SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_255838407

Existing Deck Attached to Home with Aluminum Siding

HU-255838407
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

So I have a homeowner with a very large deck, 18 x 50 that runs the entire back of the house. It was built over 25 years ago and did conform to local code at the time. Homeowners are selling but the new buyers want flashing installed in between the existing ledger board and the house. As it turns out, the deck was installed to house through the aluminum siding above and below and is very firmly attached to the home in that manner. There has never been any leaking or water penetration and seems to be in very good condition. The boards all run perpendicular to the home and the ledger board so we are talking about 70-80 boards. I don't see how flashing can be installed without ripping the entire deck apart along with the existing siding underneath the ledger board right above and and below the board. There is no way to try to insert flashing above or below the deck since it is very firmly attached to the home. My inclination is to leave as is and to consider the siding as a form of flashing that has been without issue these many years. Opinion?

Comments (3)