SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lec5848

NEED HELP! Air Admittance Valves

Lauren
5 years ago

Thanks in advance!! I have no knowledge of plumbing, but we are trying to instal a half bath under our stairs, and debating what to do about the vent. If we run a normal vent, which will have to be 3in and we will most likely be opening walls from the first floor to roof. After watching an episode of This Old House we saw they had used an in-wall vent that did not have to go all the way to the roof - AKA Air Admittance Valve. My first thought is that this would be a great option because there is plenty of room within the walls of the closet and we would not have to rip out any walls.

My concern is the code will not allow it. Our city (Weatherford, TX) says they have adopted "2009 IPC (International Plumbing Code)" and in the code it states:

"Section 917 - Air Admittance Valves - 917.1 General - Vent systems utilizing air admittance valves shall comply with this section. Stack-type air admittance valves shall conform to ASSE 1050. Individual and branch-type air admittance valves shall conform to ASSE 2051."

Any thoughts would be helpful!

Comments (6)