SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trpnbils

Rejuvenating soil in neglected cornfield

trpnbils
5 years ago

My wife and I are in the process of building on 10 acres of what has been a cornfield for at least 35 years (I grew up next door and can remember it being soy occasionally too) and has been failing as a cornfield for at least the past 10 years (farmer barely gets anything off of it and stalks grow to ~4ft). I know corn does a number on nutrient and overall soil health, and we're wondering about getting it back to something respectable. Part of it will be our yard (an acre or so, maybe), and we'd like to put some trees in it, we'd like to have a small orchard area eventually, a big garden, and then dedicate most of the rest of it to pasture land for when we can get a barn built and get a couple of horses.

Aside from needing to test the soil, is there a good "broad spectrum" (for lack of a better word) start we can make this first year? I was thinking maybe planting a cover crop to plow under at some point.

FYI - we're not looking to farm the land, necessarily. We don't have any big equipment to do our own plowing aside from a rototiller. We just want to have healthy soil we can successfully grow on and, essentially, "reclaim" an abused corn field.

Comments (10)