Trump called Jimmy Carter. Will wonders never cease!

catticusmockingbird

In Sunday school this morning President Carter said he got a call from Donald Trump last night and they talked about China. Carter said Trump is rightly concerned that “China is getting ahead of us.”

Thread: https://twitter.com/Emma_Hurt/status/1117441257188597760

"President Donald Trump called former President Jimmy Carter for the first time this weekend.

Carter revealed that news during his regular Sunday school lesson at his home church, Maranatha Baptist Church in Plains, Georgia, on Sunday morning.

Earlier this year former President Carter sent President Trump a letterwith some advice about managing the U.S.-China relationship. Carter oversaw the normalization of diplomatic relations between the countries 40 years ago.

And on Saturday evening, Trump called Carter to talk about it. It was the first time they’d spoken, Carter said. He said Trump said the particularly concerned about how China is “getting ahead of us.”

Carter agreed that’s true.

“And do you know why? I normalized diplomatic relations with China in 1979. Since 1979 do you know how many times China has been at war with anybody? None. And we have stayed at war,” he said.

The U.S., Carter said, has been at war for all but 16 years of its 242-year history.

He called the United States “the most warlike nation in the history of the world,” because of a tendency to try to force others to “adopt our American principles.”

Carter suggested that instead of war, China has been investing in its own infrastructure, mentioning that China has 18,000 miles of high-speed railroad.

“How many miles of high-speed railroad do we have in this country?”

Zero, the congregation answered.

“We have wasted I think $3 trillion,” Carter said of American military spending. “… It’s more than you can imagine. China has not wasted a single penny on war and that’s why they’re ahead of us. In almost every way.

“And I think the difference is if you take $3 trillion and put it in American infrastructure you’d probably have $2 trillion leftover. We’d have high-speed railroad. We’d have bridges that aren’t collapsing, we’d have roads that are maintained properly. Our education system would be as good as that of say South Korea or Hong Kong.

“I wasn’t comparing my country adversely to China,” Carter qualified. “I was just pointing that out because I happened to get a phone call last night.”

He said he understood that Trump is worried about China surpassing the U.S. as the world’s top economic superpower.

“I don’t really fear that time, but it bothers President Trump and I don’t know why. I’m not criticizing him — this morning,” Carter said to laughs from the audience.

Much of Carter’s Palm Sunday lesson went beyond politics, to focus on the importance of bringing virtues like peace and kindness to today’s world, and how, he said, God has given each person the freedom and the power to change their own life.

He spoke to a congregation of mostly visitors, many of whom had arrived overnight to get in line for the service. That’s become commonplace for his biweekly Sunday School lessons.

Last month Carter became the nation’s longest-living president."

SaveComment26Like5
Comments (26)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
josephene_gw

So tRump is worried?

thats a first?

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

No kidding. His trade war helped China more than it helped us. The tariffs increase the cost of American goods overseas and are projected to cost the US economy 1Trillion by 2029.

Is Trump worried the economy will take a downturn before 2020? He should be.

6 Likes Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,maifleur,others(8a)

I'm kind of glad that Carter got out ahead of the story before Trump started concocting fairytales about this conversation. Having seen what kinds of words Trump has put in other people's mouths I can't imagine what he would do here.

8 Likes Save    
Kathy

The U.S., Carter said, has been at war for all but 16 years of its 242-year history

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

As a nation we do not know who we really are. 16 years of peace? Says it all.

5 Likes Save    
numbersjunkie
I don't want to call Carter a liar, but I think he made this up. Trump would never ever make that call.
Save    
Rina

Well, my immediate reaction is that if he did make that call, it's pretty well the first admirable thing I've heard of him doing. I didn't think he had enough humility to have discussions with former presidents.

2 Likes Save    
SeaHorse

China actually wants an educated populace, unlike republicans

2 Likes Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

I'm kind of glad that Carter got out ahead of the story before Trump started concocting fairytales about this conversation.

Ain't that the truth, but trump wouldn't dare leak about his call to Carter looking for advice, that would surely make him look weak in the eyes of his supporters.....at least for a few minutes, until they take another sip of trumpaid and then suddenly praise trump for the call. Now that it's out in the open trump will say that Carter called him, probably asking for spiritual advice and guidance.

4 Likes Save    
queenmargo

You all under estimate Trump. Too bad.

2 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

"the United States [is] 'the most warlike nation in the history of the world' "

For a moment, America actually saw itself in the mirror--but then blinked and quickly looked away. The unseemly image vanished.

Kate

3 Likes Save    

"I spoke to President Carter and he said 'Donald, our country is under attack. You have to fix this. There's $3trillion in the military budget--very fine military, best in the world, Gold Star mothers--there's $3trillion in the military budget. You have to use the military budget to defend our borders. I said I will Jimmy, I will. Great guy. Not a very good president, the economy was kind of not great in the 70s but I still made BILLIONS. Lots of money. But really a great guy."

Save    
queenmargo

I said I will Jimmy, I will. Great guy. Not a very good president, the economy was kind of not great in the 70s but I still made BILLIONS. Lots of money. But really a great guy."

LOL- see he speaks the truth.

Save    
Rina

He speaks like an idiot.

6 Likes Save    

To be clear, in case anyone misses it, I invented that "quote."

11 Likes Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

But it's so believable, isn't it? LOL!

4 Likes Save    

I'll take the compliments shown by both you and Rina, margie ;-)

Save    
queenmargo

As you should.... perhaps you should write cards for Hallmark;)

A Trump collection of quotes to coincide with the occasion.

2 Likes Save    
Mattie

What did Trump call President Carter?

Save    
Rina

Babe?

1 Like Save    
Rina

Oh Miss Lindsey, you are wicked!

2 Likes Save    
enegiram

margievank

That is because he has never shown anything but his vitriolic side to the world.

3 Likes Save    
Mattie

Not us. Trump has managed to meet, and even exceed our low estimation of him, time after time. He just goes lower and lower.

I would think that "you all" over estimate Trump.

Too bad.

4 Likes Save    
Mattie

3 Likes Save    
Tilly Teabag

I don’t think conservative Christians in US actually adore DT. From what some have told me, they know his faults, but support him over abortion etc.

Save    
dandyfopp

Ah Jimmy. Funding infrastructure, bridges, education over the military is not the American way.

Keep em dumb, keep them afraid.

3 Likes Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Small Spaces Make a Tiny Bathroom Work Wonders
Light, reflection and multitasking spaces keep small bathrooms both stylish and functional
Full Story
Decorating Styles So Your Style Is: Coastal
Bright and breezy, coastal style transports you straight to the beach no matter where you call home
Full Story
Houzz Call Show Us Your Fabulous DIY Kitchen
Did you do a great job when you did it yourself? We want to see and hear about it
Full Story