SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
holly_stockley

Clad Wood Window Selection

Holly Stockley
5 years ago

I begin to think that window selection might be one of the most challenging aspects of a new build. I'm hoping for a bit of guidance, here.

Currently, my project has Pella specced - The 450 series for the most part, with a few from the Architectural line in order to get custom grilles for certain windows (which Pella only offers in that line).

However, there seems to be a general bias against Pella on the boards here, although it's hard to week through all the review posts and get a clear idea why.

OTOH, my builder has a clear bias against Anderson, based on the poor performance of the local sales rep. (It's hard to get issues resolved. And, as he pointed out, any brand can have issues). He also seems to have a little resistance to Marvin, I think for a similar reason.

Sooooo... The house contains mostly casements, with some awnings in the bedrooms, and a couple of double-hungs just to prevent smacking people on the screen porch with a swinging casement. We're looking for aluminum clad wood. Custom grilles are rather integral to the look of the house, at least in a few places. Availability in red exterior finish, with interiors primed to paint would be a big plus.

The project is in West Michigan. There is a local "elite" dealer for Jeld-Wen (meaning they carry the full line and have an authorized sales rep), a dealer for Windsor and one for Loewens. LePage doesn't seem to do the local dealer thing at all.

What would you all recommend as a good quality window, and how best to present it to my builder that won't cause him too much angst over using something that's an unknown quantity?

Comments (9)