SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_279643321

Ikea Kitchen Design Part 2

Loo Mo
4 years ago

Hi,

I posted a bout a week ago ([here[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/ikea-kitchen-design-help-dsvw-vd~5648520)) for some help / advice on kitchen remodel. We messed around with the plan and ended up changing the layout a bit, we actually used the Ikea planning service to help out and get some advice (in terms of design its not a great service imho, but, we did learn a few tips and functional things in terms of how ikea kitchen work which helps us design better kitchen i guess).

Here is the new design:

A few things to note:

- For the "L" shaped counter we'll use quartz (white only or white with hints of subtle light grey). We wanted the island to have the waterfall countertops and doing this with quartz would be considerably more expensive so we'll use wood countertops on the island to save a bit of money.

- We added some shelves between kitchen and living room to kind of transition the space between the 2 area, ideally the wood would match the countertop somewhat to have a theme going on, same with the open shelves near the chimney range hood.

- There is a bug with the ikea planning software and the black kungsbacka doors for the pantry next to the fridge do not load so i put some other black doors there instead just to get a sense of what it looks like otherwise it would be open shelving.

- The Fridge and dishwasher will be black stainless steel.

- The kitchen / dining area will have light grey ceramic tiles.

- We will have white backsplash tiles, I like these 2 types of layout, maybe leaning on the "horizontal block" so its less busy and it also would fit with the idea of horizontal line from shelves:

So i'd just like to see what you guys think...

- Do you think there is too much black?

- Are the white wall cabinets in the corner weird ? We originally wanted to have half black and half white kitchen ([like here[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/ikea-kitchen-design-help-dsvw-vd~5648520)), but, decided to keep the wall with the range hood more open so we're left with only the corner cabinets in white, i found having them black was too much black so left them white.

- For all the bottom area (except pantry), under counters and under island, we used 3 drawers (1 small, 1 medium and 1 large)... not sure if this is ideal, in my previous design i used mostly 2 drawers with 1 hidden drawer in the top drawer, I kinda like the ikea hidden drawers, find its pretty neat but not sure if over time it just become annoying eventually, since you have to open 2 drawers to get a fork etc... so went with 3 drawer

setup for now, i generally prefer when all the cabinets are the same, but perhaps we should have a mix of 2 drawers and 3 drawer setup...?

- on the wall with the chimney range hood, would you do the backsplash tile all the way to the ceiling? or all the way to the bottom of the hood? should the shelves be on the tiles or the tiles should stop maybe just under the first shelf?

- For the sink, we are thinking of going with a black sink (either single or double but it will be 30in) but are a bit worried it might be extra maintenance, so, maybe a black faucet and a stainless steel sink , not sure if that would be weird...

- We are missing a cabinet for broom, vacuum, things like that, we are considering adding a shallow high cabinet in top right corner near the patio door, not sure if that would look weird since its in the "dining room"... dont know where else it could go:

We are going to ikea to get an evaluation on cost of installation. Do you guys generally recommend Ikea for installation or should I use my general contractor? My general contractor will do other stuff around the house and he told me he often does ikea kitchens... It seems ikea installation service is hit and miss, some people say its terrible other say its great, seems to depend on location as each ikea store will use different contractors...

Any other thoughts... ?

Thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz