SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_555339064

Fiddle leaf fig: Leaves curling inwards and small brown spots

Jaqui D
5 years ago

Hello,

About a month ago, I received this small fiddle leaf fig (FLF) as a gift from a friend! It is placed near a large south-facing window, but is not right beside the window because it is a bit drafty near there. She gets a lot of sunlight throughout the day and I water only when the soil is dry to slightly moist (I check by sticking a dowel in the soil). When I first received it, I also noticed that most of its leaves were curling in-wards and felt stiff (pic #1 and 2), in comparison to some of the more "supple" and leafy-like ones I've seen on other FLFs.

It's been about a month or so and it has grown two new leafs, which are quite supple and green, but not the deep dark green of its fellow leaves. I've also started noticing small brown spots on the underside of a couple of leaves (pic # 3 and 4). The weather has been on the cooler side (I live in Southern Ontario, Canada and winter is ending. So far, the weather in March/April has ranged from snow to rain/cold to cool). The air has been quite dry this winter, but during summer it gets very humid (July and Aug, especially).

I'm aware that FLFs are notorious drama queens (I had a previous one that dropped all its leaves after bringing it home, no matter how much love I gave it), and I really don't want this one to die! I guess I'm wondering if the "curling" leaves are normal and if there is anything else I can do to stop the brown spots from spreading?

Thank you for any assistance!

Pic #1

Pic #2

Pic #3

Pic #4

Comment