SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kirsten_eloise

Pros & cons of keeping a low basement ceiling exposed/unfinished

Kirsten E.
5 years ago
The current plan for the basement of our custom build calls for 7’ high ceilings finished with drywall. For context, we are taking an existing home in the Midwest, finishing the basement, redoing the entire first floor, and adding a second story. I’ve included the intended basement floor plan (not depicted is a recently added fireplace). The picture of the blueprint might be a little small, but this post is about the family room half of the basement, which is approx. 500 sq ft. This space will be used daily as a media and game room.

My husband is 6’4” and I would like to consider the pros and cons of alternatives to drywall that might make the space feel taller. After researching drop ceilings, drywall ceilings, and exposed ceilings on google and Houzz, I am intrigued by the idea of an exposed ceiling. I would appreciate some real time/first-hand input on the pros/cons of an exposed ceiling before discussing with our build team on Wednesday. Below is what I’ve compiled thus far:

PROS OF KEEPING IT OPEN
- higher ceiling
- I like the industrial look
- cost efficient
- easy access to what would otherwise be behind the ceiling

CONS OF KEEPING IT OPEN
- loss of sound insulation (not sure of cost, but would be interested to know if acoustic drywall or something placed beneath the floorboards upstairs could combat this)
- loss of heat insulation (not super concerned because we will have a large fireplace and will also have zoned HVAC)
- unsure on how this might affect the appraisal/mortgage process if square footage is considered reduced
- not sure how you’d keep it from getting cobwebby without constant dusting

I’ve also included a couple of pictures of the current state of the basement. While debating color combinations for the space, I’ve been toying with the idea of a dark ceiling for a cozy, cave-like feel (example pic included). I realize that might seem counterintuitive to the desire for a higher ceiling, but the desire for the higher ceiling is more practical than aesthetic (due to my husbands height).

Thank you for any insights you can provide!

Comments (40)