SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brianasplace

Retractable Screens

B Carey
5 years ago

Currently looking at Marvin and Anderson for my New build.

I prefer the Exterior and interior Look of the Anderson E series. Marvin has a much more invisible retractable screen though. I do not want regular (non-retractable) screens, even though you can barely see the Marvin screens.

Is there a great aftermarket retractable screen company? What I am finding so far all seem to have bulky frames. I wouldn't want those on the outside of my home, but since I am mainly doing casement windows, I want something very streamlined and nearly invisible for the inside. Phantom for example, has a very obvious frame for theirs. Before I settle, wanted to see if anyone had any options I am missing?

I am also considering doing aftermarket remote control blinds, although this is not a must-have. Thanks!!!

Comments (36)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

I have never used retractables for windows but have used other than phantom for my doors and found phantom is a much better quality. I can’t think of a time when I would use a retractable for my windows since I live in bug heaven

• snowcountry
    5 years ago

Have you seen these?.

https://www.wizardscreens.com/products/vistaview/

No idea how it compares to others but it looks good in the pictures.

• Related Discussions

Genius Screen Zig Zag vs Brio Screen 612 retractible screens

Q

Comments (20)
    I contacted a local "screen" company. They rep a company I hadn't heard of, Genius. I think they are relatively new. https://www.geniusscreens.com/products/door-screens/zigzag-screen. Prices were comparable to Phantom. For my 8' tall, 11' wide door, they recommended the accordion type of screen (like Brio) vs the Phantom. It has a full frame, and a nice, locking handle. It also can open from either side. It turns out that while the place I ordered my folding doors (Panoramic) reps Brio, they do not have a display. I was able to see one at my local home store, Friedman's. It didn't look like it has a full frame, and the handle was flimsy and had no lock. I have a call in to the Panoramic rep to confirm.
    ...See More

Need vendor for Retractable screens/glass clear vinyl for lanai!

Q

Comments (3)
    We used phantom screens for our doors, which is supplied by your vendor (Southern Screens). We're in MN. We've had ours for 2 years and are very happy with them.
    ...See More

Retractable Screen Door Install on Impact French Door?

Q

Comments (1)
    If it is not tested as you are speaking of it will be considered an impact rated approved application. God forbid you have an issue, your HO Insurance may not cover the damage. That being said I cannot see it compromising the integrity but my opinion does not matter.
    ...See More

What are pros and cons of magnetic closure vs retractable screen doors

Q

Comments (1)
    I’m not familiar with the magnetic but we do have the retractable. The track needs to be keep free of debris and the user needs to be exacting to operate (so little kids and anyone with mobility issues would probably have issues with it). We have teens in our house so it works for us. But if I would do it again I’d try harder for a nice modern simple screen door. I’ll also add that if you entertain a lot the retractable can be an issue with people not familiar with it. It can get jammed up pretty easily (usually easily fixed as well - so far). Hopefully you will get someone to answer about the magnetic option.
    ...See More
  • B Carey
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Patricia-Thanks. Hoping to get everything on my list.

SnowCountry-Those look nice, although they don't show any window applications, so I'm guessing they specialize in larger openings.

• One Devoted Dame
    5 years ago

Totally ignore me if this won't work for ya, but have you considered traditional outside screens with casements that swing *in* so you won't need interior bug screens?

If the objection is to visible bug screens, regardless of whether they're inside or outside, then my apologies! lol

• bpath
    5 years ago

There are aftermarket retractable screens? I'm going to look into it. I hate my outside screens (and I don't use that word often here). We plan to replace our double-hungs, but I priced casements (in part to have retractable inside screens), but the cost was quite high. I'll look into replacing with double-hungs with a separate screen installation, although I imagine that will add up to the same if not more. But I wouldn't get retractables for every window, just ones where we ar most likely to open them.

• bpath
    5 years ago

Bcarey, I see that Pella finally has my dream: a double-hung window with integrated rollascreen. Did you look at Pella?

• B Carey
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Path-Yeah, I just Hate screens! I‘m Not a Pella fan...BUT...I went on their site today. They don’t do a good job showing their retractable screen for their Casements. If I was doing Souble Hung, Pella would have to win for the retractable screen....that is amazing! I’m going to stop in and see what they have. I can’t believe that they can have a completely invisible screen for the double hung but everybody else’s tracks for their screens are so obvious!

• girl_wonder
    5 years ago

Just looked at these e a few days ago. Even the Marvin retractable screen has a thicker frame than a regular window—it’s what’s needed to handle that retractable screen. Have you seen Marvin’s ”clear screen” (or whatever it’s called). Close up, it doesn’t look that diff, but if you have someone hold it up several feet away, it’s a big improvement, IMO. I believe other brands have their version too.

• B Carey
    Original Author
    5 years ago

girl_wonder-I didn't mind Marvin's screens. They were bulkier than I would like but not as bulky as the aftermarket I'm seeing tend to be. And yes, the screen is very clear. I am leaning towards Anderson E series windows though as they have a less busy/more modern interior and exterior look. I will check out Pella too. I was hoping to find something aftermarket so the windows themselves had an equal playing field.

• waverly6
    5 years ago

I may be misunderstanding your question, and if so I apologize. I replaced my rotting windows in my house in 2001 with Pella casement windows because I wanted their retractable screens. They are on a roll and you roll the down and clip the metal strip at the base just by pushing on it. I LOVE THEM. They allow probably 30% more light through. They don't get full of dust and holes and cat claw marks. Most of the year,they windows are closed as I have either the air conditioning or the heat on. Why darken the house for 350 days when they windows only get opened the other 15 days a year. At a beach house I have Anderson double hung windows with full screens and what a pain. They bend, they buckle, the screens get damaged, they get full of dust, the terrorist cats claw at them and they block so much more light and view.

So take a look at Pella.

• millworkman
    5 years ago

Unfortunately Pella may or may not have a very good screen. I just have no love lost for the windows. They have the same issues they have had forever without trying to fix them in my opinion.

• B Carey
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Waverly6-It does seem that Pella May be the innovator in retractable screens. I am going to take a look and at least see what they offer.

millworkman-Yeah, I actually had 2 new Pella picture windows put in a decade ago and the 1st winter dealt with condensation. Pella did nothing to correct it and said my humidity was wrong.

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

I always thought Pella was a pretty good company until I began reading here on Houzz.

• bpath
    5 years ago

Has Pella changed? The windows I know from 1956 and 1970 were fine, the 1970 ones are still going strong.

• Holly Stockley
    5 years ago

bpath, I was just going through that same thing. Apparently so. To the extent that there is an ongoing class action lawsuit over the tendency of the Architect, Designer, and Proline series to rot under the aluminum. And, when homeowners complain get told (wait for it...) their home's humidity must be causing the problem.

I'm busy exploring other options like Loewen, Kolbe, and Lepage.

• Holly Stockley
    5 years ago

(FWIW, Lepage also appears to have roll down screens.)

• B Carey
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Holly-Are you saying you are dealing with the same thing on Pella?

I looked at the Lepage website, and didn't see any info on their screens. I'll see if there is a local dealer. I'm open to other brands, just don't want to compromise quality.

• Holly Stockley
    5 years ago

Well, I'm also trying to CHOOSE windows, and hearing not a lot good re: Pella.

I'm going to look at Loewen and Kolbe tomorrow. I can let you know what their status is on screens, if you like.

• B Carey
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Holly-Yes, let me know! Some of the brands you are looking at don’t have dealers in Nebraska.

• Holly Stockley
    5 years ago

Will do.

I also intend to ask how hard those elements are to repair. If they have samples, I will take pictures.

• jslazart
    5 years ago

My current house had Pella casements with retractable screens installed in 2003ish, and both the windows and screens have been great here in the dry desert. We also have two sets of sliders and the screen on the heavily used one sometimes won't slide smoothly on the track, but so far it's not annoying enough to figure out if we need to fix it.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

I have had a Pella storm door in my kitchen now for at least 6-8s years - my DD has the same at her house. They both have a retractable screen at the top. No problems at all!

• B Carey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Holly-I looked at Pella today. I LOVED the Contemporary line. Their rollscreens for the double hung were awesome but not that fantastic sheer see-through I was hoping for. The rollscreen for the casements was pretty hidden also but still would have liked a more sheer screen. BUT, I went on the website and it says the rollscreens are only available in the sliding doors on the Contemporary line...even though the rep told me I could get rollscreens on the contemporary line. Ugghh. Maybe I'll just put cheap fiberglass windows in and wait 10 years before some decent innovations come along. I'm going to look at the Phantom screens again, but it doesn't look like their is a dealer in my area. How hard can it be to get everything we want in a window???

It does look like Kolbe has a very nice barely noticable retractable screen.

• Ron Natalie
    5 years ago

My last house and the Pella RollScreens on the casements. Worked pretty good.
    I've got Phantom Screens on some of my patio doors. Happy with them as well.

• ILoveRed
    5 years ago

B Carey...we used Marvin Casement s with retractable screens. I love being able to see out without a screen blocking my view and being able to easily slide the screen over and open a window when I wish. The screen comes out of the top frame easier than it should.

We we still need to clean the bottom interior frame of building dust, etc. for our screens to slide open easily (or so we have been told).

right now I’m giving the screens. 4.0 out of 5. May up my rating after cleaning the bottom frames.

The red circled area is the screen frame. Sent this to my curtain/blind person trying to determine the wisdom of interior mount solar shades.

• Holly Stockley
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I visited the showroom with the Kolbe windows today. They had a casement set up with both the hinged screen (left), and the pull down (right). Here they are both closed:

Here is the retractable screen open. You can see the black brush border that is the bottom of the screen piece here:

And a shot of it half pulled down (it won't stay in this position, it either lock in place at the very bottom or shoots back up like a roller shade)

But you can at least see how much frame it has.

I didn't get to ask about how easy it is to repair or replace, or what the upcharge is per window. (This is a lumberyard, and they're not terribly interested in people who wander in off the street - they pretty much sell to contractors. We'll be meeting with their window guy later and I'll ask then)

(Edited to fix the photos)

• B Carey
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I love red-Thank you! Do you recall which line of windows those were?

Holly-Thank you. That retractable screen is very minimal! I’ll look at their site again.

• ILoveRed
    5 years ago

B Carey..Marvin Ultimate Casement. We love these windows.

If you want to look into another window..we had Andersen 400 dh windows in our last build. Fifteen years and they performed flawlessly. Good luck!

https://www.marvin.com/marvin/windows/casement

• Holly Stockley
    5 years ago

Kolbe has a video of their mechanism in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxGkH8pnPE8

I will say the model we looked at retracted faster and harder than this one, although it was a shorter window. They also have aftermarket kits available for these, so presumably you can replace them if they break.

Note that the triple window allows you to see just how much glass you're losing to the screen housing.

• Holly Stockley
    5 years ago

There is also a video of the Loewen mechanism: (Who would have known was a trove Youtube is for window shopping?)

https://youtu.be/h54aPwjSBwU

• B Carey
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Holly. I think I will have to look at some of these windows when I go to Kansas City.

• bpath
    4 years ago

Just talked with a glass guy to repair a broken pane at a house with 1970-era Pella casements and slider patio doors. I asked the guy if Pella had changed, and he said yes; the old Pella's like I'm repairing were great but the new ones have issues. Sigh. He doesn't sell Windows, just does glass, so no agenda on his part.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

I have a client that put remote control blinds on all 27 windows in his entry/dining/kitchen/living room space. He can close or open the blind on ever window at the same time. He says it is very entertaining.

• millworkman
    4 years ago

"the old Pella's like I'm repairing were great but the new ones have issues. "

Unfortuately the newer ones with issues started in the late 70's and continue to this day.

• sumac
    4 years ago

I have Anderson Eagles with retractable screens and LOVE LOVE LOVE them.

But they are pricey