SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis_ma

Cats Know Their Names / Cats often Play Fetch

artemis_ma
5 years ago

Cats Do Know Their Names

According to the article, cats do know their names as well as dogs do. They just don't always feel obligated to oblige, as it were.

I can tell you this is true. Back in the 90s and into the early 2000s, I had a cat named Titania. A lovely long haired gray tabby of the "alley" provenance. She was indoor-outdoor most years until ticks arrived in the area - she hated the grooming so she suddenly was forced into being a shut-in.

But she knew her name. She'd go out and wander, and when I wanted her to come home, all that I had to do was go out and CALL for her. Unless she was tormenting a mouse or a mole or a garter snake, she came home immediately. (She had a bell so she couldn't catch anything in an upwards dimension, like birds.) She definitely knew her name.

When I had both her and Jebu, both of them knew their names. If I called one or the other, the one I called would immediately respond, but the other one would follow behind (not wanting to miss out on anything, of course)!

Some Cats Do Fetch!

I don't know why this is news. We had a cat back in the 80s / early 90s who loved to fetch until the human got tired of playing. I have a video of my brother playing fetch with my cat Rascal. The video goes on for nearly 15 minutes. I think my brother AND the cat were wearing out at about the same time.

Anyone else with similar experiences? AND wondering why all this is NEWS now that it's 2019???

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living