SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidhunternyc

Bertazzoni vs. Fisher & Paykel Gas Ranges. 2019

davidhunternyc
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I am hoping that this post will spur debate about which all-gas range is qualitatively better, Bertazzoni or Fisher & Paykel. Probably due to the terrible review that Consumer Reports gave Bertazzoni years ago on an older model gas range some people might be shying away from the new model. Does the new model make up for the sins of the last model? So how about this comparison, the Bertazzoni MAST366GASXT vs. the Fisher & Paykel OR36SCG4X1? Both are 36 inch all-gas ranges and both seem to be similar but looks are only skin deep.

Off the top, I can get an extra burner with the Bertazzoni. The Fisher & Paykel offers only 5 burners. The Bertazzoni has better btu numbers, going from 750 btu's to 19,000 btu's. Fisher & Paykel goes from 1,000 btu's to 18,000 btu's. Only one of Bertazzoni's burners goes down to 750 btu's but the rest of their burners have higher btu's than all of Fisher & Paykel's burners. What if you want to have a very low simmer on more than one sauce at a time on the Bertazzoni? You're restricted to just one burner. Fisher & Paykel's burners only go down to 1000 btu's but all of their burners go this low. I am not worried about the btu's at the high end but it's the low end I'm worried about. Are Fisher & Paykel's 1000 btu's low enough for a gentle simmer?

The Betazzoni doesn't have a storage drawer. The Fisher & Paykel has a storage drawer. Does this matter to you?

The Betazzoni seems to have a thin rubber door seal which can wear out faster than Fisher & Paykel's more robust woven door seal.

Also, on the Bertazzoni, I can easily see sauce spilling into those rear air vents at the back of the oven. Is there a way to clean these vents if this happens? The Fisher & Paykel doesn't have this problem.

The Bertazzoni has a 11,000 btu infrared gas broiler. Is it similar to the ceramic infrared broiler in the BlueStar Pro range? Though infrared broilers are preferred is Bertazzoni's 11,000 btu broiler better than Fisher & Paykel's conventional 13,000 btu gas broiler?

I do like Bertazzoni's integrated analog oven thermometer but I'm worried about what happens when it finally breaks. Is it easily replaceable? Also, even though the thermometer is analog how do we know if it is accurate?

I finally found a stat that is the same on both ranges. The baking/roasting power on both ranges have a maximum 17,000 btu's. The difference is that Bertazzoni's oven is always on and kept at a constant temperature. I've never cooked with a range like this before and I wonder how much of an advantage it really is over conventional oven that turn on and off to regulate the temperature.

Finally, at least of this writing, Fisher & Paykel is offering an extended 5 year warranty on all of their products, unheard of in the industry. Bertazzoni's warranty is the conventional two years so you will have to purchase an additional warranty for peace of mind.

There are other questions I have too but this is a start. The problem with appliance dealers, blogs, and reviews is that no one really seems to be a consumer advocate. Has anyone addressed the issues I brought up here? I think potential customers would like to have answers to these questions.

Comments (81)