Here too.

1 Like Save     Thanked by lily12
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marquest(PA zone 6)

Yep I am going to watch.

sheesh(5b)

I am too. I saw his announcement yesterday and was very impressed.

Ann

I should have watched because I've been watching Bernie's town hall on Fox News. My husband also wanted to watch it and was gone when it aired, so I recorded it to watch right now. As much as I liked Bernie in 2016 (not his policies, but his authenticity), I thought he was terrible today. He seemed only capable of dodging every question (so unlike the old Bernie) and bashing Trump. It was a complete waste of time IMO.

jerzeegirl(9b)

I love listening to Mayor Pete talk about the political system. And his charisma is remarkable.

catkinZ8a

Especially if you have a "meaningful job." SMH

Save    
catkinZ8a

80% of 11,000 people?

Save    
jerzeegirl(9b)

Be afraid. Be very afraid. Pete is the real deal.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by lily12
catkinZ8a

Pete's a 'religious' hypocrite calling other believers religious hypocrites, I doubt that'll go over well.

Pete, your values aren't America's values, believe me!

Save    
jerzeegirl(9b)

The people you are talking about wouldn't have voted for him anyway. Caw on.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Of the Democratic lineup I've liked him best from the first time I heard him speak on Bill Maher. Rhodes scholar, Middle East veteran, articulate, personable - definitely someone to watch. Even now he makes Trump look so very, very substandard.

7 Likes Save     Thanked by lily12
catkinZ8a

"Abortion is freedom." Freedom for who, Pete?

1 Like Save    
marquest(PA zone 6)

What is not to like. I liked his campaign plan. I was thinking Biden hummmm. I think he is going to be a force.

catticusmockingbird

14 Likes Save     Thanked by lily12
Kathy

Pete definitely has depth. The more I see the more I like. .

2 Likes Save     Thanked by lily12
Ziemia(6a)

I find the experience of mayors and governors to be a better prep for president that senator or representative.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by lily12
catkinZ8a

Big whoop.

Save    
Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real

OMG Mayor Pete. Authenticity + Brains and a slight twist on 1950s wholesome Americana- oh and tremendous poise. I can imagine how well he would do against Trump in the debates. He would be able to ignore and redirect with aplomb. I hope he will be able to manage his relationship with the DNC. I am concerned that the DNC see themselves and not their members as the king makers. And as far as I can tell, Mayor Pete may not have a great deal of pull with big donors and the Party. I am sure he has a plan, though.

gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

I find the experience of mayors and governors to be a better prep for president that senator or representative.

Ziemia, governors, yes I agree. Mayors...I'm not convinced. Could you, and/or others that think being a mayor is adequate prep explain in more detail why you think so? Mayor to president is a much larger job skills leap, and a much smaller source for track record, than gov to pres IMO.

South Bend is tiny--population roughly 102,000. It isn't as if Buttigieg is mayor of a major city with a population of 2 million plus. How do us wary folks gain confidence in his abilities from that?

lily12

Isn't he refreshing? Could there be any two people in the world more different than tRump and Pete? The debate would be spectacular. Speaks seven languages and Trump doesn't even speak English(Oranges, anyone?) Such a calm articulate brilliant man. Not only a Rhodes scholar, Harvard grad but served in Afghanistan. Daughter doesn't think he has a chance because he's gay. I said the homophobes all vote for tRump any way so...

Save    
mrskjun(9)

If I ever voted democrat again, Mayor Pete sounds like the most centrist of anyone running on the democrat side.

Ann, I watched Bernie too. This is not the same Bernie that ran in 2016. What an angry old man. He ranted.

3 Likes Save    
Ann

"I am concerned that the DNC see themselves and not their members as the king makers. "

I think that's possible as they're so used to that role and might be reluctant to give it up.

1 Like Save    
Ann

"Daughter doesn't think he has a chance because he's gay."

I have a young male family member that agrees with your daughter. Being the age he is, I was surprised at the opinion, but he thinks it simply won't go over well enough in too much of the country.

Save    
Carro

Just look at Keith Ellison. My gosh, he has made the decision that no Dem debate will be hosted by FOX. He's continuing the DNC's role of determining who their candidate is, and not the voters.

They haven't learned a thing, and it was really laughable to see Ellison whine about how not fair FOX is when his own DNC colluded with the MSM to cheat and give Hillary questions so she had an advantage over Bernie.

Save    
Carro

Ann, I watched Bernie too. This is not the same Bernie that ran in 2016. What an angry old man. He ranted.

He's also transformed into a super-rich hypocrite.

Save    
Carro

I have a young male family member that agrees with your daughter. Being the age he is, I was surprised at the opinion, but he thinks it simply won't go over well enough in too much of the country.

I take it your family member is actually a millenial, Ann?

Save    
Ann

Yes Carro, he is.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

"Ziemia, governors, yes I agree. Mayors...I'm not convinced. Could you, and/or others that think being a mayor is adequate prep explain in more detail why you think so? Mayor to president is a much larger job skills leap, and a much smaller source for track record, than gov to pres IMO."

I see them both having a similar skill set so we see it fundamentally different.

The president's work is leadership and good ones assemble a team that can be effective. They surround themselves with experts and can discern and separate and coalesce all the info. They must be good listeners.

I don't see that much difference between the job components between that of a governor and of a mayor. The differences pertain to the size of the budget and more complex federal government funding.

I guess I see the job as three part: listening to advisors, the populace, and outside forces, making decisions and following through (and admitting when the course taken needs changing), and addressing the nation, small groups, and the world.

And while legislators can rise up their experience is not as expansive.

###

Excellent question, by the way. Thank you for asking.

Oh, I see his military experience as a bonus.

2 Likes Save    
Carro

Well that does surprise me, Ann.

The Left will move on from Mayor Pete. Remember when Beto was the flavor of the week? He even scored that coveted VF cover and was hopping up on bars and tables everywhere. Now? We hardly knew ye.

Save    
Ann

If I were a Dem right now, I think I'd be a little concerned at the field. I once thought Bernie had a good chance, but after watching him last night, I have completely changed that opinion. I think Pete is a good candidate, but Gyr's comment is a valid one and, honestly, it may be possible his being gay might not work for some voters. I've always thought Biden will be a kind of McCain type candidate (meh). I think Beto is done (and should be as I think he's just rather ridiculous). I guess Harris might be the one at present who I might be thinking about were I a Dem, but I think her personality is off putting and I think she came out with the "far left" pack and might have stuck herself in that group rather unwisely. Plus, I'm just not hearing about her in that she just isn't gaining nice momentum.

Save    
Joaniepoanie

@catkinZ8a

Pete's a 'religious' hypocrite calling other believers religious hypocrites, I doubt that'll go over well.

Pete, your values aren't America's values, believe me!

---------

Pete is dead on. Trump's "values" (money!) aren't America's values or Christian values.

4 Likes Save    
marquest(PA zone 6)

Yep Mayor Pete was spot on.

2 Likes Save    
sheesh(5b)

Trump's values are your values? Man, I don't think I know a single person who would admit that, and I know many trump voters.

4 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Not worried if Trump supporters are worried about Dem candidates. Clearly we who expect to vote for one evaluate politics differently.

(In fact, it's good you'd be worried if...)

2 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

Buttigieg's been mayor since 1-1-2012

Buttigieg's South Bend, Indiana is the 40th out of 50 worst city to live in the US.

Where Americans live can have a considerable impact on their quality of life. In some U.S. cities, everyday comfort and happiness is much harder to attain than in others.

Quality of life is subjective, and difficult to measure. Still, there is a wide range of quantifiable factors that can impact quality of life in a given area. Affordability, safety, job market strength, quality of education, infrastructure, average commute times, air quality, and the presence of cultural attractions are just a few examples of factors that can influence overall quality of life.

24/7 Wall St. created an index with measures in eight categories -- crime, economy, education, environment, health, housing, infrastructure, and leisure -- to identify the 50 worst cities to live in. Not confined to a single region, the worst cities span the country from the South to the Midwest and from New England to the Pacific coast.

40. South Bend, Ind.

• Population: 102,442
  • Median home value: $77,400
  • Poverty rate: 24.7%
  • Pct. with at least a bachelor's degree: 24.1%

South Bend, Indiana is one of the most dangerous cities in the United States. There were 1,012 violent crimes in South Bend for every 100,000 residents in 2016, more than double both the state and national violent crime rates of 405 incidents and 386 incidents per 100,000 people, respectively. As is often the case in high crime areas, property values in South Bend are depressed. The typical home in the city is worth just $77,400, less than half the national median home value of $205,000.

added.https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/economy/2018/06/13/50-worst-cities-to-live-in/35909271/

Save    
marquest(PA zone 6)

CNN is having 4 candidates on the 22nd

Mayor Pete Buttigieg, Sen. Kamala Harris, Sen. Amy Klobuchar, Sen. Bernie Sanders and Sen. Elizabeth Warren will participate in this live, internationally telecast 2020 event from New Hampshire on April 22.

Save    
catticusmockingbird

Marquest, thanks for the heads up.

Save    
Ann

That will be interesting. Will it be those 5, or only 4 from that group?

Save    
catticusmockingbird

Seriously? She obviously meant to type 5.

2 Likes Save    
lily12

This will be interesting. Most of my favorites except Beto will be there.

Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

Thanks Ziemia, and I apologize for the delay in getting back--I gave up on Houzz's 'opps' problems and wandered off to watched LOTR: The Two Towers...extended version. Defeating Sauron and orcs feels as if it has many parallels to the battle against trump and cohorts. ;)

-------------------

You are right in that many of the useful skills align. And there is some evidence Buttigieg is of the listen and thoughtful type of politician. And he certainly is brave enough to not be very deterred by "You can't because..." reasons, and shows a willingness to go with bold ideas.

His intelligence lessens my concerns some for the lemonade stand to lemonade conglomerate jump, where it would not be the case for the average politician. But I'm also aware that very intelligent people know to use it to reach their goals, so my radar will be on the alert for any hint that wool is being pulled. I prefer to see evidence and history, and going by trust alone makes me skittish.

I think someone that knows Washington would be better equipped to put it back together. Buttigieg would probably put it back together in a slightly different, possibly improved, form. That is a bit outside my comfort zone, but the safest path isn't necessarily the best choice, even though it is where I am most comfortable. We'll have to see what level of trust I have in him by the time decisions must be made.

margaux

I was just reading that anti-gay hecklers are now showing up at Pete's appearances in Iowa. Those "good Christians" who support Trump were shouting "Sodom and Gomorrah."

llucy

I saw a clip of Pete being heckled. He said "Hello again" and continued on with his speech without missing a beat. Impressive aplomb.

nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Ha!

"Hello again" -- Buttigieg is a steel snowflake.

1 Like Save    
graywings123(7)

The Left will move on from Mayor Pete. Remember when Beto was the flavor of the week? He even scored that coveted VF cover and was hopping up on bars and tables everywhere. Now? We hardly knew ye.

Actually, Beto is out campaigning. I went to a rally today. He's helping Dem efforts to flip the Virginia legislature blue by campaigning with local Delegate hopefuls. If his voice is any indication, he has been doing this a lot.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Travel by Design Catching Up With the Queen of Shabby Chic
Rachel Ashwell defined a style embraced by countless fans over the past 25 years. Find out what she’s turning her sights to now
Full Story
Life How to Help Your Dog Be a Good Neighbor
Good fences certainly help, but be sure to introduce your pup to the neighbors and check in from time to time
Full Story
Gardening Guides A Formerly Weedy Lot Now Brims With Edibles and Honeybees
Photographers transform their barren backyard into an oasis filled with fruit, vegetables, honey, eggs and more
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Jose Morgado has over 30 years of well-rounded construction and masonry experience. He brings authentic artisan... Read More