SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristy_brownhebert

Jack and Jill bath

New construction starting soon and we have a jack and Jill bath with separate sink/vanity areas and a shared bathtub/toilet area. One side is for our daughter and the other for our son. Thoughts on chrome fixtures and hardware for daughters side and bronze for sons side. Or should both sides be alike?

Comments (59)

• greg_2015
    5 years ago

Oh ... if they are separate rooms then it doesn't really matter what you do. Don't make them different for the sake of being different, but you don't need to make them exactly the same either.

• CLC
    5 years ago

It is a good layout for a J&J. Although where will they hang their wet bath towels?

The sink areas are separate enough that they could be different, but I still would keep everything consistent (same finishes in the tub/shower, too). Personal preference :)

• Related Discussions

Need help decorating Jack & Jill bath

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi,Jack. If your boy's have different rooms with attach bath then you use contract color themes,Example 1.If you use Cow Boy theme then you use light camel color. 2.you currently use a darkish blue then use sea blue for walls & Sky blue in bath floor Here is a link that might be useful: that home
    ...See More

Jack and Jill Bath Layout Thoughts

Q

Comments (11)
    We've had J&J's that function well. The trick is to get a tub/ shower in the center with one toilet and a linen cab. Put the sinks and walk-ins on the outside. Where the two toilets are now... make the entry to the closets. Square those off to provide more hanging space and run your tub/shower to the "east" a bit so you could place a linen cab and toilet on your exterior west wall. On the backside of the tub/shower you would have room for a hall closet, which you could utilize for shoes or toys or winter clothes. We had something very similar in a former residence and the only bottleneck was the tub. Toileting was a very short wait time but one daughter liked to "soak". My kids spent a lot of time in front of their sinks which were private. We are all so spoiled in our thinking now that everyone has to have their own this-n-that. I wonder how my 2 sisters and I shared one small bathroom in the '70s. Especially when we were trying to achieve Farrah Fawcett hair with stone age tools:) IMHO, sharing a bath is a good way to learn some important social skills. May come in handy when dorm time rolls around.
    ...See More

Jack & Jill Bath Remodel - Layout Help Please

Q

Comments (7)
    I decided to use your dimensions on graph paper to see how the space looks. If I have it correct, I have a couple of ideas. The first drawing is how your space looks now. Perhaps someone else can come up with other solutions. 2nd drawing and alternative below. Keep everything where it is. Remove shower and extend vanity and install two sinks. 3rd drawing. Remove Jack and Jill feature and put entry from hallway. Add linen cab across from toilet (allow 30 inch clearance in front of toilet). Additional storage next to toilet?. Rotate tub 90 degrees.
    ...See More

Jack and Jill bath help with vanity

Q

Comments (28)
    See I think a J&J is ok in lots of situations. We have one child who has a J&J bathroom. It is nice that he has access without going in the hallway - and it gives the occasional guest access to that bathroom. We do have another guest room so the vast majority of the time, the Jill portion is unused. Obviously we don't really need that 4th bedroom but resale.... We could cut the other bath and just have 1 hall bath upstairs, but then guests are using a hall bath and sharing with my son. That wasn't considered ideal. So we are building our second J&J. It could be a hall bath with access to his room but layout dictated a J&J. Harder to have a hall bath with a window also.
    ...See More
  • Kristy Brown Hebert
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    We have 3 other toilets that will be available for use in our house. If that’s not enough, there’s a problem. I personally didn’t find it smart to add yet another toilet for me to clean, totaling 5 toilets. They are lucky to get their own sinks in my opinion. I didn’t even get that as a child.
  • Kristy Brown Hebert
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Towels will be washed after baths. We don’t normally use two nights in a row. But my question is about lighting and plumbing fixtures. This design is not in question and is how my plan is and is not to be changed.
  • Kristy Brown Hebert
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Not meaning to sound mean btw. Just explaining that we are soon to begin in a couple of weeks and paid a pretty penny for our plans to be drawn up, so changing anything is not going to happen as far as layout goes.
  • Kristy Brown Hebert
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thinking these lighting ideas for j&j bath. First pic for boys side, right pic for girls. Just have different design ideas for each vanity area in my head but not sure if I should run wild with them. Regardless, the lighting fixture globes will be different.
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

I know you think it is too late to change, but I would not wish a jack & jill bathroom on anyone.

• CLC
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Those are fun light fixtures! If you will be in this house a while, then I would go with your different design ideas for lighting/fixtures in the vanity areas....have fun with it. Those are pretty easy to change later.

I know you didn't ask for help on the design, but sometimes logistical issues jump out at other people when looking at a plan....many on here have built homes and/or have learned things "the hard way" and are coming from a place of wanting to help. Building is stressful, and it is easy to get caught up in the fun finishes and not think about the day-to-day function of the house. There are a handful of things I would have done differently with our own build, now that we have actually lived in our house for a year. And of course there are things I never thought about (but wish I had). The things I have learned from this forum have been invaluable.

The point isn't to attack you or criticize your plan or suggest you make drastic changes, it is to point out possible issues now, while the house is being built. Some things can easily be changed or modified now, which gives you an opportunity to address things before headaches and regret later. I commented on the towel issue because I have lived in a home without wall space in the bathroom (not even enough room for a hook), and it was a pain. Even if you don't use the same towel twice, it is nice to let wet towels dry out on a hook or towel bar, rather than throwing it wet into the hamper, or the kid leaving it in a wet heap on their bed or bedroom floor (still working on this with my 10 year old). Also, when your kids are doing their own laundry, they might want to reuse the same towel.

All that said, it looks like you could always hang towels on the back of a door if needed. And hopefully the shower/tub will have sliding glass doors with a towel bar?....You will still want a place for them to hang their dry/clean towel that they will be using coming out of the tub/shower, but a towel bar on the shower door works ok for that. There also might be enough wall space in the corner (next to the shower, but opposite the toilet) for a 3M command hook.

I know you didn't ask for it, but I will point out one more thing that jumped out at me, which would be an easy thing to change right now. Speaking from experience, I would consider swinging the closet of bedroom 2 the opposite way. Or flip the drawers so they are on the other side of the closet. Or don't even have a door to the closet...it doesn't appear necessary in my opinion. This is assuming the drawers will get daily use; disregard if they will be used for seasonal storage or something else. It just makes it easier to stand in front of and use the drawers without needing to swing the door closed. My kids all have drawers in their walk in closets to hold their pjs, underwear, socks (they don't have dressers), and we put the column of drawers in the most easily accessible place of the closet, and I am so glad we did. Not only is it easier for getting dressed, but also for putting laundry away.

Again, not criticizing your plan (I actually really like what I see!), and I understand we all have our own opinions. I just wanted to encourage you to think about some minor potential issues that could easily be addressed now.

Enjoy your build!

• AnnKH
    5 years ago

Is that a window that has a wall in the middle of it, between bath 2 and dress 1? And why such a tiny window in bedroom 3?

I'm with Mark regarding J&J baths. I envision both kids forgetting to unlock the door to the sibling's dressing area on a regular basis - which would get really old, really fast.

• Kristy Brown Hebert
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    CLC- thank you for all your suggestions. As well as everyone else. I really do appreciate all the input. 1/4 of an inch is a foot on my plans so I will put a hook on the little spot next to the tub for pre bath. And if I do need a hook in each vanity area, I will have space on walls that the doors swing into I think. I also thought about the drawer situation and planned to change that to a better area. Maybe on the opposite wall of the door? I know there will be things I regret bc everyone who builds has that. Hopefully it’s minor things. We will see. Thanks for the encouragement!!! :) I’m coming from a 2 bdrm,1.5 bath with a 4 and 6 year old, so this next house will be a welcomed change.
  • Kristy Brown Hebert
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Fake window for the look outside in bathtub area. Normal size window for bath3. Bigger window for bath 2 bc of outside design.
  • Kristy Brown Hebert
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Fake window meaning shutters covering an indention in the brick.
  • Kristy Brown Hebert
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Since my windows are confusing.
  • CLC
    5 years ago

That will be a big change.....I bet your kids are excited for their own rooms! You will enjoy the added space, too. And you are right, everyone has at least some minor regrets after building.....it is good to accept that now, haha.

re: the closet drawers off bedroom 2 (I'm assuming this will be your daughter's room, but correct me if I am wrong). How wide will the drawers be? The wall opposite the door would be easily accessible, but you might not have adequate room for hanging space for each full "lane" on each side of the drawers. It looks like you have 6 ft to work with along that wall? A better spot for the drawers might be on the wall to the right when you walk into the closet (currently labeled DBL).

Am I understanding correctly that the DBL is a double row of shelves/hanging space, and the single is a single row (at standard hanging height, to accommodate longer pieces of clothing)? Will the closets be done during the build, or are you doing them on your own after moving in?

• bpath
    5 years ago

How often do you wash the towels, if they are single use? Where will the kids keep the clean towels? Also, will there be storage in the tub room for toilet paper? You know how boys are about changing the roll! (Not to be sexist, but, well, yes.)

• fifamom
    5 years ago

Just curious - why not do 1 bathroom for each room instead of jack / jill type? I don't know how old kids are now but I know my 2 older boys hate sharing the shower / toilet area if they both need to get ready at the same time.. we have a 1st floor bathroom and one of them uses that since they always need to get ready at the same time and may also be good for resale in the future... we are trying to find a way to turn 1 hall bathroom into 2 smaller ones.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

Make the plumbing fixtures and light fixtures similar, with similar finish.

Less is more.

• Kristy Brown Hebert
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I don’t want a bath for each room. Which is why I have my plans the way they are. I promise, this plan drawing has been a very long process of drawing and finalizing, getting scared to build when the oilfield crashed, then redrawing with changes, and putting them on hold for another year to look for different property to build on, and now finally these are the final ones. We’ve made plenty of changes along the way, thought them over time and time again, and asked loved ones and close friends for advice already. Again, I appreciate the concern for my layout, but I am quite comfortable with my decision and am looking for advice on the fixtures of plumbing and lighting. That is all. I appreciate any suggestions that do not involve me changing the layout. There are pros and cons to everything and in my opinion, such cons to a j&j bath didn’t outweigh my decision to include it in my house. :)
  • Kristy Brown Hebert
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Also I will have a custom cabinet above the toilet for tp storage. And how often I do laundry I’m not sure is relevant to my question. ♀️
  • Kristy Brown Hebert
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Storage for towels will be next to their vanities in the linen cabinet.
  • Kristy Brown Hebert
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    CLC- yes I’m leaning towards bed 2 as my daughters. Everything you said is correct. I think the right side is a good spot also.
  • Kristy Brown Hebert
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    CLC- everything is going to be done during construction. My cabinet guy will come out and give me suggestions as to what works best in my spaces so the layout of that stuff isn’t final.
  • Patti
    5 years ago

With a name like Hebert, I'm sure you're from my corner of the world. Good luck with the new house. Stand strong! ;-)

• Kristy Brown Hebert
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Where are you from if you don’t mind me asking? The south? :)
    I wish emojis were enabled on here....
  • Patti
    5 years ago

Lafayette, LA!

• Kristy Brown Hebert
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    :))) From Ville Platte area, lived in Lafayette while in college, now in Egan, LA (btwn Crowley and Jennings!!!)
  • Patti
    5 years ago

I grew up in Jennings. :) Nice to meet you.

• K R
    5 years ago
    My kids have had a jack and Jill bathroom (shared tub/shower/toilet and separate vanities/sinks) for 15 years, they’re 16 and 18 now and it has been great. Granted the girl eventually took over with all of her hair and bath supplies so my boy likes to go into the guest room bathroom for “me time” LOL but as far as the bathroom itself it has worked out fine. In a perfect world they’d have separate toilets but that’s not how my model was set up. How old are the kiddies? To answer your initial question their sides of the bathrooms are slightly different but kinda coordinate. Like for example my daughters side has crystal knobs and a pretty light fixture, also the vanity color is a light gray whereas my sons is more industrial and is dark blue with an industrial light fixture. But I did have the same fixtures for both, used chrome, and the same white floor tile throughout but I think you could totally do different fixtures and it would look good.
  • Kristy Brown Hebert
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Well Mrs Patti, small world!!!! Nice to meet you too.
  • Kristy Brown Hebert
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Karen Rose, omg I love your comment. So glad to hear someone other than me doesn’t despise j&j baths. Mine are 6 & 4. And hopefully this is our forever home. I’m not about the moving every few years thing so they will be using it for many years to come. I just want to make it “their space”.
  • Kate E
    5 years ago
    Your plan is awesome. Your kids are very lucky!!
    Kristy Brown Hebert thanked Kate E
  • fifamom
    5 years ago

I didn't mean to offend you with my question about having 2 bathrooms instead of a shared one... i am personally the one bathroom per bedroom (with the ultimate thought of 2 toilets in master) type of person with a powder room near the living areas... enjoy your building adventure.. we are on the tail end of a 1st floor gut & reno and I am glad we are almost done..

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

Since you think it is a "forever home", have you thought about how the bathroom will function after your kids are grown and gone? Your guest rooms may not be that user friendly.

• Kristy Brown Hebert
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I don’t have many guests and if I do, it’s my house, not theirs. If they don’t like it, they can go rent a hotel room. I’m living for me, building my house for me. Not everybody else. This is what works for me and my family. I honestly couldn’t care less about what other ppl feel about it. Sorry...
  • Kristy Brown Hebert
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    We are from the south....We are used to going camping in our rv, sharing small living quarters for the weekend, calling family and friends cher (pronounced sha, meaning baby) and treating everyone like family. So I’m sure my guests won’t have a problem with my hospitality. They’d be grateful to me for just offering my home for them to stay.
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

"I don’t have many guests . . . . . . . . . Sorry..."

That speaks volumes.

• Kate E
    5 years ago
    Oh come on. Live and let live.
    Kristy Brown Hebert thanked Kate E
  • User
    5 years ago

BTW, the disco glass light shade works great in a ceiling fan in a bedroom, not as sure about the bathroom...might be fine, but the light can be a bit funky.

• Kristy Brown Hebert
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Kate E-RIGHT!!! Thanks for all of your sweet comments. Wow is all I can say. Glad I’m not a weak minded person. Sucks though that you come on a site to get advice on something, and get your character attacked by someone who is listed as a “pro” on here who has no clue who you are and what path you’re on. Lesson learned... I’ll stick to my close friends and family for advice from now on. I should have known better. But thank you to all of those who did give me valuable advice.
  • justlol
    5 years ago

Kristy, I love your plan. Ours was very similar with our son and daughter. There was never a problem with them sharing a Jack-n-Jill bathroom. It worked so well for us that when the kids left and we moved, we renovated to add a Jack-n-Jill to our house for our two guest rooms to share. Of course, our guests are usually our adult kids, spouses, and grandkids. So far, no complaints from any of them! - Okay...to answer your dilemma...I would keep all the fixtures the same. My kids bathroom had matching fixtures, but the basin areas coordinated with each child's bedroom, and we managed to coordinate the tub, toilet area with their individual basin areas. It took some thought, but it worked. Good luck!

Kristy Brown Hebert thanked justlol
  • Kristy Brown Hebert
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Awesome! I love my plan too. And obviously yours. Lol. Thanks for the advice! I think I’m stuck on those globes for my daughters vanity but may have to rethink anyway bc of the light pay off like the North Texan was saying. I dont know if she’d appreciate the funky light as a teenager trying to put makeup on and do her hair. Lol! But my husband thinks the same fixtures would work best also. Again, thank you!

• justlol
    5 years ago

Kristy, My kids rooms were changed over the years as they grew. My daughter wanted the walls painted lime green when she was 12! I was reluctant because it wasn't going to coordinate with anything in my house, but I had an older neighbor and she said to me, "What does it matter? It's only paint and you only have your children living in your home for just a few years. Do what makes her happy. You'll have plenty of time to decorate it as you please when she's gone." I thought about what she said, and we painted the room lime green! Lol. That color only lasted until high school, when she decided she wanted it changed to a beautiful shade of light blue. My son decided at that time he wanted University of Texas orange on his walls! Well, before I knew it they were out of the house. Now I do what I want. - The only people who really see your kids rooms are you, your kids, and their friends. Don't stress too much about making it look like a magazine photo! You will be making changes as they grow, I guarantee it! Enjoy your new home.

• chispa
    5 years ago

I don't love J & J either, but this house came with one and I left the layout as is when I remodeled it. It works fine as a bathroom!

What I really really don't like is a dark windowless bathroom, specially when a window could have been added to the space. I would add a window over the toilet.

Bedrooms 2 & 3 would also feel and look much better with more/bigger windows.

• User
    5 years ago

Kristy, just don't count on the disco covers, have a plan B and try them out. I'm just concerned that in a bathroom, they will impact the light much more than a bedroom. The good news is they are almost always returnable with the receipt, as I got mine at Home Depot. Also, if the only light is over the mirror in your daughters vanity area, you may find it poor for makeup.

Kristy Brown Hebert thanked User
  • jkt107
    5 years ago
    We had a very similar J&J setup for our high school aged boy and girl twins. Wasn't a problem. My son would use the third bathroom if they were both needing it at the same time. I used the same vanities, flooring and fixtures. The mirrors and paint colors differed. We recently sold that house and didn't receive any negative comments at all about the setup.
    Kristy Brown Hebert thanked jkt107
  • jacqtopia
    5 years ago

I like your layout too. I survived the 70's sharing a J&J bathroom with a brother and it worked out just fine. We had a pocket door to the shower/toilet area and a large long double sink vanity from bedroom door to bedroom door, and then there was a door from the hall to the shower/toilet area. So a few doors to close or lock but it just becomes a daily thing you don't think about.

And yes, it's your house so do what works for you and your family! Most overnight guests are family or close friends anyway who are just happy to be there.

I wish we had actually had a J&J set up for my own kids. I like them.

Good luck with your build.

Kristy Brown Hebert thanked jacqtopia
  • Kristy Brown Hebert
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks guys! Exactly my point about guests. Most of our guests, esp right now, live close enough that they come for the evening then go home anyway. And surely ppl wouldnt be rude enough to complain about your setup if you offer them a bed to sleep in. These are the comments and advice I’m seeking, thanks so much!

• Kristy Brown Hebert
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Bedroom 2 might look better with more or bigger windows but the outside would look bad with uneven windows on the front. More to my plan than what’s shown on the inside. im ok with the window size in bedroom 3 also. It’s the same size as the windows in my bedroom And I’m happy with it.

• chispa
    5 years ago

Bedroom 3 could have 2 of those windows together or separated, so that a bed could fit between them.

Even my 8.5 foot wide laundry room has more and larger windows, on its one outside wall, than your bedrooms.