SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_24105321

Most natural looking satin finish on old red oak?

Allie G
4 years ago

I posted previously about how to achieve a certain color in our wood floors only to realize the photo was white oak and I have red oak throughout the house --- so change of direction!

We have begun the sanding process with a flooring professional and we really love the tone of the natural sanded wood however we prefer a satin finish to pure matte.

My question is what finish is best to achieve this look with minimal yellowing of color (like pic below)? Ideally I would like not to see any yellow tones at all. Our original plan was to stick to a sealer + 3 coats of StreetShoe NXT satin finish but through other posts I have seen a few other suggestions. Does anyone have thoughts on the following:

1. Bona NaturalSeal under the water based poly -- would using this particular sealer help maintain the pure/unfinished color of the red oak better? Bona tells me it would (but they are biased!).

2. Loba Supra 2K AT Satin -- would this product give any more of a "pure" color than the StreetShoe satin alone? I am aware of the Loba Invisible but don't care for the super-matte look.

Our contractor is not as familiar with the Loba products but I was told they are user friendly and he is willing to try. Clearly this would be more of an unknown - worth it only if there would be a big difference in finished product.

3. Sticking with StreetShoe - is there a big difference in color or quality as compared to Loba or other products?

Thank you so much for your input. I learn something everyday form this forum!

Comments (7)