SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodnative

Newer Microwave Just Died, Common with Newer Appliances??! Fix?

woodnative
5 years ago

In 2010 we redid part of our kitchen adding an over the stove microwave (Samsung). In late 2017 this suddenly started acting up. With the help of some youtube videos I dissasembled the panel, fixed something, and got it working a couple times more but then it died. I was dissapointed as this seemed relatively "new" to me (our old countertop microwave, which I still had in the garage and used temporarily, had worked forever). OK, so we bought a new one (another but newer Samsung, as the mounting bracket was the same). With the help of more youtube videos I was able to install the new one. Done. Hurray. So yesterday the new one died. Just went dead. No clock, light, or anything. I checked the outlet of course. Nope. Opened the panel up, all looked good. Replaced the 2 fuses just in case though they didn't look too bad. Nope. The door switches(?) seem fine. Called Samsung, it is out of the 1-year warranty, they told me to check the plug and outlet, but could give me no further free advice. Arghhh!!!!! Only 1.5 years old. if you look on the internet, there is a ton of people screaming about appliances dying just out of warranty. Is this common, or a small vocal minority? Is it worthwhile fixing this genuinely newer microwave (I think I would need a repair technician at this point, and hopefully they will find something I did not), or does it go to the landfill (seriously?!) and we get a new one? Seems like things really are not made to last these days.

Comments (30)