SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fay_fay

Can I DIY a makeover of my sloped hillside backyard section

fay_fay
5 years ago

Hey there! This is the lower section of my sloped backyard, and I don't want to make it "perfect" but I'd like to clean it up and make it more attractive.

We're tight on funds so I'm looking to DIY vs. paying a landscaper if possible.

My plan is to

1) Pull the wild onions to the best of my ability, there are also some annoying invasive bay trees and acacia trees growing that need to be dug out.

2) Where you see the overgrown "path" that goes to the old concrete platform (the rest of my yard and stairs have been redone but that's part of the remaining original funky stuff - you can see the newer stairs in the foreground) - I want to make the path more structured and add a border and fill it with gravel or something.

3) I want to plant some hearty, deer-proof (ha!) native plants on the hill

4) Lastly, I want to move two fruit trees that are in a different section of the yard to the upper part of this hillside (per my actual landscaper, he said they would do better down there). The scrawny tree you see in the foreground is an apple, but we have a beautiful young Fuyu persimmon and dwarf apricot tree. Both will need deer fencing around them - my yard is a deer thoroughfare.

So - can I do some or all of this myself? With some help from my handy husband? Thanks for any advice!

Comments (7)

Sponsored