SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tlbean2004

How long should a lawn mower last?

tlbean2004
5 years ago

I have had a lawn Mower for the past 5 years that works fine. It has a Briggs and Stratton engine but I purchased a new Honda one for the bells and whistles. How long shoils they last anyways?

Comments (76)

• ssewalk1
    5 years ago

$1500 - $ 2000 for a Premium Commercial 21 " mower !

• Mule Meat
    5 years ago

I have Lawnboys that range from 15 to 27 years old and all of them still starts easy and runs good.

All have F, V and Dura Force engines. Never had the first problem with Ethanol laced fuels.

The only people that have problems with Ethanol are ones that are buying equipment from manufacturers that are to cheap to use rubber parts that ethanol has no effect on. Husqvarna is one, Briggs and stration are hit and miss depending who the suppplier is at the time..

Even the auto industry was caught off guard with ethanol at first but soon recovered. You do not see thousands of cars and trucks sitting by the road or in junk yards due to fuel problems. It took some small equipment manufacturers a little longer to catch up but the ones that wish to offer good products did. Echo offers a 5 year warranty on everything they sell straight out of the box. Why doesn't Stihl or Husqvarna do that without making you jump through hoops or spending wads of cash on their "special oil and parts"??

Myself. I would spend $500 on an old Lawnboy before I would give a dime for anything sitting on the floor at Lowes or Home Depot.. More than 5 years on new push mowers?? Maybe if you are lucky or just mow a tennis court sized yard every two or three weeks.

• Related Discussions

My lawn care for the last 5 years...What should I do next?

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks joepyeweed and soccer dad, I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I didn't want to add too much information in the first post and overwhelm. Cultural Practices: Yes, I mow at the highest setting and water deeply and infrequently. I am still learning how to measure fertilizer in #/1000sqft instead of using Scott's rotary spreader and throwing it on the lawn, but I think the lawn has plenty of Nitrogen. Using the Scott's 4 step program in the past, I've started with step 1 in late April/early June when the ground temp is 50-55F and I see Forsythia bloom. Other Scott's steps have followed 6-8 weeks after the previous one. As I read more on this site I find steps 2 and 3 are not so good and my constant use of fungicide in the past has probably killed the good fungus too. After reading up on healthy soil I'm betting mine is lacking at this time. While I know it is great to mulch I have bagged since my fungal problems started and, very unfortunately, mulching simply spreads the lawn diseases. I may mulch my leaves this fall. I pull weeds by hand or use weed-B-gon to spot treat. pH: The pH has been a long issue and I'm not sure why. I've had several tests from the local Coop Ext as well as my own solution tester. The back yard has been between 5 and 5.6 for the last 5 years and the front has dropped from 6.8 to 6.2. I do test before I apply lime but I don't know why I can't keep the pH up. This is one reason that the organic method appeals to me - less pH testing and liming. Fungus: I agree with your assessment that N is too high. I should go test that with my solution tester. This is another reason to not follow Scott's program to the letter and go with organic or something hybrid for my lawn. In the past I was uneducated regarding NPK/ compost/ microbes/ bacteria/ good fungus/ and simply followed the steps not knowing if I was putting down a 30-2-4 or a 4-15-10 (just throwing out numbers). Grubs: In year 3 when I applied 24hr control I did have a problem and the grass came up like a carpet. Since then I have used the 3month control (July/Aug/Sep) every year. I don't want to go through that issue again. My area is notorious for grubs and moles and I'm reluctant to skip grub treatment for fear that they will return and I will be unaware until it is too late. Overseeding: Aside from re-seeding small and large(30'x40') patches I haven't overseeded the lawn. I've seeded over some thin areas with some luck by hand and am considering renting a slit-seeder this fall to try and fill out the thin areas. I may wait until next year for this if it takes some time to amend the soil before seeding. Organic: I've been reading lots of posts here about organics and the FAQ is great too. I am going to search my local big box stores and feed stores for corn gluten meal, soybean meal, corn meal and alfalfa meal. And maybe even Scott's organic lawn food (I have lots of gift cards to Lowe's). I understand corn meal is for disease and I'd like to apply it now. How will it affect my current year schedule: Late April: Scott's step 1 Mid June: Scott's step 2 I don't want to over N the lawn again. I don't know much about compost and will read more. 1td/1000sqft sounds like a lot. I have a bad back, is there any way to spread compost other than by hand? A drop spreader? I've read how great compost is but I haven't seen it in any annual schedule. Is that because composting is a one time shot to get microbes and bacteria back in to the soil? How often should one apply a layer of compost? I definitely realize this isn't a quick fix but I'm looking to take the lawn in the proper direction. As long as my practices are good, I'm confident the lawn will respond in time.
    ...See More

How long should a child’s dresser last?

Q

Comments (1)
    Do you feel you got your money's worth out of the dressers? Could the drawer mechanisms be replaced or fixed?
    ...See More

How long should a dishwasher's tank of rinse aid last?

Q

Comments (7)
    I reprogrammed the rinse aid dispenser setting after posting this, setting it to 4 instead of the default 3 (not 2 as I had mistakenly written in the original post). The refill light came on in 2 weeks. I suspect the dishwasher may have somehow lost its saved programming and possibly wasn't dispensing any rinse aid at all until I reprogrammed it. I'll track how long this batch lasts and try to remember to report back here. The problem with all the "it depends" posts is that they are no help at all to someone trying to troubleshoot a problem. Hopefully I can help users with a similar issue find an actual baseline to compare against.
    ...See More

HOW LONG SHOULD THE BOTTOM COVERING OF THE BAKING ELEMENT LAST?

Q

Comments (12)
    I believe this oven was made by Frigidaire/Electrolux. This problem has been reported on this forum before with Electrolux. I’ll try to find it. They had a picture. You need to have a tech out and see exactly why this did this. Electrolux did make an earlier model with a lift out bottom but I can’t find out on your specific model. The liners are usually all one piece. I had to have my liner replaced on my Electrolux because it chipped and it was $425. It was under extended warranty and the owner if the company said it could be less expensive if I had to pay out of pocket. It is a big deal because they had to pull the oven out and it takes 2 techs at a miminim. I had three plus the owner at my house. The hidden element is one of the worst ideas ever conceived. the heat which goes up hits the bottom of the oven. Day to day cooking is bad enough but the self clean is really bad. There have also been many problems with enamel, especially blue cracking. I have personally had it happen with Wolf and Electrolux. For baking, most recipes were developed with the heat from the bottom with an open element and I have a couple of pie recipes that don’t work With a covered element because you lose the radiant heat from the element. You can‘t put any kind of liner down because it will melt to the bottom of the oven. There used to be a couple of ovens with an element under glass but they have some other issues with the way they run. I do think that Bosch is one of the better ovens now If you replace. They need to come back with the open element oven. Also consider Miele or Gaggenau depending on your budget.
    ...See More
  • ssewalk1
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Yeah Mm 5 yrs is all I give box store residential style units cutting anything more than a postage stamp lawn . However I beg to differ on Efuel contamination , even the best Commercial mower carbs can be affected by sour fuel . Fuel Conditioner is pretty well a must with Efuel usage .

• Chessie
    5 years ago

"I always leave gas in it over winter and it takes 15 to 20 pulls to get it running. I don’t think I changed the oil at all last year! Lol anyways the new one is upwards of $800 bucks so I will be careful to take care of it. It’s the Honda HRX217HZA."

I just bought the HRX217HZA - which is the same mower, but without the electric start. It is actually the same model as my previous one...which I have had for about 13 years. I never have had a single issue starting it - 2 or 3 pulls every single year first time out of the shed in the spring. so I passed on the electric start. I didn't want to worry about having to charge the battery either.

However, on my old mower, I did have issues with the self-propel system. I had to get it repaired once several years back, and it was desperately in need of repair, again. Also the versa-mow selector was broken so I could not easily switch between mulching and bagging ( I would have to take a hammer and bang the thing over...not worthit!). AND the wheels locked up when pulling the mower in reverse - and that had been repaired before too. This all sort of started happening a couple of years back and I just put off having it repaired again. Last fall I decided I was done and would get a new one this spring. The best feature, one that I could not do without, is the blade stop system - that would drive me nuts if I had to stop/restart the mower every time I had to empty the bag.

Hopefully, I don't have similar issues with this new one. I am hoping this will be one that lasts me that 20 years or more. :-)

• ssewalk1
    5 years ago

Chessie , both the versa selector and wheel ratchets require monthly moly-disulfate spray usage this will prevent premature wear and galling , which eventually causes your issues . I agree that the BBC feature is very convenient when bagging , I have it on a New Commercial Toro 22298 21" Super Recyler !

• rdaystrom
    5 years ago

I have owned 28 Lawn-Boy mowers, a few Toro's, and a few Snappers.(old school) The end-of-life of a mower usually depends on how much the owner wants to fix it. Mower nuts like the ones that hang out on this forum can keep one going forever. In fact we get some of our mowers from owners that dispose of 1 year old mowers that simply need fresh gas.

• ssewalk1
    5 years ago

Yep RD lol. P.S. How did you make out with the M Series Govenor ?

• opaone
    5 years ago

I've switched to all electric for mowers (riding & push), edger, weed whip, hedge trimmer, small chainsaw, blower, etc. The only thing still gas is our large snowblower (Ariens) and I'm hoping it will last until a suitable electric is available.

No more buying/mixing gas, no more not having gas when I need it, no more oil changes, no more winterizing and cleanup/restarting in spring, no more adjustments. Electric always works and is ultra-reliable.

Avoid Echo though. They've a poor battery management system and poor customer service. Their mower lacked suction. I'd had their swappable tools + power head that I liked so went with them but consistent problems drove me away. I think Ego, Ryobi, and Greenworks all have pretty good reps as do many others.

• Chessie
    5 years ago

ssewalk1, thanks for the information. I saw no reference to a requirement for any monthly lubrication in the manual. And I definitely never used any on the old mower. Can you provide more information on this?

• Chessie
    5 years ago

"Electric always works and is ultra-reliable"

Except when the power is out. :-) And you always have to make sure the batteries are kept charged. It's never been a problem having gas on hand - that is much less of an issue, to me, than keeping a battery charged.

Same reason that I have a gas blower and trimmer...I know when I go to use it, the batteries will be dead. I've thought about an electric blower...but I'm not there yet because of the battery charger thing. It just seems more of a pain...

• ssewalk1
    5 years ago

Just a preventative maintenance issue Chessie , I have Hondas brought in regularly with rear wheel drive ratchets seized or worn due to lack of lubrication after 2-3 yrs . Also periodic complaint of stiffening or stuck Versa Shifter . The moly spray is a quick and effective resolve to you concerns and does not attract dirt and debris , since it dries on contact . Actually the disulfate penetrates the pores of the metal for a long lasting penetrant application .

• opaone
    5 years ago

"Same reason that I have a gas blower and trimmer...I know when I go to use it, the batteries will be dead. I've thought about an electric blower...but I'm not there yet because of the battery charger thing. It just seems more of a pain..."

Imaginary fears I think.

No more of a problem for yard tools than for drills, circular saws, etc. Especially if you use the batteries regularly. I have three batteries and two chargers. In four years I've only had one occasion where I had to wait on a battery to charge (and I've got ADD so much more forgetful that most). When a battery gets low you stick it on a charger and grab one that's fully charged.

Gas on the other hand... At least once or twice per year I have to delay what I'm doing to run get gas. And then there's the lingering smell of gas in the car after the gas run (not a problem for PU trucks, but is a problem for SUV's).

In the spring I usually have at least one tool that doesn't want to start or run smoothly and it's not unusual for one to need some mid season effort to get it running again. This past winter after a 14" snow I was not able to get my snowblower to keep running. I think it was bad gas as a fresh can of gas and some cleaning of the engine got it going well again, but this was not until after I had to shovel the 14". Fortunately I've not yet gotten bad electrons :-)

Oh, and electric is much smoother, quieter and more powerful. And no hand numbing engine vibration.

• opaone
    5 years ago

The one drawback to current cordless tools is that batteries are proprietary and different for each manufacturer. The ideal is to have as few types of batteries as possible and to share them among tools. I just recently finished switching shop tools over to Milwaukee so I've now got the same battery for drills, saws, etc. This makes it easier to always have full batteries available. I'd love to see some industry standards developed so that the same batteries could be used across different manufacturers.

My original cordless yard tools were Echo. They offered a nicely varied ecosystem of tools that all used the same battery. The problem is an exceptionally poor battery mgmt system so their batteries don't last very long. Officially most manufacturers say that their batteries will last over 1,000 full cycles (so 2,000 half charge cycles, 4,000 1/4 charge cycles, etc.). Reality is most will and should go well over 5,000 full cycles. I still use 12 year old Panasonic drill batteries that likely have well over 20,000 cycles. They only have about 60% of their original capacity but I'm not complaining.

This year I'll likely switch over to Ego. I know that batteries can perform exceptionally well and that the problem was Echo and not batteries.

• Chessie
    5 years ago

"No more of a problem for yard tools than for drills, circular saws, etc. Especially if you use the batteries regularly. "

But I wouldn't. That's the thing. A drill is a different thing entirely, for me. I use my cordless driver darn near every week. A blower and trimmer...not even once a month, if that.

I always grab my gas can and stick it in the trunk to fill up after I put gas in the mower and it feels "light". Been doing that for 20 years and I am used to it I guess.

" I still use 12 year old Panasonic drill batteries that likely have well over 20,000 cycles. "

I had a Panasonic cordless, and had to replace it about 5 years ago. The batteries would not hold a charge anymore and it was always dead - I was really disappointed in it. Obviously we all have different experiences with these things. I do love my much-more-compact Makitas though. Of course they have discontinued the ones that I have (I have a driver and a drill) but hopefully they will last a long time.

• Chessie
    5 years ago

ssewalk1 - thanks. I'll look the next time I am up at Lowe's or HD. I appreciate it.

• Chessie
    5 years ago

"This year I'll likely switch over to Ego. "

I have read good things about Ego chainsaws. I was looking at those last year...and while I would like the idea of an electric chainsaw (because so many people have issues starting the gas ones) the times I am most likely to need one, is after a storm and I am likely to not have power. Been there. Thankfully we have a great neighborhood where the guys grab their gas saws and walk around looking to help folks out. :-)

• opaone
    5 years ago

Everyone I know who has switched to electric power tools, electric yard tools or electric cars has said that they will never go back to gas. I've been quite surprised how ubiquitous that is.

Ideally you'd have batteries already charged up when the storm hits.

A tree trimmer buddy has switched all of their smaller saws over to electric. I believe he has something like 40 electric saws, 150 batteries and 40 or so chargers. I think each crew has about 10 saws and 35 batteries. Somewhere I've got a picture of one of his trucks with 7 chargers and cubbies above for spares.

One interesting bit about power outages is that in a pseudo reversal, we have a natural gas generator to power essential stuff during outages. My neighbor has a diesel generator, was planning to switch to natural gas, and is now planning to go with Tesla batteries. I considered batteries for backup but the cost isn't quite there yet.

• Chessie
    5 years ago

I don't have a generator, nor do most people I know here. Maybe that is a relevant factor in the gas vs electric thing. Gas is still king around here, for chainsaws and mowers, definitely. My sister got an electric trimmer this year ( from me, for Christmas!) but I have not asked her how she likes it yet. I agree it would be awesome if the companies would all get together and come up with a standard for batteries.

• ssewalk1
    5 years ago

Seems the Power mode has shifted from conventional to Green theme ! Having worked in small engine repairs for over 30 yrs I have pretty well seen it all . However more recently have been involved with my Two son,s building garages and pouring cement pads . Last summer we completed 6 garages and pads . Normally requiring 2 gens sets and assorted power tools . The last garage we purchased a set of Dewalt 20 volt Pro Grade lithium powered units . I was very surprised with the power and battery life cycle on these new units , especially the circular saw and reciprocating saws which draw a significant load . As far as elect mowers normally only sharpen a few blades or replace a wheel bearing or two . Have had Husquarna , Ego and Simplicity in the shop , eyeballed the Lowe's Kobalt in store . The 40 volt units seem fine for the smaller yards where as the larger 1 to 2 hr run times require the 56 to 80 volt batteries especially with self propelled models . P.S. As for efuel storage and usage , I now personally have used and recommended Startron gas treatment for over 5 yrs . This treatment has pretty well replaced all other additives i use . It stores gas for up to 2 yrs and has resolved all sour gas no start issues for $ 6 for 8 oz bottle which treats 25-30 gallons . I only use Sea foam now as a oil system cleaner added a week before oil change intervals on all my 4 cycle engines .. All the Best !

• rdaystrom
    5 years ago

ssewalk1

I haven't tackled the M series Lawn-Boy yet. Got my Snapper/Briggs out today and it has a crankcase full of gas. Stuck needle seat......my fault. It's my backup mower and sits for way too long. Untreated gas. Duh!

• ssewalk1
    5 years ago

Hey RD , take a bow . This peeps is the gentleman who 1 st introduced me to Startron fuel conditioner . Great product and a wise gent . Get back to us on the other thread RD when time permits , loved those old lawnboys especially the M series , a little envious here ! :) . P.S. Time for a fuel shutoff on the old snapper perhaps , been there ! lol.

• loger_gw
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I have a 1990’s MTD and Murray that are as good as Gold that were donated as not working.

1. The MTD had a “swollen O ring” (at the needle) shutting off fuel when hot.

2. The Murray’s owner I feel was dealing with Age matters. Re-assembled it Runs.

3. We purchased this home in 1972 and I built our Briggs Mower from 5 with a steel sleeve. I got 10 years before adding Electronic Ignition.

4. All is history now as I hope to ride something soon or pass on the small yard.

5. I am waiting for Ewalk's Camp's fishing report., LOL!

• ssewalk1
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi Loger ! Got back from fishing camp last night . Weather was great Friday & Saturday mid 60,s sunny . Caught our limit of lake trout and walleye . Rain Sunday so we packed up , partly cloudy today . Heading back Thursday for a few days , have some tree clearing and bushing to finish , to top up our fire pit wood storage shed !

• toxcrusadr
    4 years ago

I've never had trouble with ethanol gas. The biggest thing is getting the fuel OUT of the unit for winter. Or, at least, putting Stabil or an equivalent preservative in it. I've had four push mowers, three riding mowers, two chainsaws, Mantis tiller, maybe one or twe other engines I'm not remembering. And the reasons some of those are no longer here were nothing to do with fuel as long as I didn't let it sit in there for months.

Take care of them and they will take care of you.

• Craig Strong
    3 years ago

I just replaced a 4-year old cordless mower with a new gas mower. What I've found is Cordless will last you 2 years before the battery begins to go, at that point you need a new one or it becomes very frustrating. Also, the cost of doing so, usually $150 - $400 is about 40-50% of the original cost of the mower.

Gas mowers I've only used Toro but just purchased a Husqvarna with a Honda engine. When I did landscaping professionally we would buy used Toro's and they worked really well, we did a fair bit of maintenance on them, but overall a great mower. Not sure what happened but I'm just more comfortable with Honda Engines and USA manufactured products.

There is certainly more maintenance involved, but I've had 3 or 4 cordless ones since I've been a homeowner so that is probably $1,000 in new mowers plus maintenance, could have just bought a good Toro or Husqvarna for the same price and had a much better experience. Cordless is nice for the environment yes but new Honda engines are very good on emissions now too.

• Pinebaron
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I've had my 42" Scotts/John Deere with a Kohler 16HP engine for over twenty years and I use it a lot for mowing, hauling, thatching, aerating etc. etc. I recently rebuilt the transmission since I wore out the final drive gear and it's back to it's original glory.

Since we built a much larger home with 6 acres of land in the PNW with almost 4 acres laid to lawn, I invested in a new commercial Hustler Super Z HD 72 with a Vanguard 37hp EFI engine and all the bells and whistles; I can mow the entire property in under an hour since it's rated at 9 acres/hr. Is it something I'd recommend a home owner purchase? Heck no, it's a very expensive toy however potentially saves me hours in mowing time, time is money!

• ccecilm
    3 years ago

At today's prices, they should last forever.

• mrs1916
    3 years ago

My Sears mower w Honda engine is 12 yrs old and going strong. That said, I usually get it tuned up every other year and have paid for it at least another time over in maintenance!

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    3 years ago

Keep proper maintenance change oil, filter, etc and it will last as long as it will last and if any parts go they can be easily replaced unless the engine goes you get a new one.

That said, for the amount of money that they sell mowers today, even if one last you 3-5yrs you will get your money worth and you replace with a new one it's still a bargain, not to mention you can get a $25-50 for the broken one, people buy used mowers all the time for parts or whatever.

• toxcrusadr
    3 years ago

I bought a Sears push mower with a Tecumseh 5 hp Eager One engine in 1991. It lasted till about 2015, was running strong with nothing but oil changes, air filter, and the occasional spark plug. The wife accidentally ran into the lower flange on the fire hydrant, and bend the main motor shaft, so it was done, but I wonder how long it would actually have gone on. Granted we pretty much did edges since we have a rider, but sometimes I'd bag to get clippings for mulch or compost. Anyway we replaced it with a $220 Sears mower that does the job fine, after putting in a $1 fuel filter to solve frequent stalling from junk in the fuel tank. Mostly it's how you take care of them.

• ssewalk1
    3 years ago

8-10 yes is still the average life cycle for all box store mowers , as previously stated 2 yrs ago . Nothing has changed !

• Craig Strong
    3 years ago

For gas you can easily exceed 10 years, I think electric will last 3-4. When I was in landscaping we used to buy used Toro’s that were around 8 years old.

For commercial there are Battery Powered Riding Mowers that will last 6-7 hours but they cost over $30K. Those batteries should last 10 years before replacement.

Riding mowers can be as cheap as $2K for gas though so Battery Powered can come at a premium. Expect to pay more for Battery Powered upfront, if the battery lasts it can save you on gas and repair costs.

For me I’ve gone back to gas though

• greg_2015
    3 years ago

My electric mower is 15-16 years old and I've never done anything to it.

• opaone
    3 years ago

@Craig Strong said: "I think electric will last 3-4."

Where did you get this? Electric motors generally last longer and require less maintenance than petrol motors. Batteries can last for well over a decade. There are some junk products out there such as Echo that are poorly designed and don't do well just as there are poorly designed petrol products. A well designed battery product such as EGO should last much longer than average petrol products.

• Craig Strong
    3 years ago

If you use a plugin electric mower yes, they can last a long time, you just have to keep them out of the rain. I think we had one that lasted 20 years. Battery powered mowers will last 3-4 years. It’s because the battery will lose its charge over time and the motor even though it still works is not very powerful.

You just have to look around, who is the neighbour mowing the lawn 2x per week? It’s the neighbour with the electric or battery powered mowers. The neighbour that mows once per month has a gas mower.

Yeah electric and battery powered mowers work for more than 3 years but do they work well? If you had a Honda gas mower and an EGO and GE electric mower, all 5+ years old which one would you use?

All I can say is I have a Greenworks 40V 5ah mower, it’s 5 years old. The battery won’t charge past 75% and the last time I tried to use it didn’t go so well, took me 4 full charges to finish the lawns. Not only did the battery need to be replaced but the blade was in bad shape and the motor could not power through thick or wet grass.

The battery to replace it is about $200 and even then I would have had to continuously restart it due to clogging and stalling. Gas mowers don’t do that, yes you have to take care of them similar to a car, regular maintenance and occasionally part replacement or repair issues, but they don’t lose power over time like electric motors and components. They don’t die instantly in the cold or rain.

Keep in mind Battery Powered is getting very expensive too, for residential you can easily spend $1,000+ for Commercial and Industrial you can spend upwards of $20K for a Mean Green Riding mower that lasts 7 hours max

• opaone
    3 years ago

@Craig Strong, you are confusing technology and poor design. Li-ion batteries can last for decades, tens of thousands of charge cycles and continue to perform well.

Li-ion likes to use the middle of it's range. The more in the middle the longer the battery will last. A battery constantly charged to 70% and discharged to 30% will last much longer than one charged to 90% and used to 10% while one charged to 100% and discharged to 1% won't last long at all. Li-ion also prefer a very slow charge, particularly as it fills up. So, a good design leaves a 'never used' buffer at the top and bottom of the range and a smart charger that varies the charge rate throughout the charge cycle.

SO, a good design and battery management system is critical. Tesla, Panasonic power tools and Milwaukee power tools are examples of good BMS'.

My Tesla is 6 years old w/ 60k miles and still has about 95% of it's original battery capacity. I expect my wife's Tesla to do just as well or better. Other Tesla owners have had similar experiences including taxi services that are reporting 200k-300k miles with over 85% of capacity still available. The more that they are able to use the middle range of the battery's charge the greater capacity the batteries retain so it's not unusual to hear of people with 100k miles on a 5 year old car with 99% of their original capacity because they use only the middle (charge to 70%, use to 30% for instance).

Echo (and it sounds like perhaps Greenworks) has a poorly designed system so doesn't work as well. This is a poor design issue though, NOT a technology issue.

The question is who makes a good system? I doubt Ryobi does. EGO?

• Craig Strong
    3 years ago

It’s more than just a battery issue though, I’ve had 4 Battery Powered lawn mowers, they all averaged 3 years of life. Thinking back they have the same issue as my Dad’s electric mower had 40 years ago. They can’t handle dense grass, y’all grass, wet grass etc.

12 years ago when I bought my 1st one the battery did not have much power but it was a cheap option. Now the power is better and the battery will last longer out of the box but at 4-5x the price.

But still 3 years is the sweet spot and the power is still not equivalent to gas engines. Even the top models of EGO, Greenworks, etc will stall in poor conditions.

• Craig Strong
    3 years ago

Whoops... tall grass, not y’all grass, LOL

• opaone
    3 years ago

Those are all design issues though, not technology issues.

This is like saying that because electric cars and trucks made by GM and Ford are slow, anemic and problematic that all electric cars and trucks are slow, anemic and problematic.

"I’ve had 4 Battery Powered lawn mowers, they all averaged 3 years of life."

The mower or the battery? There is no reason why an electric mower (deck, motor, handle, etc.) shouldn't last as long or longer than a gas powered mower. A poorly designed BMS will result in shortened battery life which is unfortunate. Milwaukee, Panasonic and others have solid BMS's that allow batteries to last for decades so there's no excuse for any mower manufacturer to not achieve the same.

"Now the power is better and the battery will last longer out of the box but at 4-5x the price."

An electric walk-behind is about 50% higher price (EGO vs Toro), not 400-500% higher. The electric (assuming a good BMS) will cost less in fuel and maintenance over its lifetime. Then what are the benefits of quieter, less vibration, no exhaust fumes, no trips to get gas, etc.

"But still 3 years is the sweet spot and the power is still not equivalent to gas engines. Even the top models of EGO, Greenworks, etc will stall in poor conditions."

There s/b no difference in performance on day 1 vs year 10 so long as the blade is kept sharp. The only change s/b shorter battery life and that s/b minimal w/ a good BMS. I'll point again to Tesla's which have seen minimal battery charge reduction - and massively less than naysayers were (and some idiotically still are) predicting.

The technology is there to produce an electric mower (and snowblower) that is more powerful than a gas mower and for a reasonable price. If we're not there yet then the people designing the mowers need to do a better job (and maybe hire some folks away from Tesla, Rimac, or Porsche)

• Craig Strong
    3 years ago

We’re just getting to the point where the torque is close, dull blades can still cut grass, the tip speeds are just under 200mph.

The problem with electronic longevity is not that they don’t charge or poor design or the technology. It’s actually everything else.

Let’s say you bought an EGO today for $1000 and bought an extra battery for $500. You swap the batteries and both of them last 4 years. In year 5 you go to mow your lawn and Battery #1 only lasts 10 minutes, you swap batteries and are able to finish your front lawn. You still have the back to do and both batteries are dead. So you wait until battery #1 is charged then mow your back lawn, again it only lasts 10 minutes. Now both batteries are dead and you need to wait another 4 hours before one is charged. How long are you going to do this for?

It doesn’t sound very practical does it?

The reality is, if a product isn’t usable you are not going to use it. A gas mower could last 30 years, a battery powered mower could easily end up as landfill in 3. A bit extreme but that’s realistic. It’s also a harsh reality that an EGO Battery is more expensive than a new mower. Also, if you don’t buy an extra battery when you buy the product you may not be able to find one in 2-3 years. It’s getting better now but this is not as simple as getting a battery for your TV Remote

• toxcrusadr
    3 years ago

These battery packs are just a whole bunch of C or sub C or 5/4C cells inside of a case. They can be replaced if you're relatively handy, for a lot less than $200 or $500, and you can choose the quality level of the new cells.

• opaone
    3 years ago

Yeah, they're usually 18650 cells which are slightly larger than AA (there are 7,000 of these in my Tesla). And yep, not too difficult to make up your own replacement, just be sure to build it exactly like the original including any strange offsets they might have done in spacing.

The bigger issue though is that manufacturers need to do a better job with their Battery Mgmt Systems so that the batteries last longer. My guess is that this will come with competition, with consumers gaining more knowledge and experience, and with reviewers beginning to include longer term battery longevity information.

• toxcrusadr
    3 years ago

You'd think that once a circuit is worked out for that, it should be cheap to put it on a board. What, are they saving a dollar on a $500 mower by using a cheaper charger board? Duh.

• opaone
    3 years ago

@Craig Strong, please use accurate information rather than exaggerated.

EGO mowers cost between $379 and $749 (including battery & charger). Actually for $749 you get two 5.0ah batteries. Extra/replacement batteries are typically about $189, $239 and $329.

Batteries don't suddenly last just 10 minutes. They slowly loose charge life over time. You're scenario is not ever likely to happen.

• toxcrusadr
    3 years ago

I was going to mention, I have had a couple of Bosch Li-ion drill drivers since 2009 when we built our big shop building. They are going strong, one of them 14V and the other 18V, original batteries. They charge in 20 mins and hold a charge for weeks or even months. One was dropped from a 12 ft scaffold onto concrete and the battery popped off the drill but both were undamaged. Clicked it back in place and good to go.

So, it can be done right.

• Craig Strong
    3 years ago

OK, 1st of all let’s not assume either of us live in the same country or share the same currency here. My data is accurate.

Here’s what I am seeing when I go to homedepot.ca (CDN Currency). Cheapest model is a Ryobi 18V 13” mower ($238 CDN), most expensive mower is a Toro 60V 22” mower ($1,148 CDN). I could not find a single replacement battery for the Ryobi but a 2-pack is $148 CDN, so let’s put the value at $386 CDN which converts to $290 USD. The Toro battery is $581 CDN so that puts us at $1,729 CDN or $1308 USD.

Again, in both situations I would want to buy a replacement battery in case I can’t finish mowing my lawn before the battery dies and to get 4 years out of the mower, or more ideally.

If I go to homedepot.com the cheapest mower is a Sun Joe 28V 14” mower ($176) and the most expensive is a Makita 18V x2 21” mower ($849).

If I add the replacement battery again it’s $149 (this was not available at Home Depot but I did find it on their website (40V not 28V). But again if you wanted to get 4-5 years out of it you are investing $325 for the Sun Joe 14”. The Makita batteries are $219 putting the price up to at least $1,068, but in this case you are just maxing out the 4-bay battery system, to have an equivalent backup you should actually buy 6 which would bring you up to $1,506.

So in both cases the battery powered mowers really range from $290 and $1308 or $325 to $1506. So let’s round it off at $300 - $1,400 to get 4-5 years out of battery powered mowers.

All I’ve invested in a gas mower is $453 USD for the mower $4.50 for oil and $7 for gas. 5 years from now I doubt my costs will be much more than about $550 USD but let’s say they are $650 USD, that’s still really cheap and I didn’t have all that stalling and bogging down.

The cost of batteries are also going up as there is considerable costs to manufacture them, and 18V batteries just don’t give you enough power for most people.

• beesneeds
    3 years ago

I don't know how long a mower should last.. but my little gas powered orange husqvarna bought back in 2011 is still chugging on. It was kind of pricey for us- around $800 or so? Just undersized that though the plow blade can be used, learned from folks not to do that with it.

It's been mowing up our 3 acres or so and more recently the additional acre and trails out on the back 20 since then. She isn't as spry as she used to be, but good and dependable.

• Kenny Shields
    3 years ago

I have a troy bilt electric start rear wheel drive self propelled with a briggs and stratton engine I bought it in 2005 still running strong just do regular tune ups on your mower and it will last

• PRO
    w3somrat
    3 years ago

Minimum, it's lasting 5 to 15 years.