SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lee_roach87

Honey Oak Kitchen – Need Flooring and Paint Ideas

Lee Roach
5 years ago

I am helping my 80-year old mom redo the kitchen in her mobile home in Arizona. (photos attached)

The cabinets are honey-oak from the 90’s.

She LIKES the honey-oak cabinets and doesn’t want to change them / paint them / tear them out.

The counter-top is Corian in Spruce color (photo attached below).

She likes the green/teal of the counter-top and wants to keep that too.

She has a sofa that is roughly the same green/teal color.

The appliances are white and ivory. They are staying.

The changes – Wall paint color and Flooring.

We plan to tear out the teal shag carpeting and the mottled kitchen floor tiles.

We are leaning towards luxury vinyl plank flooring throughout the kitchen / dining / living room.

We like the idea of a textured vinyl plank so it is slip resistant / water resistant

What colors / styles of vinyl plank would you suggest?

Something that goes with the honey oak - but looks nice and updated.

Should we put one vinyl plank flooring type in the kitchen (maybe a tile-like pattern)?

And put another vinyl plank flooring type throughout the rest of the house (maybe wood-like pattern)?

Should we go with lighter floors? Or darker floors?

The mobile home isn’t that large, and I thought the lighter scale would make it look bigger?

Or darker floors with light walls and white ceiling?

Paint color suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Should we paint the kitchen walls one color (to go with the cabinets) and the rest of the house another wall color? Or paint the whole place the same neutral color (that goes with the cabinets)?

We will be putting several White bookshelves / bookcases throughout the house.

Another possibility is to add a tile kitchen backsplash (but the Corian goes up the wall a few inches). Is a blacksplash OK with that - or is it supposed to start even with the counter top?

Any suggestions that you have would be great!

We are overwhelmed by all of the choices.

With the honey-oak cabinets to deal with, it narrows our options, but we are still floundering.

THANKS for your help!

Comments (8)