SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westes

Anyone Have Luck Growing Bromeliad Puya Berteroniana?

westes Zone 9b California SF Bay
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I have had luck growing Puya Alpestris but the larger related plant Puya Berteroniana I cannot get to grow. I have tried growing this in both containers of gritty mix, and separately in containers of desert soil made from peat, turface, and stone. The gritty mix is an outright fail. The plant dies back about 1/4 of an inch each month and never takes hold after even 18 months. The peat mix is less of a disaster, but the plant is dying back there about 1/8th of inch each month. Perhaps the peat mix is too acidic and I probably need to target a pH of 6.5.

I am in zone 9a and Puya Berteroniana should grow to zone 8. I have tried watering once a week and once every two weeks in Summer and it is clear that letting the pot dry out really stresses the plant, but no amount of water seems to change the outcome.

Does anyone have luck growing this plant and what kind of soil were you using?

The first attached photo is not my plant, but it gives you some idea how amazing this plant can be and why I am chasing it. The second photo is the current state of my (very pathetic :) ) plant in a container of gritty mix.

Comments (9)