SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachelbradley5

Exterior paint colors for a small house

R J
5 years ago

Hi Everyone,

First, thank you so much for any advice you have!

We purchased this house a few years ago, and are starting to do some work on it. A few years ago we painted the shutters navy, and are now going to paint the house and front door. The house is in a very traditional neighborhood and my mother-in-law is currently living in it, so I can't go too far out of the box. I was thinking of sticking with white siding and going with a bright red door. I would love to get rid of the storm door, but my mother-in-law likes it. We will probably remove it when we go to sell the house. (Also -- I know the landscaping is horrendeous. My mother-in-law is terrible with lawn care, so we are going to leave it alone until she moves out. I am afraid any money we invest in it now will be wasted as she will not maintain it.)

So on to my questions...

1) Would you color match with the bright white trim so it is all the same color, or would you go with a slightly different shade of white to make the trim stand out? If you'd go with a different shade of white... any suggestions? We just replaced all of the windows and trim, and they are all a true bright white (unfortunately I don't have an updated photo, so the color may be slightly different than the photo below). Or would you go with a non-white color?

2) What color would you paint the door? If red, is there a color you'd suggest? If not red, what color?

Comments (10)