SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
krisbry

Exerpience with sofas from Maiden Home?

Kristin S
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We’re building a house and going to need to replace at least one sofa. I learned about Maiden Home and am intrigued. Does anyone have experience with them? How is their quality? I want sofas that will last, not need replacement in 10 years. For comparison, my other sofas are CR Laine (which we’re keeping) and a 20 year old Ethan Allen sectional (likely being replaced, as the size doesn’t work.)

Comments (1K)

• Lynne B
    last year

Jocelyn, I went with the Ventura sofa and “chaise” from ZGallerie and I’m beyond happy! The minute I saw them in my home, it was like night and day! I ordered mine in the brushed canvas material. It’s very sturdy and gives me the look of velvet, which I love, but with a more relaxed vibe. I”m not familiar with their leather though. I know there are some companies who deal primarily with leather so maybe that’s an option for you? I was happy with the velvet fabric on my MH pieces, it was the frames and the innards that were a complete disaster with MH. Keep me posted on that Dune! I’m hopeful for you!

• Lynne B
    last year

Matthew, The label from my MH sofas?

• Related Discussions

Any one have experience with Maiden Home sectionals?

Q

Comments (7)
    After my recent experience with Maiden, I do not believe all of the positive reviews. There are price discrepancies for the sectional I want to order and their customer service team was rude and talked over me when I tried to explain that there are 3 different prices being quoted for the exact same item! I was told its a website “glitch” and that the actual price of the sofa I want is more than what the website shows. Website shows $5425. By text customer service told me more than once it’s actually $5500 list price and by phone/email yet another customer service rep told me its even more- $5550! I told her i don’t trust these seemingly arbitrary price discrepancies and she said the higher price IS the price, doesnt matter what the website says or the other customer service rep says- the highest price stands, take it or leave it. If they can’t even get their story straight on the pricing, how are they gojng to get my order right? if they seem to just change their oricing arbitrailty and not honor whats written on their website- why would I trust that they are going to honor ANY of the written policies or product information on their website. Seems like they put out false information and then cal it a ”glitch” and the customer is the one who suffers for it. The difference in price won’t break me, its a few hundred- but the principle of it and the poor customer service make me wary of Maiden. Seems like an Untrustworthy company!
    ...See More

Quality Furniture - Sixpenny, Maiden Home??

Q

Comments (2)
    we have the sullivan and some other pieces from maiden home and are very happy with them. 8 way hand tied springs, reviews, made in north carolina and the fabrics were what stood out for us. the quality of construction and durability is great - it really looks and feels like a luxury piece of furniture 2 years later. sixpenny we looked at and passed on - i think its nice enough but just not in the same league from a quality/luxury standpoint (made in china, the fabrics just dont have the same hand etc)
    ...See More

Designers help me! Quality sofa help online shopping from Maui

Q

Comments (1)
    I love article.com for furniture, we got a sofa really similar to these from there, and they offer a very flexible return policy that I believe applies to Hawaii: https://www.article.com/product/12828/abisko-quartz-white-sofa
    ...See More

Maiden Home Warren - how does it sit compared to...?

Q

Comments (6)
    A lot of low vs high back depends on how you plan to use the sofa. I currently have a low backed sofa but we have a high mounted TV. i am 5’7” and my husband is 5’10”. we both have to put throw pillows behind our heads (that rest against the wall behid the sofa) when we watch TV. if we didn’t have the sofa right up against the wall we wouldn’t even be able to do that. but we also have a club chair with a high back cushion which is perfect for Tv watching without a throw pillow. The chair has a seat hight of 18” and with the back cushion, the overall hight is 35” (or so, sometimes measures 36”). if you want a sofa for a living room where the main use will be socializing and conversation and not a lot of heavy ”lounging” (unless you are lying down), or will have it right up against a window, then a low back is fine (and preferable with the window).
    ...See More
  • imababybird
    last year
    last modified: last year

I just wanted to say that MH has really iffy quality control, we ordered a $7k Sullivan and they left an exposed NAIL hammered into the bottom of one of the legs and of course it scratched up our brand new tile flooring. I had to go through hoops to get a very lackluster resolution.

To top it off, they won't publish my review! I'm trying to figure out a way to report them to the shopify platform because this is too sketch.

• Matthew
    last year

Lynne, yes please—if you dont mind sharing it Will reveal who MH subcontracted to

• Lynne B
    last year

Matthew, I no longer have the sofas. I sent them to a consignment shop 3 months ago. The sofas are so bad, even at the lowest price, the sofas didn’t sell. I’m now stuck with paying to have them picked up from consignment or leaving them there as my contract with them is up. I was hoping to recoup a couple hundred, but the sofas are just so horrible, no one would pay for them. I do have 2 photos from the back cushion inserts. 1 photo is the original inserts and the other is the inserts MH offered to send as replacements, which turned out to be just as overly hard and wayyyyyy too big for the covers. You can see in the photo how the insert is squeezed by the opening of the cover. Not sure these labels will help, but let me know what you can decipher.

• Lynne B
    last year

imababybird Please let me know what you find out. Maiden Home is such a sham and I’d be happy to join you if you figure out the Shopify thing. It really would have behooved Maiden Home to resolve my issues. So far I’ve helped 3 people avoid the expensive and exhausting process of dealing with MH.

• Matthew
    last year

Sorry, Lynne, the tag will be long and skinny and say ”Do Not Remove Under Penalty of Law”

• Lynne B
    last year

Darn. I wish I’d have taken a photo of that. I’m going to reach out to the consignment shop and see if they can send me a photo. Thanks so much for asking! This has been an extremely stressful, and very expensive process.

• Sara C
    last year

Decided to go with the Leonard in Chambrey. Spoke with a nice gentleman on their design advisory team (forgetting the name!) and he mentioned its slightly more formal vs relaxed like the Dune but I just love the look of the arms and thats it stil a slipcover! Excited for it and will report back!!

He did also mention they're launching a version of this sofa that won't be a slip cover but will be available in leathers and velvets in case thats of interest to anyone.

• mmydesign
    last year

@Sara C thanks for that tidbit! a leonard in a non slip cover style could be perfect in their tuscan leather for a project im working on.

• HU-76579232
    last year

I ordered an 80 in Dune way back in January. It was delivered at the end of May in my new home. The delivery people arrived and placed it in my living room. I inspected the exterior and all seemed well. As soon as the delivery people drove away, I noted a large scratch in my new flooring. I immediately called maiden home and took photos. The scratch led to the foot of the sofa. My husband and I lifted it up and found a large nail sticking out of the foot. After much back and forth the delivery partner paid $1000 for the repair and maiden home paid the remaining $200 of the $1200 repair to my new floors. They also paid me 8 hours of my wage to be at home while the flooring was repaired. In addition to the nail sticking out of the foot , under the slip cover the piece was filthy and black as if it was used and old. MH said they would send a repair person to clean the sofa and put on new feet. The feet were delivered to my home. These were different than the feet on the piece. As mentioned the feet had no soft circular protective plastic and the new ones did...because it left their warehouse like this. I waited 3 months for the repair and on the day of the repair the company cancelled because the employee quiet without notice. So we cleaned it ourself and planned to change the legs out when a friend could come and help as I am not strong enough to lift the piece. A month later the traditional cushion backs began to turn in a U shape and when we leaned back, where it dipped, our upper backs rested on the frame. I fluffed it to no end without any results. They sent another set of cushions...same thing happened and feathers were all over the house. The final straw was a loud creak developed when we sat on the left side. Each time we sat down, got up, or repositioned creaking occurred. I sent them videos of all this. I demanded they come take away the Dune couch and refund me or I would be filing in small claims court. I had several videos, photos and correspondence to document my nightmare experience with MH. Two days later, they sent me an email stating their partner would be calling to arrange pick up of the Dune and I would be granted a full refund...no 10% deduction either. Do not buy from this company. I was fortunate to document my journey from delivery day that ruined my floors to the squeaking occurring at 5 months. We are 2 people under 150#'s only and setting on the piece a few hours a day....no way it should be squeaking like a 20 year old sofa. As soon as they drag this piece out of my home I will have a made in the USA Room and Board piece delivered with better reviews and a better satisfaction policy. DO NOT GET MH furniture!!!!!

• Lynne B
    last year

HU-What a nightmare! Sounds similar to my experience except they refused my same demands to come get their junk sofas and give me a full refund. I ended up over $6k in the hole and lost hours of my life going back and forth with them. I commented a couple of times on their Instagram page saying if anyone would like photos and videos before ordering from MH, to send me a private message. MH blocked me from their Instagram. Something is seriously shady with this company. I’m sorry for all you went through with them. It sounds trite, but when you’re in for thousands of dollars, it’s anything but.

• A M
    last year

My Room & Board sofa (a small sleeper) is great - purchased 15 years ago, sight unseen. Has held up well, but gets light use. My Maiden Home Jones is fine (also purchased sight unseen but for some fabric swatches), but gets almost no use. But trying to schedule delivery of the Maiden Home piece was so horrible that it is very unlikely that I would order from them again.

• HU-76579232
    last year

@Lynne you need to take them to small claims court. That is what I intended to do and I did send them a demand letter listing what I needed done about the issue.

• Lynne B
    last year

HU-I was going to do that but my attorney is expensive and I have no idea how to compose a demand letter. You’re right though, I definitely should proceed with a claim. The whole thing has been such a long nightmare that I kinda hit a wall. Initially only their fake accounts blocked me on Instagram, once I caught onto that part of their game. Then the MH page blocked me. My intention there was to save others from dealing with them. I’m SO glad Laurie is looking into other options and beyond impressed you were able to get a refund and move on. Good job!

• imababybird
    last year

So that's two stories now of MH leaving nails in the feet and scratching up flooring. What on earth is going on over there? I'm shocked, I figured it was a one off issue we experienced!

• HU-76579232
    last year

Imababybird it is not just us. They blamed it on the delivery service when in fact anyone who brought the couch in and set it up would have scratched the floors and they made the delivery service pay $1000.00 of the damage. The delivery service said this happens very frequently with maiden home.I also made them pay me my hourly rate for 8 hours when the repairs were fixed and a cleaning service charge to clean up and move furniture back in place when the floors were repaired. You do not need an attorney for small claims court. You can get a paralegal or have a service on the internet file the claim. It is called "the peopl'e court" and attorneys are not needed....you just need sufficient evidence to back your claim. I had a dirty, damaged sofa, with nail sticking out, flat cushion backs, and a major squeaky sound. You can also make pay for your prep time, filing fees, and other things related to taking them to court. They knew I meant business. I told them this couch brings me no joy and everytime I see it, I hate it. I said please give us some relief and take it away and refund my money!!!! or we will meet in court and I will put photos and evidence of this bad sofa all over social media. I stress to anyone, save yourself some trouble and go elsewhere--just like Lynne said. We are the ones being truthful.

My final response from MH. But I still think I got a used piece of furniture.

Thank you for your confirmation. I want to reconfirm that we are processing a full refund of your Dune sofa and slipcover and you would not need to pay for the 10% fee associated with your return. I also want to note that your Dune was not a used piece and we do not reallocate a customer's piece to another person's order, as each piece is handmade and custom for each customer. All of the concerns on your piece were due to the transit process and for that, I am very sorry about this and recognize the disappointment. That said, I look forward to processing your full return very soon.

Looking forward to our delivery teams being in touch soon to set up your appointment. Have a great day!

My best,
    Ashley

@Lynne--I love the link to the Zgallery sofa. It look nice and I am glad you are having a better experience. I ordered this and can get it delivered as soon as MH removes this couch. https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/living/sofas-and-loveseats/metro-sofas

• imababybird
    last year

Good for you for getting everything you deserve! I got a whopping $522 check cut from the delivery service when it wasn't even their fault, it's quality control issues at MH plain and simple. MH never offered squat and now they won't even approve my review. I can't believe how they're treating customers in this price bracket, you really can't pay for quality anymore.

• HU-76579232
    last year

wow! I hope that covered the cost of the repair.They should have paid you for the time of the repair and cleaning afterward. It took about 8 hours and it took me a few hours to clean all the dust up. I don't work for free! I have manufactured wood floors and to get to the damaged section required half the floor to be removed! The flooring was on back order and I had to wait about 2 or 3 months. This company lacks integrity and they blame everyone but themselves.

• HU-76579232
    last year

They refused my review and I called them out and then they put it up...but I had to amend it for the squeaking so we will see if they don't post it!

• imababybird
    last year

I'll ask them to post mine as well

However it seems they cull their reviews regularly. The Sullivan is down to 10 measly reviews (all positive except the most recent), when last I looked there were tons of reviews with several bad ones. I still have screenshots.

• HU-76579232
    last year

Imababybird I received this today after calling them out again on the reviews:

Hi ,

Thank you for your message. I do understand your disappointment with your experience and look forward to our delivery teams being in touch to schedule the return of your Dune sofa and slipcover.

To confirm, we make an honest effort to ensure all reviews are published and you will see a variety of experiences reflected on our site. That said, we agree that your experience and your piece did not arrive in perfect condition and take full responsibility for this. We look forward to processing your full refund upon pick up and check-in of your pieces back at the local terminal.

Let me know if you have any questions. Have a great day!

My best,
    Ashley

• Lynne B
    last year

HU-I think I looked at that same sofa on Room and Board when I was researching. I love it and can’t wait to hear how you like it!
    I think I might be out of luck as far as small claims because I no longer have the sofas. They sat in consignment for 3 months, while they sold sofa after sofa 3 fold. Once my contract expired with the shop, the sofas were picked up and donated.

• Lynne B
    last year

imababybird-Wow! Interesting about the reviews on the Sullivan’s. I can’t believe what a scam Maiden Home is running. Absolutely ppalling.

• HU-76579232
    last year

@ Lynne...They should have refunded you bottom line. That photo on the review you left with all the extra fabric just sitting there in a rumpled mess is awful.

• Lynne B
    last year

HU-You’re absolutely right! After hearing what others have gone through I will be taking MH to court. I’d understand better had it just be me who ended up with a hunk of junk and thousands of $ out the window, but now it’s looking like they’re intentionally ripping people off. Not a good way to run a business and that makes me mad! I will continue spreading the word until I can work on my case, but have no doubt, they will lose against me in court. Shame on them.
    Thanks for sharing your story and trying to help others not suffer the same fate.

@imababybird The bad review on the Sullivan is mine. Shocked to see it’s even on there.

• HU-76579232
    last year

@lynne If there is a way to private message you, I can give you my e-mail. We can stay in touch if you need witness or if this can turn into a class action lawsuit.

• HU-305759271
    last year

Tried posting this on a a Jones specific thread I found on houzz but see this Maiden Home one is more robust, so maybe someone here has experience with my question!

We bought a Jones in Bone Performance Textured Linen 15 months ago. Its at a second home that has lots of guests and for a brilliantly white fabric its been quite easy to clean. I find it to be quite comfortable and we are very happy with it overall - clearly a high quality piece of furniture and i do love the design.

Our reason for posting - I wanted to buy an additional modular piece and im curious if anyone has done that and if they felt good about the fabric matching- maiden home has told me if i send in a clipping which they sew in to the deck they can work with the mills to help match the dye lot. has anyone done this and any comments on the process - I want it all to look seamless and regret not just buying it all at the same time! thank you!!

• Lynne B
    last year

@HU-You mentioned the photo I posted of the rumpled fabric. Here’s a video. I sent this to MH and they said their “craftsman” said this meets their quality standards. Unbelievable. https://youtube.com/shorts/yW3eRuId288?feature=share

• Lynne B
    last year

Video of the Sullivan back cushions described by MH as “sink in” comfort. They kept telling me the cushions would soften over time. But when you put a too large insert inside and overly taught cover, it goes against the laws of physics that these “cushions” could ever soften. https://youtube.com/shorts/9boRO8DtIOo?feature=share

• HU-76579232
    last year

Lynne--those sofas look bad! No wonder consignment could not even sell them. What standard do they conform too? Not mine or yours! Mine sprung a loud creak in less than 6 months and the heaviest weight in the home is 150!

• mmydesign
    last year

@hu305759271

ive done the dye lot matching process with MH when buying cut yardage and its a good practice to ensure best fabric match possible. i will say many consumer facing companies dont offer dye lot matching becuase either they use highly processed fabrics or because 80% of people wouldnt notice or care about the very slight color variation. perosnally being a designer it would drive me nuts though if it was slightly different! hope that is helpful to you - the jones is so chic, good luck!

• HU-236025071
    last year

anyone own the perry chairs in ivory shearling? ive stalked these chairs on instagram for a while and they are so beautiful - my main fear is how shearling looks after a few years, i know its a natural material but what kind of care / brushing is required

thank you!!

-T

• HU-305759271
    last year

@mmydesign placed the order! dye lot matching was relatively easy - just sent in a clipping that was already sewn into the sofa! Also got lucky and they told me this piece is in stock so getting it next week apparently!

• Jocelyn Sweeney
    last year

Our Dune sofa arrived yesterday, all went well with delivery. So far we really like it and we find it to be very comfortable. I will update if that changes.

• Kari
    last year

Oh! Yay! Which fabric did you choose?

• J k
    last year

Can anyone recommend fabric which is durable and maintainable for a short term rental property (AirBnb)? I am contemplating MH but am worried about upkeep.

• HU-76579232
    last year

Jocelyn. I hope they have improved the quality control inspections. Mine looked ok from first glance. Under the slip cover it was dirty and the feet were broken with a nail sticking out that scratched my new flooring. I had the same pillow backs and they lost their shape in a few months....the final straw was the creak that developed loudly in less than 6 months. They picked the sofa up last week and I received a refund in full. I also had another slip cover and they took that back too as it was new and I had no use for it without the sofa. I was prepared to take them to court. Good luck with yours. I will NEVER recommend maiden home.

My final reply from them is below

Thank you for your message and hope you are doing well. I am happy to hear that our delivery partners have picked up your Dune sofa and extra slipcover from your home.

We understand and complete agree your experience holistically has fallen outside of our expectations and take full ownership that you did not receive a perfect piece - I am truly sorry about this. We are always looking to improve the customer experience and appreciate all of the feedback that you have provided thus far. I am also truly sorry that you were hurt by these staples as our first priority is the safety of our customers when using our pieces, and as we take this very seriously.

I have gone ahead to process your full refund for your Dune sofa and slipcover today back to the original form of payment. You can expect to see this reflected in one to two weeks back to your original method of payment.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all, or if we may answer any questions moving forward, and I hope you have a great day in the meantime.

My best,
    Ashley

• HU-76579232
    last year

JK--I would not recommend MH for an aiir BNB because it will start creaking aftr awhile. I weigh 130 hubby 146 and we are the only people to use our MH couch and we were not on it but maybe 1 or 2 hours per day. I hate when I am at air BNB and things squeak and creak.

• HU-305759271
    last year

@J k I'd probably do one of the slip cover options like the Dune/Leonard that way you can wash it whenever you need. I have the Jones in a bone which we love but if I probably wouldnt chose white for a rental property!

• Jocelyn Sweeney
    last year

We like our Dune sofa so far, we inspected all the feet carefully and found no nails. The slip covers all looked good too. Hoping we won't run into any problems in the future. So far we are satisfied . We are looking to buy a leather sofa but I think we will try to find one locally that we can see in person.

• eblairebrown
    last year

Wanted to share my experience with Maiden Home Leonard Slipcover Sofa. Sadly, can't say I'd recommend.

• sunnyinsd
    11 months ago

@Lynne B it does say who made it on the label you posted- Huntington House. Thanks for posting the pic.

• A Jones
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

I ordered the Ludlow almost one year ago now. I [140lb F] sit on the right side every day, I've been very careful not to sit in the center and I flip the cushions often. I wanted to love this thing but after less than 1 year, I'm looking forward to replacing/reupholstering the 2 cushions because I have to put a foam pillow under them to keep from rolling in when I sit down. The $800 sofa in the man cave, that gets used and abused, is still in excellent condition. Unfortunately, I would not buy Maiden Home again.

• HU-721570387
    8 months ago

funny enough i have a 90inch leonard and am quite happy with the slip cover and have washed it and put it back on twice already. quality of the sofa and fabric are excellent according to me and the customer care folks were super helpful with washing instructions as i was a bit nervous about the whole thing. not disputing your view but i for one would highly recommend them - best sofa i've ever owned.

• alleda
    8 months ago

@Jocelyn Sweeny Not to be ride, but for a new sofa that sorta looks crappy… IMO

• alleda
    8 months ago

HU - I saw on the “secret menu”
    Thread that you were very pleased with MH. What happened since March?

• eblairebrown
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

Follow up: Shortly after leaving my review on their website, someone at MH reached out and offered to send me new slipcovers. I chose to have them made in performance stonewashed linen vs the original performance linen I had. The slipcovers arrived in a few weeks at no charge and fit much more appropriately. So in the end, I'm happy with the service I received - just had to fight it out a little with customer service.

• Laura and Jed Southwick
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

Hi there-I love my Maiden Home Sullivan leather sofa so much I literally came here to find a way to tell somebody! I looked forever for the right sofa. Bought and returned TWO others. Finally spent the money and time and I'm so happy I did. Very comfortable. Gorgeous leather. Lovely look. I was surprised by the color of the leather compared to the swatch, but that happens, especially with leather dye lots. Happy hunting! (I've had it for a year in a high-traffic family room.)