency, Telling lies and asking people to lie for him. The report contains facts, not conjectures or made-up fantasies. Imagine how you would feel if it were a democratic president doing exactly the same things. You would be screaming bloody murder. The point is that we need to ensure that the rule of law is followed and that no president is above the law. This is how dictators are born, folks. Let's not let it happen here. If it does, we will be throwing democracy and our way of life out the door.

7 Likes Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

The one single truth that matters: Trump lies and he tries to get other people lie for him, about him, and for any other reason that might benefit him. Truth does not matter to him in any shape or form.

That will certainly be a defining statement of his presidency and it comes through loud and clear in Mueller's report.

3 Likes Save    
tony jelly

Mueller was looking for, not just a smoking gun, but a bullet, a body, and a confession.

Leave the gun take the cannoli.

Save    
Mattie

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

From above:

Can’t you all just give it a rest already.

Brought to you by the party of 10 separate benghazi investigations...

#####

And, now they (Team Trump) are calling for more investigations - while being disinterested the ones started by the previous AG and House.

1 Like Save    
Chi

All this happened because people showed up at midterms. Imagine if the Democrats hadn't flipped the house - this would have all been covered up.

2 Likes Save    
chase_gw

I hope the Dems roll this all up into a cohesive , united story for the general election.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I'm thinking too about what isn't in the Mueller report...nothing 'following the money' re trump's financial dealings or potential money kompromat, nothing on counterintelligence or foreign intelligence...there's a whole lot of stuff that we may never see re what trump is doing....

Save    
catticusmockingbird

^^^^

But couldn't that be where the other investigations come in? Let's hope so.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I'd like to see trump's written Q&A too...

Save    

Related Stories

Tastemakers How Tupperware’s Inventor Left a Legacy That’s Anything but Airtight
Earl S. Tupper — and his trailblazing marketing guru, Brownie Wise — forever changed food storage. His story is stranger than fiction
Full Story
Decorating Guides Here’s Looking at You: Supersize Portraiture at Home
Go big. Go bold. Hang huge portraits on blank walls for maximum impact
Full Story
Traditional Homes Happy Birthday, Rembrandt: Peek Inside the Dutch Painter’s Former House
The famous Dutch painter surrounded himself with expensive artwork and rare antiquities, which led to a foreclosure on his house
Full Story
Data Watch New Home Renovation Study Paints Positive Growth Picture
More than two-thirds of industry professionals say 2014 was a good year and 2015 is looking hopeful
Full Story
Decorating 101 Bulletproof Decorating: How to Pick the Right Kind of Paint
Choose a paint with some heft and a little sheen for walls and ceilings with long-lasting good looks. Here are some getting-started tips
Full Story
Antiques Houzz Tour: A Masterly Miniature on Boston’s Beacon Hill
A painting spurs the palette for a period-faithful renovation of a studio in a converted 1850 governor’s house
Full Story
Decorating Guides Abraham Lincoln, the Hottest President in Home Decor?
Americans just can't get enough of revered Mr. Lincoln, it seems, with pillows, plates and art to prove it
Full Story
Fun Houzz Houzz Call: What’s on Your Refrigerator?
Magnets, menus, children’s art, coupons, perfect-attendance certificates, song lyrics — what is fridge-worthy in your house?
Full Story
Painting Get the Scoop on Finding the Best Paint for Your Money
Scoring the best deal on paint for your home may have nothing to do with advertised specials
Full Story
From design services to cabinetry selections and floor coverings to everything in between, our impressive... Read More