SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_53217970

Is it smart to use radiant heating on 1-floor and heat pump on 2nd?

User
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello,

I'm building a two-story home in Maine (total 2800 sqft). I've selected thick insulation codes and latest technology windows from Mathews Brothers to insulate home better. I have good south-west window exposure and the house will capture a lot of sunshine during the day. Coming to heating, I'm planning for a hydronic radiant heating floor on the first floor and heat pumps on the second floor. I have two specific questions:

1) Since it's a new home with nice insulation and good sun, does my plan to only use tubing in the first floor (1500 sqft) keeps second floor (1200 sqft) also warm?

2) If its not warm enough, can I use heatpumps to supplement the zones in the second floor?

I'm intended to use heatpumps anyway as a backup heating plan as well as source of A/C for those rare summer days in Maine. I'm aware of the fact that heatpumps wont function well during extremely cold days.

House has pretty good open space between first and second floor. So, a regular fan could be used to radiate the heat in the whole house.

Please let me know your opinion about any cons and flaws about this plan as I'm a regular joe and doesn't know much about heating systems and construction.

Thanks guys

Comments (14)