SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karenmoranuk

are oak floors in a kitchen REALLY a good idea?

Karenmo
5 years ago

Ah yes, those hardwoods in the kitchen -- they look great, especially with white cabinets, and when the flooring flows from adjacent rooms.....

BUT are they really practical, given all the moisture issues in kitchens, compared to a truly waterproof flooring like ceramic tile or the new luxury vinyl planks?

I see real hardwoods (not the vinyl imitation) in the majority of the kitchens in the houses going on the market in my area now -- houses originally built like mine. Our Duracermic floors have not held up and to be replaced before we sell our house in a few years, so I am looking to redo them now to enjoy the improvement for a bit before we move. Wondering if I should get with the hardwood trend and continue the oak floors from our adjoining family room? At the other end of the kitchen from the family room is a doorway to the dining room, where the wood runs the other way so it would be trickier to fit in the new flooring boards there. But luckily it's a small doorway!

My hangup is years of thinking that water is the kiss of death for oak floors, and a few real experiences that reinforce that thinking!

Comments (38)