SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rgrin2000

Remodel with 3/0 doors when hallway is 34.5” wide?

rgrin2000
5 years ago

We are in the planning stages of renovating my husband’s childhood home for our family (DH, DW in 40s, and 2 teens) to move in. The “master suite” has 2 small reach-in closets and a 12’x4.5’ tunnel bathroom with an acrylic shower at the far end. (With full-sized cabinets, I don’t know how anyone had enough space to get ready in there!) We are adding on to turn it into a full-sized bathroom with a tub (because I like to soak), and a walk-in closet. We are looking at aging in place, with plans for a zero-curb shower, comfort height toilet, grab bars, wide pathways, and 3/0 doors. We just realized, though, that the 10’ hallway to get to the master is only 34.5” wide. Are the wide pathways and 3/0 doors a useless waste of money? We could still use them with an idea of widening the hall if necessary in the future, but that seems to be an extra-intense ($$$$$) project. If we’re desperate enough for that, we’ll likely need to move at that point anyway! Using 32” doors would give us more wiggle room in the layout, but will that limit something else in the future that the 34.5” hallway won’t? Any ideas?

Comments (3)