SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barplants123

5 Different Trees and Bushes recommendations NJ zone 6-7

barplants123 barplants123
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

New Jersey zone 6-7.

Mostly full/mostly sun areas.Will water them well especailly during establishment.

_____________ (Plant 1) already have 'regular' arborvitaes along fence spaced about 5 feet apart, they were about 4ft when installed about 8 years ago and are about 6-7ft tall now.

Looking to plant something similar but that will grow taller faster, and wider to fill in some of the 5 foot space between each existing arborvitae. The base of the arborvitae is only about 2 feet away from the fence, so I don't want something that'll grow too much over the fence once it reaches that height, in other words looking for something that somwhat tapers but is also wide. Maybe need two of these new plants in between each arborvitae to fill the 5'.

Would it look tacky to alternate evergreens like this? Might just put the same types of arborvitae in between but they don't seem to grow tall enough. There's a maple tree/limbs about 20 feet above the fence line and not wanting to have anything grow too much into that tree though either.

________________ (2) for the fence corner (but about 15 feet away from it), looking to plant a very large evergreen bushes/trees, but not a pine. I'm not sure the name but I found a particular type which looks like a giant arborvitae but more oval shaped instead of cone/cylindrical, and it can be considered a nuisance because it grows so fast and big and can engulf a house if planted too close to it and not maintained, but for this corner it wouldn't be a problem.

I might plant a large oak/maple/Pine here instead though - I planted a few starter Oaks I bought form ebay last Fall in this spot but they seem to have disappeared by mid Winter. I was going to keep the best one this Spring.

_________ (3) the other corner want a tall growing (eventually about 35-40 feet) dense evergreen columnar (about 10 feet wide mid height) but not sure which type.

______ (4) looking for a pine columnar that reaches about 40 feet eventually but it may grow higher if wants to.

_______ (5) A deciduous columnar or somewhat columnar (don't want it too narrow) which may grow up to 60 feet or more (no real restriction) in place of where a white birch had died and roots removed. Preferably something with berries or seeds that wildlife can enjoy eventually, but not a fruit tree for in front of the house. Might go with another somewhat-columnar evergreen (not deciduous) for this spot too though but slightly different than the (4) plant if so.

Hoping to get these as mini plants for about $30 each also, maybe ordering online.

Comments (8)