SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
80sgirlatheart

Ack. Painted my walls gray and now my trim looks yellow!!

80sgirlatheart
5 years ago

I have cream trim all over my house. I just painted the walls gray and now the trim looks yellowish on our bookshelves and fireplace in our great room. It looks fine everywhere else since it is only on windowsills, floor trim, etc. I am thinking about painting the bookshelves and fireplace a white that would complement the cream color. Any suggestions? I need a few to try out and see how they look. At a loss as to picking a white with the right undertone. TIA!

Comments (44)

• grapefruit1_ar
    5 years ago

So often one change creates a domino effect. For the past several years almost everyone tries to use gray in their interior and on the exterior. So often the results are not good. Most dilemmas seem to focus on gray " something"!

I guess this is what " keeps us in business"'. In my opinion the gray does not work. I would repaint the walls rather than deal with the trim.

• yvonnecmartin
    5 years ago

You could paint the bookshelves to match the wall. Then when you paint the fireplace white it will look more logical rather than mismatched with the woodwork.

• Related Discussions

Can I paint my kitchen cabinets a brighter white than my trim?

Q

Comments (2)
    Well you can, but if the paint police find out, I’ll disavow any knowledge of it ;-) You’re not really looking for a “brighter white,” you’re looking for a tile and paint combination with similar undertones. White Dove is a yellow white. If the tile you love makes this apparent, try a white with cooler undertones. Chantilly Lace is beautiful, and much cooler than the White Dove. It might be a great choice. White Dove Chantilly Lace
    ...See More

Exterior paint - looking for a trim color for my house.

Q

Comments (1)
    I know when I landscape the front yard it will add color but for now I need to paint the trim. Please help!!!
    ...See More

Alabaster Cabinets Looking Yellow - Looking for Wall Paint Advice!

Q

Comments (3)
    I would start with your lighting. What kelvin bulbs are you using? We used SW Alabaster in my daughters house. It is the main wall color throughout but she has mixed it with gray accent walls in her kitchen/dining room. All ceiling, base and door trim is SW Extra White. The kitchen cabinets are an off white and island is dark gray with white subway tile. The Alabaster looks fine in her house and doesn’t appear yellow like yours though that can be the photo. It’s difficult to capture the true color. I do know we had to change from her initial gray choices as they were way off once we did samples and checked throughout the day with different light. Once you try different bulbs, I would ask your SW store for a paint deck to bring home to choose several to get samples. I always paint samples on large panels and move around in different light. You might also go to a tile store and check out sample boards. Google the term “grays that go with SW Alabaster” and you’ll find many colors go beautifully with Alabaster. Can you take another photo further back so we see more of the room? What rooms are adjacent?
    ...See More

Black window trim? Just painted my house white (from mustard yellow)

Q

Comments (17)
    Wow, it really looks great! I know you just got rid of yellow on your house but have you considered a yellow door? It could be a homage to the old color and be a really great modern pop. Here's a mock-up of black window trim. I'm not a fan of the extreme contrast here. Not sure I like it as much as say, black windows. Your windows look like they are in good condition and don't need replacing, so that doesn't seem like a viable option.
    ...See More
  • Jennifer K
    5 years ago

Before you paint anything else, try changing your lightbulbs to a cooler temperature. That may fix the issue, especially if you only notice the "yellow" at night.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Cheaper to paint the trim Simply White.

• pricklypearcactus
    5 years ago

One other thing to consider: the color of the stone on your fireplace. If you shift the fireplace trim to a cooler white, the stone may start looking more pink.

• tatts
    5 years ago

You don't paint the shelves the same color as the walls. It looks cheap, like a low-budget landlord did it. And it won't match anyway, since it will be a semigloss.

It looks cream on my monitors, and I think it's okay. And, don't forget, those shelves will be full of stuff--books and photos and treasures--and that will cut down on the mass of that color. I'd leave them as they are and put the stuff in them that you want on display. Then live with it for a while.

• User
    5 years ago

Well, I love the way it looks...but then you would have to change your rug and the picture...

But it's a great (and sadly very underused) color combination.

• rinked
    5 years ago

I could say you should have picked a more tan-ish greay, but that would not help, what's done is done..

Paint the bookcases the same color grey, they are rather overwhelming now (or a shade lighter/darker). Leave the trim and fireplace, that white goes well with the floors.

And is the inner part of the mantle stone or paint? It would look great if that would be the same grey as your picture frame above.

• aprilneverends
    5 years ago

I'm with penny and tatts here..I'd leave everything as is, fill bookshelves with books and whatever you wanted to display there, maybe add a bit of cream in accessories (a throw? a flower pot(with a plant I mean)) ? doesn't have to be a lot..just disperse it a bit, will look very natural)

It's not the best shade of gray of course next to that trim,, but I can see what huge hassle would be to repaint..and I wouldn't start re painting the whole trim because of a wall color.

Right now it's really obvious to you because you've just painted..it's in your face more. But you'll see it in different lights, and not empty, and it might be that sometimes it'll be the color of the rest of your trim..maybe half the time. Maybe three quarters of the time. I don't know. We see the picture static..as your camera captured it in that very moment. In real life, it's moving and changing..the light and the colors it influences..

The more different shades of neutrals in different textures you subtly add-the better it'll be, and the more depth it'll have.

If I thought it for a very bad situation-I'd give a different advice. But I'll try to do simple stuff first. And yes, live with it a while. See how it feels.

• 80sgirlatheart
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@aprilneverends- So true that a picture is static. During some parts of the day, the bookcases and fireplace look great. Other parts of the day, they look yellow. I think I might just fill up the bookcases first and then rethink. Painting all of the trim is out of the question since the rooms on the first floor are all open to each other and it would be the doors, windowsills, lots of trim.

I am also planning to paint or stain the staircase and have been hesitant to pull the trigger. I am afraid to paint any of it white or off-white for fear that it will clash with the trim. Also don't want the room to be so much white. I actually like the warmness of cream. Thinking of pewter spindles and maybe a dark stain on stairs. A chance to pull in some deeper color.

• Apple JT
    5 years ago

I think it's beautiful -- maybe with some new art though.... I agree to place your objects on it and see what you think.

• midcenturymodernlove
    5 years ago

Gray and cream do not go together, in my opinion. I'd change the color of one or the other.

• Bunny
    5 years ago

I like gray and cream together. What throws me is the artwork (I think that's what it is) above the fireplace. It seems from a cooler palette than everything else.

• Ivy Lou
    5 years ago

It doesn't look bad to mix cream and gray, but in your case, it's a little off-balance. Add more cream decor or other elements that make the color palette look intentional. Maybe add cream curtains, cream pillows on those gray sofas, and change the artwork above the fireplace to something with more creamy tones. Unless you are trying to move away from cream and going gray? In which case, the best solution is to paint the trim a more neutral/gray white.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

Don't duplicate a mistake by adding more cream anything especially if you plan to keep the BIG WHITE AND GRAY element over the fireplace. Just can't use cream next to that statement piece.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    5 years ago

What is the paint color name and number on the walls?

What is the paint color name and number on the bookcases/trim?

• kjoy1
    5 years ago

I think it is definitely worth the time to fill the shelves to see if you like it before you paint...maybe add artwork with some warmer tones to tie into the bookcases...

• cat_ky
    5 years ago

I dont think it looks bad, so I wouldnt change it. If you are really unhappy, then change the paint on the wall. It appears greenish on my monitor, rather than gray. Also, change your light bulbs, it could be making the trim look more yellow, next to the gray.

• suedonim75
    5 years ago

Beverly's picture is totally what you should do!

• blfenton
    5 years ago

With the grey couches and the grey in the rug I definitely would not paint the bookcases grey.

• Molly D. Zone4B
    5 years ago

Beverly nailed it. I’m sure Lori will be back with suggested colors once she knows what the existing colors are. The fireplace surround looks a little peachy/pinky on my monitor but I wouldn’t dwell on it.

• chloebud
    5 years ago

Beverly's Simply White looks nice. Hopefully Lori will be back to make suggestions, too. Try to answer her questions.

• 80sgirlatheart
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Lori- Finally home from work and able to look at the paint cans.

For the walls- Benjamin Moore Rockport Gray HC-105

Fireplace wall- Benjamin Moore Taos Taupe 2111-40

Was planning to stone the fireplace wall but was really expensive. Hoped to paint and have it look good. Thinking we need another color or thinking of wallpapering the fireplace wall since is two story and should be a statement of sorts.

For the trim- This was the color when we moved in. I don't have the original color but we tried to color match not too long ago for some touch ups.

Is Farrell Calhoun 3300 INT EVERGREEN SEMIGLOSS

D-1.5, C-19, F-1.5

Also say 17479 3300

Hopefully this is good info. for you. Looking forward to your thoughts!

I appreciate everyone's input!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    5 years ago

I think you need green. Would definitely try accessorizing the shelves and make sure to incorporate pops of some sort of greenery and maybe new art with hits of green as well.

Try that and see if the yellowness gets dialed down a few notches.

• 80sgirlatheart
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Lori- Any suggestions on wall art? The frame and stikwood are most likely there to stay. Would prefer to put a pic or mirror on top. Inset is 54 inches by 74 inches.

What do you think of painting the bookshelves gray as per above?

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    5 years ago

What do you think of painting the bookshelves gray as per above?

So then the next time you want to change the wall color, you have to paint case goods too.

It's a band-aid. Not a cure.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    5 years ago

Any suggestions on wall art?

I'm sure others will have ideas for you because they are crazy talented and creative.

This is not my forte.

• 80sgirlatheart
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Lori- If we took down the whole fireplace wall art and painted that wall another color, what do you suggest? Same as the other walls? Or another color that woul complement the cream better?

• User
    5 years ago

You said: "I just painted the walls gray" Did you not mean ALL of the walls?

The photo looks all one color...but I see you have 2 colors listed further on down the post. Are they that close?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

If you go with the charcoal bookshelves then you can leave all the time in the rest of the home the color you already painted it. Don't view these as built ins, but furnishings. See image below of dark cabinets with accessories. You can use cream ceramic pieces on shelves.

You can use Chalk paint and distress the finish if you like.

• User
    5 years ago

I much prefer the contrast...I love how it looks.

But it's your house and I feel that you really dislike this creme color...So ask yourself what would make you happy...

If you're wanting to repaint, then you need to repaint ALL of the trim in the house as well as the bookcases...otherwise it's too choppy.

Changing the wall color won't fix the bookcases and trim.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

Penny people paint built ins different colors often and it doesn't look choppy.

• User
    5 years ago

Right, Bev, but 80's girl already has 2 wall colors and a white ceiling. Adding in 2 more colors (trim and bookcases) will make it too choppy imo.

Also, there are many differing planes in that area..

• 80sgirlatheart
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Lori and others. What are your thoughts on us painting the bookcases and fireplace a shade of white that would go with the trim? Is that a possibility?

• User
    5 years ago

Re you last comment, is you trim a different color then the bookcases? I’m on my phone so can’t see the photo very well.

I’d repaint the bookcases and fp surround white. I think white goes better with grays and black and creams go better with browns and muted earthy tones. I also like the dark photoshopped ones above. If you keep the cream I think it will look more intentional and cohesive if you repeat that cream color in the room. Is it anywhere else? It doesn’t look like it from this photo. Looks like your rug has an off-white.

I think it would be more challenging to repeat the cream and to make it look intentional and good. Again, my first choice I think would be to paint light. I would choose BM Simply White for the bookcases (it’s an off-white.). If you wanted a true white look at BM Chantilly Lace. I think a white also makes sense over the cream because of your rug colors.

That said you will see the pink of the tile more going with white. I’d either repeat it or prime and paint right over it. (I’d go with painting it the same as the surround.) My second choice would be the dark color for thr bookcases and surround. I think that looks pretty sharp.

Whatever you go with, even if you embrace the cream, once you add books and other items to the shelves that will make a big difference. The eye will be less focused on the cases I think.

Please post an update with what you decide. :)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    5 years ago

What are your thoughts on us painting the bookcases and fireplace a shade of white that would go with the trim? Is that a possibility?

I thought they were all the same color - book cases, trim and fireplace.

If they are not all the same color, then absolutely paint the book cases and fireplace the same color as your trim. Get rid of the cream on the book cases. Edit and simplify.

• 80sgirlatheart
    Original Author
    5 years ago

They are all the same color. Sorry for the confusion.

I should have asked if there is a shade of white that I could paint the bookcases and fireplace that would complement the cream trim that is throughout the house. Or is white (on bookcases and fireplace) adjacent to cream trim a no-no?

• cat_ky
    5 years ago

If you paint it white, and still keep the cream trim, to me, it would look like you started to paint and never finished. No, I would not do that. I would just change the wall color in that room, which is a whole lot easier to do, than paint those cabinets.

• User
    5 years ago

I think the cabinets would be easier and most likely cheaper than the walls. Looks like she has high ceilings.

Did you just have the trim painted cream? I would use an off-white at the creamiest with using grays. I was going to suggest painting the white in this room and working on the others later as you can but I don’t know how open your house is. If you like the wall color I would still repaint the cases, fp, and trim myself before messing with the walls.

• 80sgirlatheart
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Sheeisback GW. You are correct. I have 2 story ceilings. Plus, the wall color is throughout my first floor. It looks great everywhere else. Even with the cream trim since the trim is only on the floors and in the window wells. Painting the bookcases would be my cheapest option.

• User
    5 years ago

Bm cloud white is another off-white option that’s a little creamier than simply white. That one may work better with the existing cream trim color.

• abcde fghij
    5 years ago

I have noticed that when more than one white undertone is used close to each other in a room, the eyes and brain compare the undertone colors and the undertone colors become more visible. The white/gray artwork and white in the rug are probably causing the yellow undertones in your trim to be more visible. Maybe if you removed all whites that have non yellow undertones the yellow would be less visible, and you don't have to paint anything. Also, non yellow medium to dark browns tend to make white with yellow undertones look more white.

• williann
    5 years ago

We painted our kitchen cabinets SW Alabaster which is a warm white. When they finally took down the covers from ceiling, I about cried. It looked like a pale yellow! That was all due to the sun hitting the walls and transferring on the cabinets. Once the walls were painted (SW Requisite Gray), it looked great! I see you have lovely gray sofas.

I agree with those that say, decorate the cabinets and see how you feel about it. Give it a little while. Right now you're probably focusing on color. It may not be so bad after all! BUT, if it really, really bothers you, then I like a white contrast to the gray.