SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicki612

Asking for layout & decor help- awkward space & asymmetrical windows

nicki 6
5 years ago

I moved in with my fiancé and have the greenlight to redecorate and replace everything. The house has asymmetrical windows that I’m finding it difficult to plan around. They are all different shapes, none are centered in any room, and none of the tops/bottoms line up on any wall. The family room is awkward because the TV is centered on the long front wall and blocking the window. There is a floor panel heater under that window so I hesitate to put floor to ceiling curtains near it. If you’re looking at the TV from the sofa, to the left is the long entry hall to the kitchen as well as the stairs to the basement. I’d like to round out the seating arrangement but don’t want to block the stairs. The short wall with entry door and dual window is 13 ft and the back wall with the couch is 18.3 ft long. I’m struggling with where to begin with redoing this room but here are a few questions:

1. Where should the TV go?

2. Should I get a sectional or a sofa and side chairs? What is the best layout to make the room feel more open and allow for as much seating as comfortably possible?

3. Wall paint and artwork suggestions?

4. How to disguise or draw less attention to the awkward windows while still letting light into the room?

Here are a few pictures of the family room. I apologize for the clutter and boxes - still unpacking. Appreciate any guidance you may provide!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH