SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Where have you traveled...alone?

Sueb20
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

DH is taking a solo trip next spring or summer (a photography excursion, which I have no interest in). This means (by my accounting) I will be “owed“ a solo trip of my own. I like the idea of a spa/wellness trip, which I have done in the past just for a weekend. This time, I am free to go for a week or so. Traveling from Boston, and most likely sometime between January and May. I would definitely like to go somewhere warm but not too exotic (not going to Fiji, but I’d go to some place like Turks and Caicos, or FL...). Any suggestions?

My DS is in AZ, so going there would be a win-win (warmth plus DS) but I think DH and I will likely be visiting him together sometime in that time frame.

While I’m at it, we are also looking for ideas for a trip for our 30th anniversary (I was 9 when I got married) next spring, too. Bonus points if that trip can be combined with a stop in Tucson. :-)

Comments (25)

• Bunny
    5 years ago

I went to Israel alone from the West Coast. I'd been there before with a friend and stayed in the same place. There were other people coming to the place, so I knew I wouldn't be totally alone once I got there. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

• maddielee
    5 years ago

Decide the one thing you would love to do or learn, then find a place that fits that need.

If spending time in spa, fine.

But if you have always wanted to learn pottery, stained glass, cooking or writing skills, etc. there are plenty of places that have week long classes that might work for you.

eta: we have traveled a lot. We have seen what we need to see. Staying in a quiet cabin is good for us.

• Related Discussions

Do you have "love bugs" where you are?

Q

Comments (16)
    Flamey, you may no have lobe bugs but you've got chiggers. ack! I remember 'love bugs' when we drover around the US many years ago. The love bugs were a mess ... in our car's grill, on the windows, smeared across the hood ... but my ankles and waist were thick with chigger bites after one night in a KOA camp ground in Little Rock, AR. We don't have either of those bugs here, in fact where we live, we don't even see mosquitoes, and that's just the way I like it! Jodi-
    ...See More

If you have a second refrigerator or freezer, where do you keep it?

Q

Comments (14)
    We put the old double door fridge freezer in the back sunroom it holds drinks only and over flow freezer items. It still works perfectly, we do not have the ice maker hooked up because there is not a water supply there. I have considered getting a small upright stainless steel freezer to go in the kitchen, we have a nook one could go in but we have not had any luck finding one we like and that will fit.
    ...See More

It’s Not What You Have; It’s Where You Place It

Q

Comments (59)
    When I sold my apartment people assumed we had staged it, but we didn't really change a thing except we probably kept the desk and mail more neat. Ida, I think that people are really losing their sense of the mind's eye and their ability to visualize and imagine despite being otherwise intelligent. Most people don't need that skill anymore and as knowledge gets more specialized, this just get shoved to the back. We also don't need to be able to spell correctly, or write grammatically in many fields anymore. Obviously one sees a lot of misspellings and and poor grammar in these forums. Or at the very least poor proofing, which still sort of proves it's not important. How many times have you read posts by people who misspell, have poor grammar, and don't seem very culturally literate who are building a 6000 square foot house with all the bells and whistles and no mortgage. It seems to happen enough. Obviously they are good at something. But being "educated" or well rounded is of less and less importance.
    ...See More

Have you noticed RAD (or SAD) where you live?

Q

Comments (1)
    Boy, always something, now it's apples! There's that pathogen that kills bananas, citrus greening and that destructive olive disease, etc !!
    ...See More
  • cooper8828
    5 years ago

The best one was a very long solo road trip to the national parks in Utah. I loved every minute of it!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Terriks, you are adventurous! I am most likely looking for an alone-alone trip. I do travel with friends too but I’m really looking for a week on my own — just to see what it’s like!

• User
    5 years ago

Like Terriks, I travel alone quite a bit, but many times meet up with others. England, Scotland, Wales was a rail/drive trip alone. Then a friend living in England went with me to Ireland. France was solo trips in the past, but meeting up with friends this year. Last year I did 3 weeks in Peru where I was a solo traveler in a group. Eons ago I was the sole adult traveling with my young son and one or the other of his cousins, mostly camping: MI, WI, SD, ND, MT, NV, AZ, CA and HI.

• bpath
    5 years ago

Have t done alone-alone travel since college. The closest was taking a walking tour in Yorkshire before I started dating my now-DH. I traveled alone, was randomly placed with a roommate. Except for the married couple, the mother-daughter pair (all from England) and the 3 teachers from Germany, no one knew each other. We were from several countries and had a great time walking for a week.

I have, when traveling with DH on business, spent time in a city by myself, but that's not quite the same thing. And I don't think I'd want to, I'd rather join a class or a project or, really, another walking group. I need the structure.

• terezosa / terriks
    5 years ago

I think that taking some kind of class is a great way to travel solo.. You have a group of people that you can interact with as much as you want. The best thing about traveling alone is being able to do what you want when you want, and not feeling responsible for anyone else.

• tinam61
    5 years ago

I have never traveled totally alone, nor do I have a desire to. Nor has my husband, although we've both traveled without the other with friends. As mentioned above, I have traveled with the mister and we've done our own thing (especially if I went with him on business), but that's as alone as I've done. LOL Nothing against those who want to go the solo route, but it's just not my thing. My husband and I travel well together and we are pretty spontaneous, prefer no agenda, which is why we don't cruise and rarely do tours. Terriks, you remind me of my mom. She loved to travel but my dad is a real homebody. She went on many trips with friends or groups. Once my dad retired, he was a little more relaxed about traveling, but he still didn't like to be away from home for long.

As for an anniversary trip, is there somewhere that has special meaning to you? Somewhere you've both been wanting to go but haven't yet?

• hooked123
    5 years ago

I am reading a book about this now called, “Tales of a Female Nomad” by Rita Golden Gelman. The book is great, she took many more risks than I would be comfortable with. I would like to travel to Italy alone, I want to spend a week in the Vatican.

I noticed that you mentioned the Turks and Caicos. I recently went and it was very beautiful.

• gsciencechick
    5 years ago

I used to travel alone when I was single if I wanted to see a concert. I'd go to the city where I live now or to Myrtle Beach House of Blues.

The most adventurous thing I did was when I was giving a presentation in central China as part of a group, I planned a few extra days in Beijing solo. Lots of help from everyone here. I stayed at the Grand Hyatt that had a lot of English speaking staff and guests, I paid through the hotel for a valet to meet me at the airport and take me to the hotel, and then I had a one-on-one travel guide for my tours who arranged everything. It really was great and I always felt comfortable during my stay. I did pretty much all the touristy things: Great Wall, Tiananmen Square & Forbidden City, Summer Place, and Temple of Heaven. Knowing that crime is very low and there are no guns helps a lot for peace of mind. Thirteen hour flight back from Beijing to Detroit, then connecting home.

• OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

When I was working, I traveled a lot and probably 70% of my trips were solo. The others were with co-workers who were likely on the same plane as me and then we often were close associates staying in the same hotel and going to the same meetings. The times I was solo I didn’t mind it at all, even when I was overseas. My personal time was my own and I relished the quiet time or the opportunity to explore a new city or places I had not visited.

For an anniversary trip, have you been to the Canadian Rockies? I’m thinking Banff, Lake Louise, and that area. Very scenic and you could also pick up one of the rail tours and stay in the historic hotels (Banff Springs) and drive to some of the other locations on the way back to Vancouver.

• User
    5 years ago

I was also a child bride ;)

I have never traveled without my husband. Feels odd to say that and why am I commenting? Because I'm in awe of those who can just take off and go to all these wonderful places...

I can't for a few reasons, but I always read these threads with joy and a bit of envy :)

I imagine, if I was alone, I would be wandering around lost all the time (I'm one who can't find her way out of a paper bag)...

So many places I travel via the internet tho...one I would especially love to see in person..

In Thailand..

• 3katz4me
    5 years ago

Lots of places both domestic and international when I traveled for work but always with DH for fun and vacation. I wouldn't mind some vacation travel by myself. I would just pick an interesting place I'd like to see and off I'd go. For me personally a spa trip wouldn't be of interest. Maybe somewhere warm if it was the middle of winter but there would have to be something interesting to see and do as I get bored lounging around the beach/pool very long.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    5 years ago

For anniversary trip, how about getting to Venice on the Orient Express. There is a fancy train for seeing Scotland as well, Flying Scottsman, i think. I havent done these yet but DH is very keen to try. We’ll wait a few years when the children are on their own, they roll their eyes bigly at the mention of such. Too Disney, they decry.

For solo trip, i enjoyed a trip to Chicago on my own not long agao. Lots of architecture and art. Not very adventurous, but fun for three days solo.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ohhh...Banff and Lake Louise are on our bucket list! That’s an idea.

Problem is, DH is an avid (sometimes obsessive) photographer and I’m afraid an anniversary trip there would turn into a photo expedition for him. But really that’s true for any of our vacations.

In 27 years of parenting, we have only traveled without kids a handful of times — mostly long weekends, and only one full week (20th anniversary to Paris). We’ve taken our kids all over, though —in the US and Europe and even Korea. We are going to Santa Fe in Oct for 10 days, after our “baby” leaves for college. I can’t even picture a trip that long w/out kids!

I do like the idea of a crafty/class angle for my solo trip. Something with some structure but also plenty of downtime.

• maddielee
    5 years ago

Many years ago I spent a few weeks in workshops at Arrowmont in TN. Nothing fancy when it came to housing, but the classes and people I met were wonderful.

Arrowmont

• lulu bella
    5 years ago

Oh goodness I see maddielee just posted a few moments ago and I am glad I get to see that suggestion. That arrowmont looks so interesting. I don't know that I will do it but its one of those things that makes me grateful for this forum. The things we become aware of thanks to the goodness of posters. Intriguing. Who knew??

• hhireno
    5 years ago

I spent 6 months in Europe, only meeting or staying with friends 1/3 of that time. This was 30 years ago (1989) and pre-Euro. One downside was having to wait in line to exchange currency in every country and wait in line again to find lodging, it would have been nice to have someone to split those tasks. Nowadays the money exchange wouldn’t be an issue. And at my age, I would pre-book the lodging and not just wing it.

I also spent 2 weeks in Japan alone.

Since marriage, I’ve spent weeks in our vacation place alone and I go to Europe every year, mostly without him, but I meet up with family so I’m not alone. I don’t like to be apart from him for more than 2 weeks. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Maddie, I am totally going to Arrowmont!! At least once.

• tinam61
    5 years ago

You guys are almost in my backyard! Arrowmont is a neat little artsy/crafty community. Right at the base of our beautiful Smoky Mountains.

• lascatx
    5 years ago

New Zealand, Australia, Washington DC, Philadelphia, NYC and many cities in TX. From a couple of days to one month. Those were mostly in years before kids. With cell phones and the internet, you can stay in touch easier now -- and research anywhere you want to go.

• leela4
    5 years ago

My DH is somewhat travel averse, so I have traveled a lot by myself, but always in the US. We've done some trips together to Mexico-once to climb some volcanoes-but that was over 25 years ago. I've been to Europe without him, but was with another couple.

I have come to realize over the last 10 years or so that DH will never be comfortable traveling abroad, both physically and emotionally. (He is very, very fit, but has some orthopedic issues which make sitting for long periods of time, unpleasant, at best.) I am sorry about this, because half the fun of traveling is sharing new (or old/ancient/beautiful) things with him. But I understand.

There are lots of places I would like to go, and will eventually go by myself.

No advice re anniversary trips. Our 30th is this August as well.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    5 years ago

I've always travelled a lot for my job and when I was single I tried to turn nearly every trip into a long weekend. So I have been alone in many places, although being alone when you are single is different because sometimes you do ...ahem... meet someone. I am not uncomfortable being alone, but I usually find it boring after day or two. Based on my experience, then, I would go on some sort of educational or culinary or outdoors trip with a group. For example, I've always wanted to do a Backroads trip. I also have a friend who specializes in luxury travel, and she has organized a few "luxury wellness retreats for women." One of them I've considered is in Morocco.

One question to ask yourself is, if DH is into photography, what are you in to? Without having to consider others, what would you find the most fun? You could also consider voluntourism.

As far as an anniversary trip, do what i just did. One of my kids has an app called "been there". I used it to enter every place we have been. It then creates like a 3-d spinning globe and shows you where you "missed!" Based on that, I have some new ideas. For example, I am missing a whole swath of (true) Eastern Europe, from Estonia to Latvia to Poland to Slovakia and Slovenia. That is now on our list.

Other ideas. Maybe it is not so much where you go as how. For example, I have been to Paris many times. But renting a Paris apartment for a month and living there, enjoying the quotidian, might be a totally different experience. Same for living in a bungalow in, say, Costa Rica.

How about training for a certain big trip together, like a big bike tour or climbing a mountain? Happiness researchers say anticipating vacation is a large part of the satisfaction we get from travel. ETA -- I was trying to remember and just looked it up, I always wanted to do the Milford Track.http://vivalifestyleandtravel.com/new-zealand/health-and-fitness/list/best-hikes

How about Antarctica? We went just to tick the box on Continent 7, but we all loved it.

A luxury cruise? The Amazon?

Those little huts on stilts in the South Pacific?

• dedtired
    5 years ago

Once I rented a cabin on a lake in New Hampshire for a week by myself. I’ve also rented a cottage on Cape Cod. I go alone but the owner/ neighbor has become my friend. I also would tack a couple days onto business trips and saw Monterey that way, and parts of a Florida. In NYC, I’d always go to the TKTS booth and get a ticket to a show. Another time I went back to visit my college and then visited the Ithaca NY area. I went on a trip to Italy alone but it was a tour so I made friends.