SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girl_wonder

Marmoleum--yay or nay?

girl_wonder
5 years ago

I'm considering marmoleum for my 1940s bungalow kitchen because it's an eco-friendly product and goes with the period of my house. I've read some older posts here. Some people said theirs is bulletproof. Others seem to have problems from Day 1. I'm confused. Is it that some are installed poorly? If so, any advice on how to vet the installer? Is this a product that needs to be babied? Is it a maintenance issue? Or ??? This sheet from Forbo said there is a top coat, so no polish is needed, but they do talk about a buffing machine. How often would I need to do that?

https://www.forbo.com/flooring/en-us/products/marmoleum/marmoleum-marbled/bsy3vo#panel_104

The sales guy who was here today made a few comments comparing it to hardwood--when you clean it, use a damp mop vs. sloshing on puddles of water; the materials expands like wood, etc. He also talked about how dents can be repaired.

Anyway, for those of you who have it, (or those who considered it and declined), I'd love to hear your experience and thoughts. Thanks for your help!

Comments (28)

• einportlandor
    5 years ago

Mine is five years old. Looks great in my 1928 home. Use a steam mop to clean, have never sealed or buffed it ... but I’m lazy. Really happy with the product.

girl_wonder thanked einportlandor
  • Lady Driver
    5 years ago

following. I have had linoleum in mind forever, but now that it isn't a fad I don't even know where to find a place where I can check it out in person.

girl_wonder thanked Lady Driver
  • partim
    5 years ago

I have marmoleum sheet in a home office that doesn't get much use. It showed a lot of scuffs very soon after installation, and because of that it doesn't look great. I have not buffed it because I don't have a buffing machine and don't want to pay for someone to come buff just one room. If I had to do it over again, I would not use it.

girl_wonder thanked partim
  • dsgts
    5 years ago

As if I didn't say too much already, I would like to add that the floor seller said I would regret marmoleum planks in my kitchen. He was right. For some reason, they did not lay flat. I took the planks out of the kitchen, put them in the laundry area, and installed hardwood (matching the floors throughout the main living area) in the kitchen. It was a perfect solution for me.

girl_wonder thanked dsgts
  • girl_wonder
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

einportlandor—I’m lazy too. I’d never even heard of a steam mop before! Lol.

LadyDrive, if you go to the Forbo website (makers of Marm) you can look up stores near you. You can also order free samples on line (I haven’t tried that yet). I think the trick is finding a good installer. It takes special skill. But my guess is that the companies that sell it can refer you to someone.

dsgts—thanks for all your comments. Yeah, seams are an issue. Thanks for your suggestions. Funny you should mention flooding. The sales guy who was out said that unless there is flood it should hold up ok. That was another case he compared it to wood.

partim, thanks for your thoughts. Do you remember the color/style? I’ve read that scuffs may be worse for lighter colors where the patterns not so busy.

Actually, if anyone else wants to reply, can you tell me which color you have. I wonder if that makes a difference...

thanks everyone!

• HKO HKO
    5 years ago
    I put the planks in a mudroom that got heavy Midwest winter use. After about 8 years we moved, and it had some small scuffs in the heaviest traffic area. It also faded and showed where the door mat was, but the mudroom was in an porch with lots of windows. It was kind of a straw color.

Then in a rental house I lived in next, the owners had put the sheer kind in a bath, laundry and mudroom area. Some was dark brown and some tan. I loved it. No scuffs in the 1.5 years we lived there. Easy to clean. I strongly considered it for my next house in the kitchen but ultimately decided to do the same flooring throughout.
    girl_wonder thanked HKO HKO
  • scottie mom
    5 years ago

I’ve got sheet marmoleum in my 1920s bungalow kitchen and I love it. Three years and relatively heavy use—primary entrance for people and dogs. No scuffs, no special treatment. I’ve never heard about needing to seal it or buff it or steam it. If I had, I probably wouldn’t have wanted to use it. Make sure underlayment is done right. Mine is a red-orange that works nicely with the style of the house and also with the oak in the next room. Good luck!

girl_wonder thanked scottie mom
  • nycbluedevil_gw
    5 years ago

I put marmoleum tiles in my kitchen almost seven years ago. We damp mop them. That’s it. They look perfect except for a few places where we dropped a knife and got a ding. Love this floor. It feels so good on the feet and legs, the floor doesn’t get cold and it looks beautiful—I designed a black border to follow the cabinet line around the room.

girl_wonder thanked nycbluedevil_gw
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

http://uwf.edu/media/university-of-west-florida/offices/procurement/bids/15rfpt-03aw/15RFPT-03AW_AttachF_FloorCareGuide.pdf

That’s a good overview. Buffing “as required” is part of the care regimen.

girl_wonder thanked User
  • partim
    5 years ago

Mine is a medium blue sort of marble look, with a black border. The black border shows every single speck of dust.

girl_wonder thanked partim
  • girl_wonder
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks scottie_mom and nycbluedevil. That’s helpful.

Thanks partim! Your floor looks cool. I’d been considering a black border (but with a tan middle) so thanks for the heads up. I remember that black cars show all the dirt, not sure why I didn’t thonk of this with floors.

• girl_wonder thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • girl_wonder
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks writersblock! When I seached there were so many hits, I missed that one.

• pamghatten
    5 years ago

I put down sheet Marmoleum in my kitchen at old house, never buffed it, just wet mopped it. It was a green/blue swirly pattern; don't think it's available any more. Never had any problems with it, loved it and miss it!

girl_wonder thanked pamghatten
  • Fori
    5 years ago

I put in sheet at old house. Installation was bad so it was redone. Never sealed it or polished it or whatevered it. Usually washed it with hot water. Best floor of any type in any room I've ever had. Comfy, durable, harder to break things on it, etc.

Stylewise it didn't work in my new kitchen (because it's more open concept so I needed the same floor in places where linoleum doesn't belong for me) but I miss it. :)

girl_wonder thanked Fori
  • loobab
    5 years ago

Hi-

Please look at this thread-

[https://www.houzz.com/discussions/please-give-it-to-me-straight-marmoleum-color-or-not-dsvw-vd~5504412?n=50[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/please-give-it-to-me-straight-marmoleum-color-or-not-dsvw-vd~5504412?n=50)

Specifically at the comment by Sophie Wheeler of October 9, 2018.

She is a Design Pro with a lifetime of experience. She no longer comments on Houzz, but her comments that are still here are worth their weight in gold.

In her comment she talks about the importance of the specific type of maintenance needed.

Each flooring material, wood, tile, marmoleum needs its own type of cleaning and upkeep.

girl_wonder thanked loobab
  • Fori
    5 years ago

I doubt that Sophie ever had modern sheet Marmoleum, because her comment is very much wrong. As revered as Sophie is to some, she occasionally spouted off incorrect facts.

girl_wonder thanked Fori
  • beanish
    5 years ago

I had sheet Marmoleum installed in both bathrooms almost 25 years ago. One is a kind of pinkish-gray, the other is bluish-green. Don't remember the names, but they really don't show dirt at all! I never buffed or maintained them in any special way. I think I bought some Marmoleum cleaner once but it is still sitting under the sink. In general, these floors held up well except there were problems (after many years) with water right next to the shower in one bathroom, and bathtub in other. My bad, I never dealt with it so it got worse. Floors can get dented if you drop something heavy on them. I am now redoing bathrooms and kitchen and plan to use sheet Marmoleum in all 3 rooms. For one bathroom I am considering a blackish one (Volcanic Ash, maybe?), and the other bathroom will have a lighter grayish one. I will take better care of these floors this time around. Here in the SF Bay Area, there are many showrooms and flooring places with Marmoleum displays and samples, and you can order samples as mentioned above. Installation I believe must be done by a "certified" Marmoleum installer. I like the look and feel of Marmoleum, softer on these old bones as I am readying our house for aging in place. Good luck!

girl_wonder thanked beanish
  • Aglitter
    5 years ago

Marmoleum seems to be as revered a material as soapstone on these forums, so with interest I flipped through a sample book at a local dealer recently. It looks like a nifty product, but the potential for damage would concern me as it's softer than my current linoleum that has sustained damage. Seams and seam placement would also be a problem for me visually. The real point against it for me was seeing a post in another thread here at Houzz from someone who had new Marmoleum and discovered to their dismay that it can stain.

girl_wonder thanked Aglitter
  • blackcats13
    5 years ago

I would LOVE to have sheet marmoleum in our bathrooms. Unfortunately there don't seem to be an installer in the Las Vegas area. I love my blue & purple & green samples!!

girl_wonder thanked blackcats13
  • girl_wonder
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone for your help. Is it hard to install sheets in a larger (or honestly, average size) kitchen?

I've started talking to installers. One looked at my floorplan and said the project was too hard for him. (he'd just lost his right-hand guy and was training someone new). He said if I went with a border around the edges it would be more feasible, but the labor to install would be costly. I talked to a "green" contractor who said they've only installed it in about 3 homes and they were all small rooms (like his mom's laundry room). Is this an issue, laying sheets in a larger room? Below is my floorplan.

The total length is about 19'. The width is 10', but the W/D closet adds another 3' and the kitchen nook expands the width about 2 feet. So wall-to-wall from inside to W/D closet to the opposite wall is about 15'. I know there will be seams but is this floorplan a deal-breaker for marmoleum? I had another installer over and he says he can do the job and didn't seem worried at all. (But he also said they don't do borders, but could do a heat-welded pin-stripe). I've heard enough stories of bad installations that I'm wondering if this could require super-human installation skills. Or...does it makes sense to design with some borders to make the project feasible?

Thanks for any thoughts!

• SJ McCarthy
    5 years ago

Sheet marmoleum is a specialized product with a specialized install. The people who are most familiar with it are COMMERCIAL installers. Yah. They guys who just installed 30,000sf of linoleum in the hospital expansion project! The commercial installers are the one's with all the tools (both mental and physical tools) to deal with sheet linoleum.

If you are working with marmoleum, please use one of their recommended installers. They *should have the proper training to deal with this. And yes, there will be seams. And yes, you have to decide if you can deal with seams. And yes you need a professional who knows how to layout a lino design to minimize the locations of the seams.

Whew. Sheet lino is cool but it needs special training. And if the guy dealing with it doesn't have all the tools to deal with it, it will go to heck in a hand basket SUPER quick. See if you can hook up with a commercial installer to help with this type of layout.

And yes, sheet lino install is more expensive...because of all of the above. What you get is a great floor that can/will last a lifetime.

girl_wonder thanked SJ McCarthy
  • leela4
    5 years ago

So, SJ (and anyone else who cares to add a comment based on their experience,) are you saying that 1) sheet marmoleum is harder to install than the click-squares or planks- and 2) commercial installers are better than a Forbo certified installer?

If the answer to #2 is yes, how does one find a commercial installer?

girl_wonder thanked leela4
  • everdebz
    5 years ago

We had Barley color in kitchen, laundry, and bathroom. Hair dye left a stain that I never got out. Bummer. My laundry room's elliptical machine left marks, probably like other flooring ?

It is great for those with allergies. Natural materials.... wood flour and linseed oil I think.

girl_wonder thanked everdebz
  • ulisdone
    5 years ago

I had marmoleum sheet and tiles ( this was before the click product) in Florida and it faded, stained, and dented very easily. It was fine for the first few years, then seemed to deteriorate. But I did not put a lot of the plastic sealer on it as recommended ( yearly sealed and buffed a Sophie said).

If you are going to use it, have the installers also install the proper subfloor, as lino is soft and will show all irregularities in the sub-surface.

I myself do not recommend Lino, and think you can get a much easier to maintain floor with commercial vinyl type tiles and still have the retro look.

girl_wonder thanked ulisdone
  • everdebz
    5 years ago

From houzz: Linoleum is static free (helpful when it comes to cleaning up pet hair) and is purported to be non-allergenic. Take care to clean it with pH neutral cleaners (Fabuloso is one) and it will stay looking beautiful for years and years.

Linoleum Pros: Wide selection of colors and patterns, environmentally friendly, easy to care for, comfortable underfoot. Cons: Can be expensive to have installed, difficulty finding an installer, water-resistant but not waterproof. Suggested uses: Living rooms, kitchens, hallways, baths, dry basements. Price range: $5 to $8 per square foot.

Marmoleum brand linoleum sheet flooring from Forbo · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/marmoleum-brand-linoleum-sheet-flooring-from-forbo-prvw-vr~270247

girl_wonder thanked everdebz