SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
lavender12145

Mirror in dining room

lavender12145
3 years ago

My dining room is 17x14.5 , and ceiling is 9 feet. The table is inbuilt marble 11x4.25 feet oblong.

There is a 72 inch long buffet table along one wall. I plan on putting some art and two lamps on it.

i also want to put a large mirror , so I was thinking I should put it on the wall opposite the buffet table.

1) what sized mirror you think would be appropriate.

2) also any frame color recommendations? Should I go with a brown one that matches the color of buffet? Or should I go with a light gold frame ? or Any other options ? I think the art work on buffet

is going to be multicolored . Or tones of blues/ purples etc ..

Comments (56)

• lavender12145
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Like the ones here ..i m looking for something like these .. like mirror on the free wall.. and art on buffet wall , 2 lamps

is it wrong from design perspectiVe or just a preference aspect ?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

I would never mount a mirror horizontal except like you see it below.

I usually like a mirror to help the room appear taller not shorter..

Here are examples of both art and mirrors in dining rooms.

lavender12145 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Related Discussions

mirror choice on dining room wall- HELP!

Q

Comments (4)
    That's a lot of mirror...I think art of something else would be more interesting than just mirror. Can you mix them?
    ...See More

Mirrors in dining rooms ...

Q

Comments (83)
    Thanks for the additional thoughts! Patty, you are not a weirdo! I like your idea and would love to see a photo. I think we are satisfied with our current arrangement though, and the mirror really doesn't look too low when you see it in person. (My parents stopped by today and they really liked it hung there. I know they wouldn't have been so vociferous if they didn't think it looked right.) ;-) I have played around with items on the windowsill today and think I'll stick with these things for now: The plant (still want a better pot for it though), my long-legged iron bird, couple of favorite blue and white plates in the Asiatic Pheasant pattern, and a couple of pieces of complementary art pottery. I really like the mix of "finer" items with more rustic things, and that's what I'm trying to pull off in this space.
    ...See More

Blue wall against mirrored wall in dining room?

Q

Comments (11)
    Though I'm not a fan of mirrors - I think your room is beautiful. It sounds as if your furniture is modern -ish and in my opinion emphasizing the modern elements would look best. Keep the color scheme as simple as possible. As for the mirror - is there space for items in front of it - narrow tables (slim tables that are 18" wide) or plants? There are also vinyl cut outs that may stick to the glass - I don't know - but I've googled them and there are so many....I think as long as anything you use is simple - not ornate - clean lines - organic forms - it should look ok. Or maybe if you felt you needed to - suspend a curtain from the ceiling - well suspend the curtain rod.
    ...See More

Mirrored wall In Dining Room

Q

Comments (6)
    I am in the camp of keeping the mirrored wall because in small spaces they really do increase the light in the room. Place furnishings directly in front of the mirrored wall. You can even attach art and wall decor provided the weight is not too great and the items are secured with some type of adhesive hooks, tape etc. You can have a wood design attached to the face of the mirror wall to break up the reflection and add interest. Canvas art is fairly light and can easily be hung on the face of the mirror
    ...See More
  • Rebecca
    3 years ago

Beverly, where did you find the hazy mirrors?

lavender12145 thanked Rebecca
  • pennydesign
    3 years ago

Mine is horizontal..I wanted it to "fit" the buffet..and reflect the chandelier

If you do vertical, buffet lamps can fill in the room on each side..

lavender12145 thanked pennydesign
  • lavender12145
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Beverly, the second picture looks similar to what I want to do, like the mirror is horizontal.

• lavender12145
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Would it make my dining look shorter?

also if I do do the horizontal on the opposite wall, are there any rules to the dimension of the mirror?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Is there a reason you want to keep the wall color? To me it is not very cohesive with your table and not very appetizing. Agree with Beverly on mirrors. RH has smoked mirrors that would fit the bill nicely, and so does Ethan Allen.

mirrors · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Four of these could work too.

Uttermost Set of 2 Saragano Square Mirrors 13845 · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago
    Love this one from Restoration Hardware.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

With what looks like mauve fabric on your chairs? and the deep gold walls, this is a big clash. Perhaps you could consider changing the wall color to a more neutral color? Then one more thing, get a really great arrangement for your table. A small vase is too little for the scale and grandness of the table. You need "big" everything with that gorgeous table!

lavender12145 thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

The mirror in my dining room is horizontal too, and looks just fine. Sometimes that's the only way it fits the space.

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Funny, Beverly. I said it looks fine and certainly am not asking your opinion; in fact, it's odd that you would issue a 'challenge.'

• pennydesign
    3 years ago

Beverly, is there a reason that you delete your responses (and have on other occasions)? We all have bad days, but it speaks well of a person who can simply apologize rather than pretend something was never said...

Agreed, it's not well done of me to call anyone out, but I think what you said was unfair to both Ida and I, AND maliha.

• lavender12145
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sorry I didnt read that post . What was it about about? That mirrors hung originally don’t look good ?

• lavender12145
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Flo Mangan,

the color of the chairs is tannish mango .. I was thinking of getting them upholstered .. but then I m so paralyzed with my decisions in interior I find it so hard to take a new step!

I go with the route of least resistance .. lolll

• pennydesign
    3 years ago

Meh...we'll just let it go okay?

There will be lots of opinions here and what you must do is decide what works for you...I don't think there's a right or wrong way to hang a mirror and, (of course) we all have preferences :)

Have you found a mirror you like? Do you prefer the antiques ones or the regular ones?

And, do you have a chandelier in this room? I can't see one in the pictures...

• PegLee Roberts
    3 years ago
    Hi there! Mirrors in a dining room means guest have to look at themselves UGG! If yu must & are,nt painting then find yur large mirror- paint frame white to reflect table ( which is GORGUSS btw) try yard sales or thrift stores or go to Walmart & pick up a door mirror run it 2 feet above buffet in paint section look for mercury glass paint to Lightly spray to age mirror- then look for a PAINTING to go on opposite wall something w color ( old world-modern etc) to put some color in the room then centerpiece same colors
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

I would consider some other options than mirrors too. I am not a fan of mirrors in dining rooms. Put art on one wall and then style the top of the buffet nicely plus add some interesting 3D type wall hangings above the buffet. Possible orchid arrangement for the buffet and a tray with a drink mixer and a couple cocktail glasses.

Orchid in Large Metal Boat, White · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Dine and Dazzle · More Info

Painting the walls a dramatic color and hang simple but distinctive plates or flowers like on this wall. your table would really "shine" with darker wall color! Your chairs might look good too with the right wall color!

• lavender12145
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Even if I were to paint I would go with a lighter cream or off white , I wouldn’t take the risk of a bold color unless I could first see in 3d.. I did hire an interior designer but after back and forth meetings she has disappeared , while she said she was going to email me a PowerPoint of everything she had done .... also her first proposal for the main floor was more than double her initial estimate .. which of course I couldn’t go with ... after that we did purchase a sofa and this buffet on our own and the buffet was$8000 which we got for a really low price because of a friend.

Now juSt for being able to view 3d I purchased modsy so I can see what it looks like... that’s my biggest hindrance , not being able to view how it would be.

If modsy for entryway works works I will use it for dining ... will give me N idea .

i dont particularly Like antique frames for mirrors though sometimes they do look really nice but I didn’t know the mirror itself could be antiqued and that’s interesting .. again I m afraid to take on a project I know nothing about..

i did not consider that guests having to look at themselves is a v bad idea... I had just seen pics of mirrors in dining and they looked fabulous so I always knew I wanted one. I did find a huge mirror but it’s not a v expensive store and I didn’t know if there would be a significant difference in quality or look ?if I bought from horchow etc or an inexpensive store.

i did want a chandelier and went to RH for their rectangular chandeliers and they said since the table is big, the chandelier must be longer than 73 inches and the one I liked was $4000 and I don’t want to spend that much. Plus when we got the electrician for installing cans and chandeliers in the house he said , dining chandelier is a big project he will have to tear the ceiling to pull out existing cans ... well so I gave up the idea .

I m so tired of endlessly looking at pics online and sighing “wow” and being so underconfident about my decisions. Although my husband says ultimately it’s what I like and it’s not as if I m taking an exam which I will fail ! Lolllll seriously that’s how it feels to me!!

• lavender12145
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I like the orchids..... but I can’t tell if I should buy them for $300 when they r available for less price too... again I am perfectly willing to spend money where it does show .. but I don’t know if a $300 orchid will be different than a cheaper one.

• lavender12145
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I do want colorful art and I have chosen a few pieces they gave to be shipped from Canada ..

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

I disagree with the notion that mirrors in a dining room cause people to look at themselves. In my experience, that simply isn't true. It has been asserted in this forum that people have to watch themselves eat if there is a mirror across from the table. I assure you this does not happen -- or if it does, it's an odd trait of the guest and not the mirror's encouragement. A mirror in a dining room is a traditional element that has been used for many years to reflect beautiful things like candlelight, chandelier glow, a bounty of food, and the loved ones gathered around -- but it doesn't cause people to suddenly turn towards it and stare mindlessly like cows chewing cud. You want a mirror? Hang a mirror. It's fine.

• loobab
    3 years ago

maliha-

Once your art arrives, please think about changing the chair upholstery and or the wall color to go with the art you put in the room.

The wall color and the chair upholstery do not play well with each other at all.

• Rory (Zone 6)
    3 years ago

I agree with Ida about the mirror in a dining room. It's not like you would be standing in front of it while eating with other people.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Mirrors in grand dining rooms where they reflect chandeliers, not people can and do work. In narrow rooms, like this, not so much. A mirror over the buffet, likely will not reflect anything except the opposite wall. Where is the chandelier? What is position over dining table? Can you post a rough sketch of the room showing where the table, and buffet sit and where the junction box in the ceiling is for the chandelier?

• spiritflower
    3 years ago

I dislike mirrors in dining rooms. Yes, you do end up looking at yourself as your gaze lifts up from your plate and turns towards others and I find it more than distracting and a definite yuck factor to the dining experience. I would suggest you try one not installed permanently first to see what it looks like and see what friends and family think.

I agree with Idacare that mirrors were often used in formal dining rooms. I've been in some beautiful ones but the mirrors there were hung high enough so that when sitting at the table one doesn't end up looking into it.

• loobab
    3 years ago

I agree with Flo that the mirror reflecting the chandelier looks great.

In fact, I am typing on my laptop at the dining room table and glancing into the mirror over the buffet and seeing the reflection of the chandelier (which is far more attractive than I am.)

I guess that means the mirror needs to be of a certain size.

During dinners, I have never noticed people looking into the mirror, they are looking at each other.

• lavender12145
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow!! I did not realize the paint color in my dining room is that despicable!

the chairs are going to stay the same for a while. I can have the wall repainted. What color do you think? I m not home but when I get there I will post the sketch , more pics of ceiling etc.. there is no junction box however. There are can lights in the ceiling. The electrician said its not a simple task to just hang the chandelier. It needs ripping out the ceiling etc.. as much as I want the chandelier, I don’t want to be wasteful and spend several thousand dollars on just getting the ceiling prepared for it.

also three days ago I went to Kirkland .. there was a huge mirror 75 x 45 . another one was 79x33 In a silvery gold frame. Neither was antique . They were good. Nothing fancy .

The only problem with trying them is .. I will have to get my handyman to hang it. Which will include holes so if it doesn’t work there would be holes to patch up

• lavender12145
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Also the sequence should be : buy mirror, wall art and orchid. And then match the wall color. should I let the paint company designers give me ideas?

• oaktonmom
    3 years ago

If you can’t hang a chandelier, at least have lamps on your buffet. I agree with the others that your wall color should definitely be changed. I think the mirror should go over the buffet.

• loobab
    3 years ago

No one said your wall color is despicable.

It is just that the wall color doesn't go well with the chair upholstery.

It is not a good idea to be overly-sensitive on Houzz, or read things into comments that were never said.

Everyone here wants to help.

You are free to accept their advice or not.

Don't take things personally.

I thought you said you already bought the wall art you showed above.

If you have not already purchased it, then don't.

Since cost is a concern for you, shipping and postage from Canada is probably three times more than purchasing something from the U.S. if you live in the U.S.

Do you live in the U.S.?

And by Kirkland, do you mean Costco or the Kirkland's in Tennessee?

Do you own this house or rent it?

It also doesn't cost thousands to hang a chandelier, that is absurd. You might want to get another estimate.

There is no rule about whether or not you should buy the mirror or art first. If you decide to place art over your buffet, you don't need a mirror there.

• pennydesign
    3 years ago

I asked you about paint way upthread....You said.

"I don’t like the mango color of the walls.. but also not planning on changing it"

• Bri Bosh
    3 years ago
    Just wanted to put in my two cents regarding mirror in dining areas...as someone recovering from an eating disorder, it’s very difficult and triggering for me to see myself eating and mirrors in dining areas are very hard for me. I know my experience isn’t the norm but in talking about my issues I’ve found more people have problems with these things than I would expect... just a thought to consider.

Not sure why the chandelier would require tearing out the ceiling? That makes no sense. It looks to be hanging from a box built into the ceiling that allows for easy changing of fixtures, like most hanging lights, unless there’s something weird at play here?
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago
    Get another opinion on lighting. However, you might have biggest challenge because your table isn’t moving anytime soon and you don’t want someone standing on it either. An alternative would be to get a pair of beautiful candelabras. As to wall color, do you have some extra material from the chairs? If so, take to Sherwin Williams store or your local paint provider and they should be able to match the color. Then have them find a color 2-3 shades darker for your walls. If you don’t have extra fabric you should be able to remove a seat and take that with you. I would definitely start with art. The art will drive other decisions such as wall color too. It will cost a couple hundred each to redo your chairs plus the cost of materials. From your description of the color of the chairs, I would get a sample of Benjamin Moore Kendall Charcoal. This color is beautiful with orange tones. It is a great look in a dining room and your table would pop!
  • loobab
    3 years ago

Bri- The OP said that her dining ceiling doesn't have a junction box, so the electrician would have to install one.

The other thing is, I don't know what type of chandelier she may or may not have described to the electrician. But if she described a huge, heavy one, the electrician may have figured in the price of installing a brace for a heavy chandelier which is more involved. (More involved = more $$$)

And you should also know that some electricians won't do any plaster work. If they make holes in plaster, they expect someone else to fix and paint that.

So that is more $$$ which they may have added to the estimate.

And of course, if she is renting, it doesn't make sense to install a ceiling fixture at all.

• loobab
    3 years ago

Apropos of lighting, if you don't have a dimmer switch for your lights in the dining room, please do that.

You can do that yourself if you can read English.

Just turn off the circuit breakers to the room, and of course do all this in the daytime so you can see what you are doing.

Really, it is so empowering to learn how to do these things yourself.

Don't tell yourself you can't.

Do you really think that all the men in the world that do these things in their own homes are smarter than you are?

Back to our regularly scheduled program...

It is an ages old decorating scheme to have candle lamps on the dining room buffet.

But that was before there was excellent electric lighting in the dining room.

Now we don't need it.

You can use the space on your buffet for a bouquet of flowers or flowering plant.

On either side of your window, if there is enough space and distance from your table you might think about having two matching wooden low dressers that either have drawers or bow fronts.

They would be used to store additional items used for entertaining such as silverware, linens, trays, holloware, serving pieces.

If you have a tea set or samovar you could that on top of one of them, a lovely tureen on a tray on the other.

You do need to have at least a good three feet from the edge of the furniture to the back of the chair.

It is always interesting to display three dimensional things.

If you have any especially beautiful or vintage or inherited textiles from your culture or family, they can be hung on the wall.

To do this, please take the item to a couple of good frame shops for ideas how to do this. You don't want anything to get damaged. I would suggest using plexiglass that blocks UV rays.

I have seen obi sashes, kimonos, borders from sarees, quilts, female ancestors embroidery, vintage Native American clothing and regalia, just to give some examples mounted and/or framed in interesting and protective ways.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Depending on where a recessed light is located in the ceiling, I have dealt with this problem by finding a fixture that has a large ceiling plate and it can be attached to the ceiling and the recessed light can be removed and a regular junction box installed. Wires are there. Something like this, and they can be found in most any style these days.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Trouble posting photo, trying again. Nope, I will try from my iPhone in a minute. grrr

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago
    Trying again
  • loobab
    3 years ago

I like that fixture!

Not crazy for the base of the table, though.

The second guest of honor has the least leg room!

• lavender12145
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you to all for sharing your advice. Of course I am not being overly sensitive but just more aware of the fact that the paint color combination etc is not liked well, so whereas before I was chill about keeping it the way it was despite disliking it myself, now after hearing from so many ppl , I do want to go ahead and change it.

oakton mom: yes I do plan on lamps on buffet.

We own the house, not rent.

I went to a kirkland store , it was in a strip mall next to bed bath and beyond. It wasn’t Costco.

Yes I do live in USA. The only reason I am considering buying art is because it has something written of significance which I m not finding here In USA. Maybe a few online vendors but not exactly the same. This has paint, glass and beadwork , geode, bringing in that pop of color I want...

Flo Mangan: yes!! That is part of the reason that the marble table is actually built in , and can’t and won’t move, and we do not want Workman standing on top of it to install the chandelier ... and loobab: you are right! It is costing that much because the electrician said the can lights are wider inside the ceiling so he cannot just pull them out... they can come out only after he makes a hole in the ceiling , which obviously will have to then be repaired patched up , matching paint etc .. we have only had one and we can find another one to give us maybe more options.

i Looked up Kendall charcoal .. wont it make the room v dark ? The sample pictures sherwin William provided were either trims or accent wall.... maybe I can get a program where I can see how it looks in my room.

Thank you for all the display ideas! I will think about it ..

there isn’t much room since the table is 11 feet x 4.5 wide and room is 17 some x 14 some .. the window area only holds some plants.

let me send you a few few more pictures too in a few minutes ..

• lavender12145
    Original Author
    3 years ago

And Yes! I love candelabras!

What are some good stores ( not online, so I can buy and return if they don’t look good) to shop for these smaller items ?

I have liked some items at some furniture stores ( I live in oak brook , Illinois, a Chicago suburb) like Walter e smithe, Mitchell gold but they were few and far between , not a huge collec of items.

• loobab
    3 years ago

Why don't you go to the Merchandise Mart in Chicago?

Although many of the showrooms are still not open to the public, you can still noodle around and get some ideas.

And when you are ready to buy, you can get paired up with a designer who will get you entree to all the showrooms.

With designer discount of course, but the designer does get paid.

And why don't you go to an event at the Merchandise Mart that is open to the public, like the upcoming Spring Fair April 26- 28. You might find some nice art and accessories for your home.

https://oneofakindshowchicago.com/spring/attend

And do network within your community.

You shouldn't have to order from England and Morocco to find colorful artistic religious calligraphic works of art and have to worry about shipping and quality, etc.

• lavender12145
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks! I have never been to merchandise mart before, but now looked at the link and may plan to do so .

Here is the picture of the ceiling

and also from the chair to the window .. excuse the disarray of plants .. my mil takes care of that and it needs trimming I know . And some are just temporarily placed here.. waiting for snow to be over to take back outside

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago
    Dining rooms with deep colored walls make for intimate, wonderful dining experiences. It is the one room in a home that you can be more dramatic especially with that light colored marble table. Here are some inspirational photos.
    lavender12145 thanked Flo Mangan
  • lavender12145
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Back here again!

so we got the electricians, they have already done can lighting and chandeliers/fans in kids bedrooms. Now moving to main floor next week.

They are going to put a scaffold and will protect the marble table with a piece of drywall so even if a tool falls , it wouldn’t damage the table. After the work is done, I will have the painters over.

so now to choose the chandelier .

Based on discussion above, I did decide to go with mirror on the buffet and found one. ( the houzz designer recommended)

now I ll need two chandeliers for above the table.

Many ideas or suggestions?

• lavender12145
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Also I have looked at lamps for the buffet and will go with simple tall ones but haven’t narrowed any yet.