SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teriziegler

Pencil markings on wood

Teri Ziegler
5 years ago
Is there a way to remove pencil markings from narrow places like this that the Builder has left? He left pencil marks all over everything. On the bigger places that I can reach I can use a large eraser. Many spots are too narrow to get even the end of a pencil eraser in.
I have tried the tiniest sandpaper wedges called "Sand its", and in some places I can fold a piece of sandpaper to get into the edges,and I'm not sure that's working the greatest either. Am I the only one annoyed by their pencil marks everywhere or is this something I should expect them to clean up? (good luck with my crew). Some of these are on the stairs inside my house and many of them are on the decks they built. if you don't get pencil marks off, will they show through the stain when you finish your deck?

Comments (52)

• Teri Ziegler
    Original Author
    5 years ago

These are a few examples of the pencil markings inside on the inside stairs and outside on the deck. If I'm being too picky I know you'll be honest with me.

• BT
    5 years ago

Buy cheap white eraser sharpen it with a box knife at 45 degrees

• Related Discussions

Painting stripes on a wall-pencil marks : (

Q

Comments (2)
    Have you tried a white eraser? When I did stripes on a wall I also had little-bitty pencil marks and the white eraser took them right off without hurting the paint finish. Phew!
    ...See More

Pencil marks - ipe

Q

Comments (3)
    Thanks, Joe. I'll give it a try. But I have to admit, after looking at your gallery of projects, I feel like throwing away my tools. You do some FINE work. You've even managed to "make a silk purse out of a sow's ear". I'm referring to your Trex seaside deck. Truly an inspiration for all us DIYers.
    ...See More

QOtD - marking pencils

Q

Comments (13)
    I bought the EZ Quilting Pencil pack #882668 from one of the 'famous instructors' at a workshop -- I can't recall which one. This pack is similar to the pencils Sandra uses, except they fit into a regular pencil sharpener which is always in my little box of goodies I keep with my machine. I like a sharp point for precision. These pencils are oil free, can be washed out with cool water or erased. Also includes a template marker. I also use the air purple disappearing marker & I have the blue water soluble marker. My favorite is my tailor's chalk from my years of garment construction. I also use soap - thank you Gwen. As you can see, I have and use different marking for different tasks. I also have some chalk markers - they disappear too easily from handling or smudge the line. I hate-hate -hate the white marking pencil from Joanns - the lead breaks - finally tossed it this weekend. Here is a link that might be useful: Marking Pencils
    ...See More

Wax paper left marks on my wood table...HELP !

Q

Comments (11)
    If it's wax which sounds likely Two options - brown paper and an iron on mild heat- or benzene (or lighter fluid) can be a little tricky depending on how deep into the wood but I'd expect not that far unless you burned the cookies. Likely will wear off too. Then get a better sealer and as noted wire racks make for better cookies.
    ...See More
  • User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Acetone or denatured alcohol will remove graphite without scratching or raising the grain of the wood. Wrap a cloth or paper towel around a knife blade, trowel, putty knife, spatula, etc.

• Teri Ziegler
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    You all are wonderful!
  • User
    5 years ago
    No carpenter should leave pencil marks like that. Maybe sand paper over a metal spatula to access the impossible to reach places? And sharp eraser for other spots like other comment or suggested. Only thing about sanding off marks is best way to to it is with the grain and you may not have access. You may have to go against the grain and that will leave its own mark (but maybe still less noticeable than pencil...)
  • User
    5 years ago
    Just read RES 3D Sketches. Do that! Much better than my comment.
  • mandapanda75
    5 years ago
    I am currently building a house, and the electrician wrote words (like where things were located) all over our newly painted walls. Our builder is ticked and is going to have to repaint our entire house. It wouldn’t surprise me if he charged our electrician for the painting.
  • Teri Ziegler
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Manda Panda 75, I know! that would be so unfair. That's the way my Builder Acts, like it's not his problem. I just don't get that. That's not professional or kind.
  • vinmarks
    5 years ago

They should have erased the pencil markings. Hopefully the suggestion RES made gets them off. I know that would drive me nuts too.

We had lumber used on our handrails for our deck that had stamps on them. They never sanded them off. Just stained right over them. We will get around to sanding them off and restaining. We got to the point in our build that we would rather fix the small stuff on our own then have them come and make a bigger mess.

• Teri Ziegler
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    vinmarks, we are at that point now. That's why I posted this question, because we're trying to decide which part of it we should do and which to request them to do. I hear you.
  • worthy
    5 years ago

I had a project manager who used ballpoint pen to make notes on the drywall. So not only ink to cover, but depressions to fill.

• ksc36
    5 years ago

I write the codes to key less entries to houses on inconspicuous spots on the house exterior. If I return a few months later they are almost always gone.

I wouldn't worry too much about pencil marks on exterior wood. Use them as a guide. When they are gone the wood is dry enough to stain.

• Teri Ziegler
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    worthy, oh my goodness! I can't believe that people don't have common sense, especially the ones that are supposed to be experienced and professional at this. But I don't have to be a professional to know that that wouldn't be a good idea.
    I hate that so many people have these bad experiences, but I have to tell you, it makes me feel better to hear other stories, because and I know that this is what a lot of people go through and it's not just me.
    If there ever could be a support group for people building homes, this forum is it, and you guys are awesome.
  • Teri Ziegler
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    ksc36, that is good to know. So they actually do fade over time so that they wouldn't be noticeable, because that's a lot of erasing for me to do. I'm going to do my best but then knowing that they will fade over time let's me breathe a little easier.
  • Teri Ziegler
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    graywings123, oh my goodness, well then I need to get as much of it off as I can.
  • Teri Ziegler
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    On our deck, we might paint the railings and ledges White so I guess that would cover the pencil marks fine if I just get off as much as I can.
  • ksc36
    5 years ago

Never a good idea to paint a wooden deck, unless you like scraping, sanding, and painting wooden decks. I like weathered grey decks...

• ksc36
    5 years ago

...and I really hate to do this but that post attachment detail is questionable. Railing posts need to be attached to the framing. Those toe screws wouldn't pass any codes that I know.

https://www.deckmagazine.com/design-construction/railings/code-compliant-guardrail-posts_o

• User
    5 years ago

The pencil marks will take 10 minutes to remove with acetone. There was a time that architects needed to clean all their drafting equipment with acetone often. I still have a can of it.

If the deck posts are surface attached, you will need to replace them and provide direct anchors to the framing. Better to find that out now than later when it fails. Was there no building inspector?

• Teri Ziegler
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The deck posts are directly anchored into the deck. So that's a good thing!
    What kind of acetone are you talking about? I tried the kind I take my fingernail polish off with and that didn't do anything. That's probably not what you meant right?
  • ksc36
    5 years ago

It looks like they are screwed on top of the decking. They should be bolted to the framing, and the decking should notched around them.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

Can you post an image(s) of what the posts look like from under the deck showing how they are anchored to the deck framing? If the posts are not anchored to the framing, the pencil marks will be easy to remove once the railing posts fail.

• Teri Ziegler
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hmmm, then maybe I am wrong about how they are anchored. ???
  • Teri Ziegler
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Mark, here are photos of underneath. Maybe I was wrong. if what we have done is wrong, please tell me simply what we should have done. I am keeping track of all of our mistakes so I can share with others so they don't go through this.

• User
    5 years ago

Your rail posts were toe nailed into deck boards. The rail posts should have been bolted to the deck framing.

• PRO
    PPF.
    5 years ago

I've omitted the details, but here are 2 common ways of mounting the posts.

They need to extend down and tie into the deck framing, not just sit on top.

• BT
    5 years ago

Is this deck attached to your house... What is the house cladding? Are there flashing details? The leger board is attached with...?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

Ksc was the first to catch the poor post detail. Hopefully some of the posts that support the deck's railing pass through the deck's decking and are secured to the deck structure.

• Teri Ziegler
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Wow, what a mess my new house is! I don't even know what to think. If I didn't trust that God's got us covered, I'd be full of fear. We passed most of our inspections, and the ones we didn't, we fixed what they told us to. These sound like serious things wrong. How could we pass inspections with such things wrong?
  • worthy
    5 years ago

How could we pass inspections with such things wrong?

Inspectors' training, interest and workload varies enormously from one jurisdiction to another.

Since the deck is fair game now, some of the joist hangers are incorrectly sized. But will your deck fall down? Probably not. (Just don't lean too much on the railings.)

• User
    5 years ago

Post a plan or photos of the entire deck so we can see the railing system Also post some photos of the corner posts.

• Teri Ziegler
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    RES, I don't know what good it would do to post pictures of those things now when it's almost all done and there's nothing we can do. Or I should say nothing my husband will spend money on to do differently. So these are things that a more experienced Builder along with a good project manager would have caught and changed before the house got this far?
    Feeling kind of sick to my stomach today knowing all of these things about my house.
  • User
    5 years ago

The code requires a guard railing to resist a 200 lb horizontal force at any point along the top rail but, to my knowledge, it doesn't say how to achieve it. The screws into the decking might be that strong now but may weaken with time.

I've seen old railings removed that used 6x6 posts and were attached this way without failing but the larger posts would have been stronger..

A photo might help us to judge whether or not the railing will be safe (there might a post or two attached to the framing) but pushing on it really hard might be all the assurance you are going to get. Its not as if the deck was 10 ft off the ground.

• User
    5 years ago

FWIW, I have seen galvanized steel pipe, sistered to posts.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

Terri, after seeing so many examples of poor and unknowledgable workmanship in your various posts, I'm left wondering if your husband may have selected this builder simply because he offered "an amazing low price"? Or because the builder is his brother?

I can't imagine what his other recommendations could be.

• Teri Ziegler
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Virgil, we interviewed several builders and one we wanted did not have time to build for us, another was more expensive, and my husband grew impatient. I see that it has led to what he thought was going to save money, has actually costed more money. I am sick to my stomach almost every day thinking about this mistake. There is no way my husband would stop production now, because he just wants to get in. We have hired a couple other subs to finish the shower sand redo our doors, and hopefully there's enough right with the house that we will have many good years here. If my experience and stories here could be of any use to other people, hopefully others will be spared of this crappy experience. I have big faith and I'm trusting God to take what we have done and somehow make something good from it. He's really good at that.
  • Teri Ziegler
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Virgil, nope, the Builder is not my husband's brother. but I know what you mean.
  • Teri Ziegler
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    When you guys mention a box knife for cutting the eraser to get into the narrow spots, or for fixing the rough, splintered wood on the handrail, what kind of box knife are you talking about? I went online and there's so many kinds. Can anybody send me a link to a simple box knife that would be good for these kind of things, especially for the uneven splintered handrail wood?
  • User
    5 years ago

A box knife is what you would cut cardboard with. Its also called a mat knife or a utility knife. They are made in different sizes with different kinds of blades that are often retractable. The kind for light duty work in tight spaces are shown here.

Avoid X-acto knives; the round handle and pointed blade makes them very dangerous. Many architects have scars to prove it.

• User
    5 years ago

Relying on God for your safety in a botched house? Good luck with that.

• Teri Ziegler
    Original Author
    5 years ago

RES , here are some photos that may help you see if this will be safe. you mentioned that seeing a photo of the entire deck, the corners and the railing system could help.

• Teri Ziegler
    Original Author
    5 years ago

RES, here are a few more to help determine the safety and structure of my deck.

• Teri Ziegler
    Original Author
    5 years ago

RES, and a few more in case this helps.

• User
    5 years ago

The posts appear to be 6x6 so if the screws are deck screws designed for exterior use you should be fine. If the posts start to move when you push against them, you might need to add some small stainless steel steel clip angles at the base of the posts.

• Teri Ziegler
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    RES, thank you so much for that input. Yes, I believe that all of the screws used outside are exterior screws.
    This makes me feel better today.
  • greg_2015
    5 years ago

How is the deck attached to the house? I don't see any lag bolts. Just a few little black dots that I'm assuming are screw heads. Is that all that's holding it to the house?

• User
    5 years ago

Good catch Greg. The 205 IRC requires lag bolting and flashing. Of course, there might not be a code or inspector.

• PRO
    PPF.
    5 years ago

I don't remember the last time I used a lag screw for anything.

I use these or similar from Simpson.

I imagine (hope) the black dots are this type of fastener.