SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beckington

Help with kitchen layout please?

beckington
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We are FINALLY getting a new kitchen - after 13 years in this house! Celebration time!!

I'm debating between all white and white uppers and blue lowers. Going to try out some paint colours. Will be Shaker doors. Hardwood floors throughout the main level. The kitchen and the family room (which the kitchen is open to) will be painted the same colour, probably a light gray or white.

With this new kitchen, I'm looking forward to freeing up some counter space - by ditching the corner cabinet that's on the counter and putting the microwave in the cupboards. But we also do need some actual storage space! Aaand on the other hand I don't want the kitchen to feel like one pile of cupboards on top of each other.

I'd so appreciate your eyes on this! Thanks for taking the time!

So here's the kitchen now (excuse the dirt and mess!):

Some things to note:

• These are very rough plans! I'm not a designer and it was my first go playing with IKEA design software. I'm just going for basic layout right now. Yes, there will be countertop over the dishwasher, lol! The fridge will have another panel on it, I suspect - to make it look more built-in.
  • We are most likely getting custom cupboards so hopefully can use that to our advantage when trying to make things fit and squeeze the most out of this kitchen!
  • I definitely want my sink centred on my window, even though that's not reflected right now in all the sample layouts.
  • I definitely want the same amount of space between the cabinet to the left of the window and the window, and the fridge and the window - even though that's not reflected right now in all the sample layouts.
  • The fridge right now is squeezed in there - there's no 'breathing' space for it and so it doesn't open all the way (enough to be perfectly usable though). I've added a 3" panel to get it away from the little wall. But that means everything moves down - we lose the little cupboard, but also the dishwasher moves down so we need a smaller sink. I'm OK with that if it's necessary.
  • In the top left corner (to left of stove) there is a chimney for the furnace. I'm hoping to have a tall shallow pantry built in front of it - I think we should have enough space for about 8" depth shelves.
  • The open space on the left is where our table lives. We don't have a dining room.
  • I'm willing to lose corner space with fake walls and such if it means the space we get is more usable. I really dislike corner cupboards!
  • We don't need or want a 30" microwave - our preference would be smaller, like the 23" size.
  • We have a walk-in pantry/closet in the next room that we use for small appliances and big pots that aren't used often, as well as extra reserves of food.

Kitchen #1

Kitchen #2

- in this the microwave would go in the upper cabinet next to the chimney.

Kitchen #3

Thanks for reading - I know this was a long post!! :)

Comments (2)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler