SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_46286433

Need help with a 90's all oak kitchen remodel

User
5 years ago

Hello Houzz community!

Apologies that this is my first ever post so I'm not sure what the unwritten rules are in this community. I will try to be as descriptive as possible; please let me know how I can better facilitate discussion. I plan to be on here A LOT in the coming weeks and months!

Summary of my situation: I am selling my house and moving into my father's home; we are building a large inlaw suite off the one side of the house (on the other side of the garage) for dad and we are moving into the main house. But the main house was built in `1995 (by my father) and it's super 90s. It's very open concept which is great, but EVERYTHING is oak. And I have a much more modern sensibility. My current house is a 1940s stone ranch and it is midcentury fabulous.

I'm trying to find ways to modernize most of dad's/my soon-to be house without painting all of the wood. Because painting wood hurts me.

I'm starting with the kitchen. Here it is:

https://www.houzz.com/projects/5654749

What would you do?

My thoughts are: new appliances, new counters (marble) new backsplash (white subway tile) new lighting. Remove all uppers and do open shelves. Possibly make window bigger; possibly replace island.

Either replace all lowers or live with them. I hate the angled ends on the island and the end of the lowers.

The floor will be sanded and re-stained because I'm extending it into the attached living area which has carpet. That will be yet another question.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Inspiration? Anything? Thanks!

Comments (34)

• chispa
    5 years ago

I would take some painkillers and paint the wood!

User thanked chispa
  • Related Discussions

remodeling 90’s kitchen

Q

Comments (4)
    Stained cabinets have never been "out" and are actually increasing in popularity again. You might get some ideas from this thread: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/does-anyone-do-natural-wood-cabinets-any-more-dsvw-vd~4492078 I have older oak cabinets which I recently refreshed. Had I gotten new cabinets, they probably still would have been oak - just in a different door style. I might have done something a little like a craftsman style - I have 6 panel oak interior doors (though white trim) and I would want my cabinets to work with my interior doors. The newest thing in cabinets is white oak - not sure how that would go with your present doors, etc - but this is what it looks like: This is Cherry: Cherry again:
    ...See More

What color backsplash to help my 90s oak cabinets look better?

Q

Comments (24)
    The counters look like they may be Corian, or a similar product. Although they do not do much for the wood of the cabinetry, perhaps, since they would be a significant cost to replace, use them as the basis for your design. I’ll suggest something rather daring, which is to add a deep periwinkle blue to the color scheme. Make sure to bring several paint samples home and hold them next to the countertop in different parts of the kitchen to see how it looks both in daylight and nighttime electric lighting. Paint any part of the wall you don’t tile including above the cabinetry. Honestly, if it was my personal kitchen, I’d paint the cabinets that color. You could paint them all, or a slightly lighter shade of the same color or white, just on the uppers is another option. Oak has a texture to the grain that “telegraphs” through the paint, and so you might want to experiment to see if you liked that, or the other option is to add the periwinkle blue to everything else, walls and backsplash. If you put up a tile backsplash, you MUST ABSOLUTELY remove the small existing backsplash first. Not to do so would be a mistake. If lie the idea o the color periwinkle, but are not sure about tiling or painting the cabinets, leave the corian backsplash, and paint the walls that color as a first step. I am certain you could find a pretty ceramic tile, perhaps a subway tile but with a deep bevel, to lend some interest, but look at other shapes and even combinations of tile. If you keep the cabinets the natural wood tone, do a periwinkle backsplash, but a white backsplash with periwinkle painted cabinets would be pretty, Here’s a white one from Lowes:
    ...See More

Remodeling a 90s kitchen - ISO help tearing plan apart/improving it

Q

Comments (46)
    The mudroom is unfortunately small and the only drop zone is the the sink, so not somewhere you would actually want kids setting down anything. (Not that it stops them) Yes, it's difficult because I'm realistic that the clutter will be set down somewhere. We always have school papers and laptops and whatnot, so at least keeping it contained could be useful. But my husband disliked that version, anyway. He did have me talk through the idea someone here had to move the doorway, but with the plumbing and tight layout, it just isn't really doable (not without losing the sink, but he uses that a lot for garage activity cleanup and I don't want any of that in a sink where food items would be).
    ...See More

90s black bathroom remodel help!

Q

Comments (22)
    Im sad you decided to reno the entire thing knowing the expense and that these are in good shape. I just did a number of ideas for a client for matte gloss and matte black and black /gold wallpaper, metallic /black tiles and the whole idea was super elegant and money saving. If you did matte and gloss it could be a terrific mix - think like the new car wraps that are black matte with gloss accents. and this wallpaper. ooh would be striking! https://www.etsy.com/listing/1378853348/chinoiserie-wallpaper-peel-and-stick?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=bird+wallpaper&ref=sr_gallery-1-4&pro=1&frs=1&sts=1&organic_search_click=1&variation0=3153597474
    ...See More
  • M Miller
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I am copying your photo of your kitchen here so people won’t have to go to another page to see it.

The floor is lovely. Careful about re-staining it too dark. Dark wood floors are the biggest PITA to keep looking clean. I would redo everything else. You will not be happy with new uppers and old lowers. Take the new cabinets to the ceiling. Have the lower cabinets be all or mostly drawers. Get cabinets that are frameless because they will provide more interior space than the framed cabinets you have now. Get a single-bowl sink with a pretty faucet for in front of the window.

You mentioned replacing and enlarging that window. That is expensive so decide if that is where you want to spend your money.

Ixnay on the marble for that kitchen. Alaska White granite would look great, with its white background, and is easy care too, but there are many other choices. Get rid of that not-too-functional island, and perhaps turn it 90 degrees and make it a peninsula (hard to know if that will work without seeing drawings or the rest of the space, I am just throwing it out there).

User thanked M Miller
  • wannaknow2
    5 years ago

Welcome to the forum where you have so many talented who will help.

I agree with Anglophilia about the marble. Take the time and read everything you can about marble countertops and their care, and be sure that is what you really want and are willing to take care of, including having guests (including your dad) help in the kitchen. There are plenty of quartz products that have that marble-look, Corian has some really nice ones also, and there's granite too, as well as other materials. New countertops would give you the rounded corners.

Also, price things out and be sure you can stay within that $10-25K budget you set. Keep in mind that a French door refrigerator can easily be upwards of $2000 and a stove can be over $1000. That's before you talk about replacing the cabinets or countertops or work on the floor. Enlarging a window will probably be a lot more expensive than replacing it. Also, are the appliances in good working order? You may want a stainless steel look, for instance, but be aware that some old appliances outlast the expected life-spans of newer ones. Nonetheless, changing appliances (including the dishwasher and microwave) would change the look of the kitchen.

There are many here with "modern sensibilities" who like oak. I think you will change the look of the kitchen significantly by updating the counters, and that may be sufficient if you think you can live with the color of the cabinets. Check out some before and after photos here. If you choose a counter you like, someone here gifted in Photoshop may be willing to help and substitute them on your photos so you can have a really good idea of how it would look (unless you are so gifted yourself!). The cabinets are not really that old; if they are made well, it would allow you to put the money you would have spent on new cabinets towards something else important to you.Here is an idea with oak cabinets, a black counter but white appliances and painted walls:

Another with light counter tops:

Check out this thread from 2012 from someone else looking for ideas: [My kitchen has white appliances and light oak cabinets. How can I make it look updated?[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/my-kitchen-has-white-appliances-and-light-oak-cabinets-how-can-i-make-it-look-updated-dsvw-vd~220216) She kept her white appliances and updated other things. There are 54 helpful comments including photos of what she ultimately did.

I think if you could take down the border on the walls, the look would be less dated. I am not sure if changing the hardware to something that appeals to you would make it more palatable for you to keep the cabinets. Painting the walls would also give the kitchen a different feel.

Finally, I also agree with Anglophilia about upper shelves. It looks like you have 8 cabinets on top if I counted correctly. Can you really give up that amount of room (you'd need three l-o-n-g shelves going up each wall to generate the same space)? Do you want to give up hidden storage space on the top shelf of the cabinets for shelves that will have everything open to view? It sounds like you are planning to stay for a long time, so give careful thought to the long term as open shelves may no longer be so desirable in a few years.

There are so many ideas. I did a search for "updated oak kitchen" and found all of the above. Try a search for "oak kitchens" and "Houzz" and you will find the discussion threads. Take the time to look around and see what catches your eye and determine what you don't like. Finally, we don't know what the outside of the house or rest of the house look like, but maybe you can replicate some of the style you have in your current home, as you are so happy with it?

User thanked wannaknow2
  • wannaknow2
    5 years ago

Here are both your photos together. Your link still has the larger size versions.

M. Miller posted at the same time as I did, so I did not see her answer until afterwards, including the caveat about the dark floor. Drawers would be wonderful, and although I am no expert, I am not sure they could be done with the other things that are important to you on your budget. That is why we are encouraging you to look around and choose your priorities. The first words of my Economics 101 professor was to point out the definition of economics: unlimited desires and limited resources. Big sigh. He was right.

Take comfort, we all need to go through this process of compromise.

Kitchen Remodel: Dealing with ALL THE OAK · More Info

:

Kitchen Remodel: Dealing with ALL THE OAK · More Info

User thanked wannaknow2
  • jhmarie
    5 years ago

I refreshed my oak kitchen with new quartz counters, apron front sink, under cabinet lighting and backsplash. I do have white appliances. I admit however that I like a vintage feel rather than sleek modern so my taste may not be yours:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~110720042

https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~109854029

If your replace the appliances with stainless, consider replacing the over the range microwave with a true vent hood. I have white appliances and went with a newer wood hood, but with a more vintage feel - along with retrofitting in the plate rail. Definitely get the under cabinet lighting - it is the most functional change I made - it also makes a kitchen look prettier.

This is my wood kitchens idea book which has both new and older refreshed wood kitchens - many have a more modern feel then mine:)

https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/75202366/list/wood-kitchens

The floor color looks very pretty as is, and most of the newer design pics I am seeing are showing light, natural color floors. My wood floor upstairs is slightly darker than the natural I have on the main floor. The darker floor definitely shows more dust and scratches. In general, many new design pics are showing less gray - grays are lighter and the overall look is warmer. There is more stained cabinetry too - though obviously not a return to the 90's - but a return of oak, usually white oak in an newer style - there are some in my idea book.

My apron front sink is a "short apron" Whitehaven which can be installed on a standard sink base cabinet if that look appeals to you.

User thanked jhmarie
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

First--oh ny goodness, I did not expect such amazing advice and help on my first little newbie post! Thank you ALL SO MUCH!

Seriously this is amazing.

I'm going to respond to each of you as that helps me process:

Anglophilia
    See, I was thinking total re-do except the floor. But then I wonder if I’m going overboard! I agree that I won’t like piecemeal; I was just telling my husband: why keep the lowers? At that point, gut it all. Right?

Or maybe not. I’m open to other suggestions. But this was my first thought.

As for open uppers: I’m kind of in love with the idea currently, but totally see how maybe it’s not super practical even for me. Full disclosure: we do not have cats nor will we ever (husband is allergic) and we do not have children nor will we ever (not physically possible.) We have two small non-shedding dogs. But we DO have skin and skin creates dust and dust collects on things and I am a neat freak. So yes, I am torn.

I can’t do Corian. There are few things I hate more than engineered stone. The kind with the really small-but-sparkly look. I mean, I’ve not looked at engineered stone in like 12 years so likely I’m thinking of something very outdated.

chispa
    Hahahahahahaha! I won’t take painkillers but I WILL consider it. I’d only paint it if I were only painting the lowers (and doing the open uppers). I’m currently lost in a Pinterest search for blue cabinets. I had never considered that but I’m loving the look. I’ll insert a photo here if I can figure out how.

Inspiration currently:

Oh hey, I did it!

M Miller
    Thank you for the photo insert; I wasn’t sure what the protocol was. I’ve seen other posts with just links so I created a project just to share photos. Knowing that I can share photos in threads is super helpful!

I promise I won’t stain the floor dark. My entire goal for this house is light, light, light! My dad built the house and put windows EVERYWHERE. There’s so much natural light I want to emphasize it with light everything else. Also the property is amazing so the view is what I would consider to be art. No need to hang paintings.

Which is why I want to make the kitchen window bigger. It’s the only small window in the house. I need to talk to our contractor about how much it would cost to make it larger. I’ve done some googling but google had a lot of conflicting numbers. If it’s over 3K I’m going with no.

Looking up Alaska White Granite. Thanks! And no need for a peninsula; there’s an eat-in area where I’m standing to take the photo; perhaps I should share other photos of the space.

A more zoomed-out photo:

And yeah, you’re right. The island isn’t super functional. That’s something I was missing in my thought process—the island is just kind of there, floating. It needs to serve a purpose. You can’t sit at it, I’ll never prep on it. Hmm. That’s EXCELLENT food for thought. Thank you!

wannaknow2
    Regarding marble: we have a marble counter in our main/only bathroom. Is it a worse idea in a kitchen? Because the bathroom counter has held up astonishingly well. And granite is better than marble? I will look into marble-look granite; the recommendation above was for Alaska White. Looking into that. Thanks!

Oh and the $10k - $25K budget was what I had to select because the next-highest option given by Houzz was too much towards the high end. I’m fine with $30K on the kitchen. That’s for sure my high end though. I get that it needs to be a higher budget because the appliances are not an eyesore—they are nearly non-functional. The dishwasher is on its last legs; it’s 27 years old, as is the fridge and stove.

But yeah. We probably can’t afford the bigger window. Ok. Scratching that.

Oh and the border is coming down! That’ll the first to go!

Thanks so much for the photo inspiration!

And yes, I can for sure give up the upper storage even with just the current lowers and the island and the pantry and the double closet (not pictured) and the space next to the fridge which would house a stand-alone cabinet. Though (see above) I get that open uppers may be a terrible idea. Also probably bad for re-sell? Thoughts?

I can post an outside photo of the house; it’s a 2-story colonial. I hate it. It’s so not my style. And I feel the interiors of houses should match their style (I almost wrote ’soul’, that’s how ridiculous I am.) I didn’t become a fan of midcentury modern because of who I am. I became a fan because I live in a 1940s ranch and that’s what it wanted to be.

Yeah. I am ridiculous.

What does a 1995 colonial want to be? I have NO idea.

Honestly, I think that’s my main question with this whole reno.

House exterior:

Note that I also have plans to re-do the exterior but you know...economics. ;-) At the very least, we are painting the shutters and getting a new non-green front door. Oh and the roof is being replaced as part of the addition. I plan to go dark grey; sadly a metal roof is not in the budget.

jhmarie

Over range microwave is OUT for sure. I LOVE your vent hood! That’s gorgeous! I was thinking stainless, but now I’m wondering if I’m overly-modernizing. I don’t want my house to end up looking like the house from the movie Beetlejuice.

Also: I totally looked at your actual kitchen when snooping around on Houzz! I think I actually pinned a photo of it. Also I’m pretty sure I have those exact cabinet knobs on a piece I just re-did in my office. I love them so much they gave total new life to an older piece I didn’t love. I also looked at some of those same inspiration photos!

And I for sure want an apron-front sink. One of my reasons for wanting to replace the lowers (which I will still likely do if I can) is that I didn’t think I could have one with the existing cabinets. Good to know I can. Thanks!

So in summary:

-consider a total gut job.

-re-consider open uppers.

-look into alternatives to marble.

-no on the bigger window.

-figure out more functional island configuration.

-if keeping lowers, paint may not be the worst thing.

-light floors

-can do an apron front sink without ripping out lowers.

-budgets stink.

Thanks, all! I will be back with more shortly!

• J Williams
    5 years ago

The floor looks OK, it’s pretty timeless. The island I agree is weird, replacing it completely might go a long way to freshening up the look. Two other things would bother me: the over the range microwave and the leaded glass cabinet door. Also: ditch the fake greenery, a very dated look, plus the wallpaper border.

User thanked J Williams
  • Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

For a lower-cost update I would suggest the following: get rid of the silk plants, remove the wallpaper border, paint the kitchen a bright white, replace the countertops. I would put your money into really great stainless appliances.

User thanked Amanda Smith
  • PRO
    Creative Design Cabinetry
    5 years ago

Agree with Anglophilia. Total overhaul. Open shelves would never work for me, just look inside my cabinets.

Nice place for dust and grease to lurk. Just climb up and take a look at the tops of your wall cabinets.

User thanked Creative Design Cabinetry
  • MountainView
    5 years ago

Even for a small kitchen, it sounds like a total renovation is out of your budget. I think you need to get a very skilled kitchen designer to help you plan out the changes that will have the most impact for you, while keeping your budget intact. And the friendly people at Lowes/Home Depot/<insert name of cabinet store> are NOT the kitchen designers you want to work with. You need someone that will really look out for your best interests, your design sensibility, and how your family lives/cooks.

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

You've a bit of research ahead of you. There are loads of possibilities out there! If you're a neat freak, you might not appreciate stainless. I'm not and I wouldn't get it again. White is a lot easier to keep clean.

You've grown up with this kitchen so you have a sense of what works and what doesn't. My suggestion to you is to keep function over form in mind and perhaps save your cabinet and window money for other changes in the house. (Yes, drawers are more functional than lower cabinets but are they worth the price to you?) Seems as if there's always something to do in a house.

This kitchen will look different without the island, the wallpaper border, new cabinet hardware, lighting, backsplash and countertop (though I like the white) but if you're intent on gutting, consider Ikea cabinets. Solid, fantastic hardware and affordable. Not to mention the 25-yr warranty.

In the meantime, here's a slideshow of modern wood bathrooms and kitchens. Oak looks modern with white, charcoal and black.

Good luck and keep us posted!

User thanked tartanmeup
  • Jennifer Hogan
    5 years ago

I had these great plans to gut my kitchen when I bought my home. Then I got cancer and then I had a heart attack, so my reno budget got hammered and my ability to do all the work myself got hammered and I had to rethink everything.

I don't love my cabinets, but I can live with them. I don't love the functionality of my kitchen and can't live with it the way it is, so I am using the current cabinetry and moving it.

I think you could get rid of the island, but use the cabinets to create a peninsula at the end of the kitchen or use the cabinets in the useless space next to the fridge.

I always need a baking space and would opt for a 3'wide peninsula. This would also rid you of the angled corner cabinets.

Getting rid of the island will most likely impact your flooring. It is nice hardwood flooring and can most likely be matched, but you also stated something about carpet in the living room that you want to address at some later time. You may want to consider replacing the flooring to one flooring throughout the first floor. The colonial exterior calls for wood, but the MCM style that you love calls for stone or tile. You could really change the feel of the first floor and kitchen with a different floor.

I always suggest that people go through their home and decide what must stay (Can't afford to change or love and won't change), then decide on what must go (anything that is useless, or we hate). Then decide based on budget and aestetics if the the rest stays or goes.

Do you whole home plan before tackling any actual changes. Otherwise we either end up with hodge podge rooms that don't relate to one another or we end up running out of money. Budget your time and money at double what you expect for each project and you won't get in trouble.

Good luck on your reno!

User thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • M Miller
    5 years ago

“Looking up Alaska White Granite. Thanks!”

That was just one suggestion, because of the amount of white it has, while being pretty care-free, but there are so many beautiful stones out there. Also, Alaska White varies a lot. Whether you want to look at that one or other granites, always go to several stoneyards before picking your slab due to how granites can vary from slab to slab.

I want to echo Jennifer Hogan about the wood floor under your island - does it continue under your island, or will you remove the island just to find subfloor there? Just something to think about.

Here are some Alaska White photos so you can see how it varies. Also you mentioned an apron front sink - they aren’t only in white fireclay. Kohler makes enameled cast iron Whitehaven sinks in several colors. Or, see photo below for a stainless steel one. A SS apron front sink will be an easy installation, and will be less expensive.

User thanked M Miller
  • shead
    5 years ago

I think your budget is reasonable if you're only refinishing the floors and the kitchen layout (plumbing and electric) doesn't change a ton. However, I would probably take out the wall to the right of the fridge and have your fridge and wall oven/microwave combo in that spot if there's enough room.

Check out IKEA cabinets. You can order fronts from other companies. Semihandmade does IKEA cabinet fronts and has a color like the one you posted above (midnight blue). I have no experience with either IKEA cabinets nor Semihandmade but I've seen a lot of positive reviews of them. It may be worth checking if it helps you stay in your budget.

User thanked shead
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, all!

I have one funny comment and one question upon reading the rest of these suggestions (ok, I have more but it's late and I am tired so more tomorrow.)

One question: so...my $30K budget is not enough for this reno? Jesus. How much does a kitchen reno COST? I've re-done two kitchens for under $15K each, including flooring. I admit that the larger window is unreasonable but--new counters, appliances, backsplash and maybe an island (say a grand for the island) is going to be more than $30K? I ask sincerely. What should I budget for this? My husband assumed we could do it for $20K and I upped it because I want to have a buffer.

One funny comment: so yeah. My dad's plants are all actual plants. I get that they look fake. I hate them too. I especially hate them because I have to stand on the counters to water them. Because they are for sure not fake. And while I love all living creatures and especially plants, they will be re-homed when we move in.

• shead
    5 years ago

Costs will vary greatly depending on location. In my area, $30k for your kitchen size would be more than enough. It will also depend on the caliber of appliances you get as well. A 36” gas rangetop would start around $3k and double ovens would be around that as well. However, a slide-in range would be around $1k. So, $1k vs $6k just for cooking. A fridge can be anywhere from $1500 to over $15k. Lots of variables.

• jhmarie
    5 years ago

You have a pretty good layout which means you would not need to move the plumbing or electrical - that lowers cost. I might see if the fridge could be moved to the left of the dishwasher - without seeing the whole space I don't know, but it is a nice layout if you can pull stuff for prep out of the fridge and right to the sink, prep between sink and range and then the range with counter space on both sides - it makes for a good flow. Then the present fridge wall could have pantry cabinets and the microwave. If that present fridge wall area did not stick out so much, the island top cold be a bit bigger and accommodate a little seating. Just some thought off the top of my head:)

If your plan will accommodate American made stock cabinets or Ikea you can save money if you don't need custom sizes. For appliances, I have the least expensive and simplest of a reputable company. I would consider not having an appliance garage in the corner because I think it gets in the way of prep space - and definitely include under cabinet lighting.

Here is a lot of really good info for kitchen remodeling:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/new-to-kitchens-read-me-first-dsvw-vd~5500754?n=440

User thanked jhmarie
  • tartanmeup
    5 years ago

It's not just component costs, labour can be expensive. I prepared a budget for my small half bath ensuite and labour made the project unaffordable for us. We did our kitchen for much less than 30k over twelve years ago but our choices weren't optimal and there's things to redo.

User thanked tartanmeup
  • J Williams
    5 years ago

I realized after I mentioned the plants that they were too irregular looking to be fake, but in my defense, it’s unusual for plants to do well under those circumstances, and it was very common during that time period to stuff the tops of cabinets and shelves with fake plants. I’m not sure what shape (functionally) your cabinets are in now, but they aren’t the worst visually I’ve ever seen.

User thanked J Williams
  • Susan Murin
    5 years ago
    I think you can re-do kitchen for < 30k- house flippers do it for way less! Or you can spend 3x that. Depends upon choices. I just re-did 2 kitchens, one in a rental (recently finished) and one in my forever home (in process). Rental SS appliances were < 4K. Cabinets and quartz countertops were
    User thanked Susan Murin
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

thanks, all! i'd like to answer a few questions (ok, only one): sadly we cannot do a gas range, as there's no gas line up where dad lives (if this can somehow be done with a propane tank outside I need to know that because a gas range is my dream; i've only ever cooked on one in commercial kitchens and thus i get why they are preferable.) so the cost for appliances would be low. i'm not planning on any kind of crazy fancy fridge either.

but:

jhmarie--

i had not considered moving the fridge. i could not see where it could go; the issue with the location you recommended is that it would block off the open end of the space--the ENTIRE first floor is open concept. i really need to upload better photos. i will do that asap. but i do like your vision. it makes much better sense of the area--and yes, i did want to put seating at that island. hmmmmmm. i need to go stand in the space and contemplate it. thanks!

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

oh--and the appliance garage is going away. no matter what. i hate that thing! and in fact my hatred of it is what inspired my all open uppers plan. because how does one get rid of that but keep the upper cabinets?

• shead
    5 years ago

A gas stove can definitely be done with a liquid propane tank outside. You just have to order the right kind (LP and not NG).

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

shead oh wow! I just looked it up--specifically a propane stove rather than a gas stove--and i found a gorgeous (white) one for $800. i need to look into how much the installation of the tank would cost, but that's a real possibility. and it would work when the power goes out, which is not infrequent in our location. thanks!

• jhmarie
    5 years ago

I love cooking with gas, but there is a new kind of cooktop called "induction". I have not priced it out and it might be expensive, but many here who previously loved gas now swear by induction. The initial cost might be more, but the install might be less - I think they use electricity - 240 volt. You might also need new pans as induction requires a certain type.

Just did a quick check - there are freestanding induction ranges starting at $800 - don't know the quality. Slide in are much more.

A fridge cabinet made for a counter depth fridge might make it look OK from the side - but that would be your own preference. Counter depth fridges are more expensive - sigh!

User thanked jhmarie
  • alex9179
    5 years ago

Once you have the layout decided, you're just going to have to price out materials and labor in your area before you know how and where to cut costs, if necessary. I love the look of shelves but won't be doing any in my kitchen due to the insane amount of "dust" I already deal with in the house. Five people, a cat, and open windows when the weather is nice doesn't help keep that layer at bay.

Keep an open mind about countertop material. Glacier White doesn't have any sparkles. It's kind of a soft/glow-y white. It will never be mistaken for marble but is pretty darn resilient and repairable. I used it in my remodel due to its properties, the simple, modern look, and budget. I also am DIY-ing Ikea cabinets because I wanted all drawers in the lowers and I have a huge kitchen. I really like how the Corian looks, but that's personal. I have a wide galley and pulled the cabinets out for 30" deep countertops. Something to think about if you remove your island. Since installation on Friday, we're over the moon with them...and we don't even have plumbing hooked up yet! Some pics of my kitchen in progress. The floor photographs funny. It has a lighter, driftwood look IRL.

User thanked alex9179
  • Daisy S
    5 years ago
    We live in the country and when we bought this home 19 year s ago it was all electric. That quickly changed! Propane companies usually give you the option of renting or buying the tank. Your big expense will be running the gas lines and if it is even feasible. My husband is a licensed plumbing contractor/building inspector, so he was able to do all of the work.
    1. Had to trench across driveway, county inspection, backfill, repair.
    2. We are on a slab foundation, but only a single level home...range on inside wall.
    3. Were able to run flexible gas line up through garage and into attic and down opened up inside wall to range...then repair.
    4. Hubby had the knowledge and correct tools ...access for this...
    5. It might cost you a pretty penny to have this done...
  • jhmarie
    5 years ago

alex9179 - is that an induction cooktop?

• alex9179
    5 years ago

Yes! I reused it from my old kitchen. I love it. Between the deeper counters and less heat with induction, I felt it was okay to use Corian as the backsplash. I wouldn't have with radiant or gas.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Daisy S alrighty then! Electric range it is! There's NO way that's in the budget.

I guess I was just imagining like...a tank. Outside of the house, near the kitchen (which is possible). And like...a gas line. No trench, no digging, no ripping up the driveway.

You can see how my understanding of how this works is a barrier to me!

Edited to add: but hmmm. Dad has a gas fireplace. So there must be a way to extend that gas line into the kitchen. It's a straight shot underneath and the basement isn't finished (yet). Perhaps that makes it more financially possible?

It's a natural gas fireplace, not propane (I'm pretty sure.)

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Tracy, in our area, gas plumbers charge line installations by the foot so it's fairly easy to budget. Measure your space and give them a call. If you find it financially feasible, they can come in and give you a firmer price with accessories, etc.

• shead
    5 years ago

If the house already has NG for a fireplace and an open basement, you should be able to do it VERY reasonably, imho. It would not be a hard job at all to do. They will tee it off the existing gas line and run it to your new location. It wouldn't take more than a couple of hours to do and would be WELL worth it to have a gas range. Just call a few people and get some quotes. No harm, no foul.

• Jennifer Hogan
    5 years ago

I am adding a natural gas line from my livingroom fireplace to my kitchen plus moving the plumbing lines and for my Washing machine and laundryroom sink plus having an outside faucet replaced that is on the wall where the new Washing machine plumbing lines will be placed. The estimate I got was $1200.00. I am in Central PA, so prices may be higher in other areas and I had gotten estimates that were far more expensive.

The plumber I found is good. He has owned his own plumbing business for 30 years and has brought his son into the business. His explanation for some of the high estimates was that my work is a small job and many of the younger plumbers would rather do new homes and bigger projects and don't seem to want to do the small jobs on individual homes anymore. He told me he is trying to teach his son that you can make more doing a lot of small jobs than you can doing one or two big jobs where you have to bid so low that there is little profit.

Finding the right plumber took some effort, but I got a reasonable price from someone I trust will do a good job.

I have shopped hard for a good plumber, a good electrician and a good car mechanic since moving to a new city, but I have found all 3 and trust that any work I need done will be done right and at a fair price.