SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachel_christensen26

What to do above standard bookshelves with high ceilings?

I need help knowing how to decorate, or what to do with the space above these bookshelves!

The bookshelves are IKEA Hemnes, 77.5" tall, with a gap of 30.75" between the ceiling (9') and the top of the bookshelves. The dream was to have built-in floor to ceiling shelves with a Beauty and the Beast style rolling ladder, but it is just too far outside our budget plans at the moment, we don't plan to stay in this home forever so I worried about resale if someone else would use the room for something else, and we already had these shelves from our last home with much shorter ceilings.

I also considered some sort of IKEA hack to add height to these, but don't honestly have a lot of the skill or tools to be confident in doing it myself, and because of how we fit the corners it would be tricky at best.

So I'm looking for decorating (or other) ideas for what to do with the space. I had considered art, some square some rectangular?? I think lighting might be too expensive too add as well? I don't want little trinkets, I had tried some we had and it just felt too cluttered with lots of varied travel and photo trinkets. Maybe I just need to curate the selection of trinkets better?

I also wondered what to do with the space between the bookshelves and the chair, on the blank wall in front of our game closet? I was leaning towards a mirror, but the one I had that could have worked was just too small for the space...I wasn't sure what the best size would be. The walking space between the bookshelves and the chair is 2', so I don't want to cut anymore into that with plants, lamps or furniture. The empty wall space is 47.5".

Comments (28)

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company