SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patti_sano

grapefruit tree losing leaves

Patti Sano
5 years ago

Help! My potted grapefruit tree is losing leaves. I've had it 2 years. The first year I didn't give it any fertilizer. Last year, I fertilized it 4 or 5 times. I fertilized it in January this year. It put out lots of blooms, but I think most of the fruit has fallen off. A few of the leaves are curled, but not all of them. It has a few newer leaves. It's still dropping leaves. Some of the branches are bare. I over winter it indoors, but it's about time to move it back to my patio. What can I do to help it?

Comments (27)

• PRO
    Colwynn Garden Design
    5 years ago

Has it always been in that pot? If so, I suggest moving it into a bigger pot.

Patti Sano thanked Colwynn Garden Design
  • Patti Sano
    Original Author
    5 years ago

yes, it's always been in that pot. It's about 16.5" at the top X 16-17" tall. How big should the pot be?

• Related Discussions

Grapefruit Tree lost leaves

Q

Comments (6)
    First and hardest is to remove all the fruit; the tree needs to put energy into leaves, not fruit. Second, remove all the grass under the tree to the dripline. Get rid of the stake; and prune the dead branches back to the first live green bud. Test the soil to see if it is wet/damp down to at least 18 inches; if not give it more water. Lastly, give it a shot of a good citrus fertilizer heavy on the Nitrogen which will encourage leaf growth.
    ...See More

Lime tree losing green leaves & new leaves with yellow spots (pics)

Q

Comments (11)
    You could try and prune it to a smaller size maybe if you wish to keep it in a smaller pot, my key lime is quite small and it went through several flowering cycles this year. Citrus are heavy feeders so providing enough nutrients is key. I use granular citrus fertilizer on a monthly basis just topdress the soil, and when my plants are fruiting and flowering I use a water soluble fertilizer weekly. They also make water soluble citrus nutrients which can be diluted and sprayed on the leaves. I prefer to apply smaller amounts of nutrients more often. Also I recommend using organic fertilizer, non organic fertilizer will lead to salt build up in the pot. The picture is the kinds of fertilizer I use. In the background you can see some key limes in my fruit basket.
    ...See More

Potted grapefruit tree beginning to get sunburn on the leaves

Q

Comments (2)
    I am curious to see pics. I wonder if kaolin foliar would be helpful, especially if it's too hard to move the plant? Surround WP https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0061/1391/9089/files/pmb380-b.pdf?v=16658315131648415598
    ...See More

Lemon/grapefruit tree leaves going yellow?

Q

Comments (4)
    The leaves are showing a manganese deficiency. The symptom that a citrus tree produces when manganese is deficient in a leaf is as follows: green veins, AND WITH GREEN BORDERS along the sides of the veins, as show in the picture provided. This is rather common in new leaves. and most of the time the tree will take care of the deficiency on it own. The reason for the deficiency is that manganese is in soil in a very small amounts. The new leaves are growing faster than the tree's root system can collect enough manganese to supply the rapid growth. However, over time the tree catches up. You can foliar spray a manganese solution to quicken the process of reliving the deficiency if you wish,, but most people leave it up to the tree.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Colwynn Garden Design
    5 years ago

Its not that the pot is too small, I am just speculating that it's roots may not have room to grow. It's a good idea to re-pot into something bigger every year (or 2).

Patti Sano thanked Colwynn Garden Design
  • Vladimir (Zone 5b Massachusetts)
    5 years ago

The tiny white spots on the leaves indicates you might have spider mites which are too small to be easily seen by eye. Use a magnifying glass to see if there are any. If there are mites, then treat with insecticidal soap or horticultural oil (or neem oil).

I can not tell if the pot is of appropriate size but the real problem with that pot, because of its shape, is you will have difficulty getting the root ball out when it comes time to repot.

Patti Sano thanked Vladimir (Zone 5b Massachusetts)
  • Patti Sano
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Would the spider mites cause the leaf drop?

• User
    5 years ago

A hammer will make it easy to get the pot off. 8^)

Patti Sano thanked User
  • Patti Sano
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I've treated the tree with neem oil once. How many times do I have to treat with neem oil? If the tree has to be repotted, I can do that and treat with neem oil at that time. The nursery I bought it from said I shouldn't have to repot for a long time. I don't mind repotting it in a larger pot, but I don't know if it needs to be repotted every 1-2 years, does it?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

How often it will need to be repotted will depend on the soil mix. A peat-based mix (most commercial bagged potting soils) breaks down rapidly and starts to compress or collapse so these should be refreshed or soil replaced on an annual basis. A more durable, bark-based mix can last longer. And all container grown trees will need root pruning periodically as well. Unless you choose to up-pot every time.

Patti Sano thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    5 years ago

where are you .... since its indoors.. its a cold place.. what type of furnace.. whats your indoor winter humidity ... is the window south facing ...

trees are not houseplants ...

i wouldnt fertilize a tree in winter ... it should be in slow motion during winter slo down ...

BUT!!!! ... this MI boy has no citrus background ... maybe those are fert'd in winter.. when indoors ....

no tree holds its leaves forever.. they are shed as they age ... so part of the shedding is normal ..

ANY stress to the tree can cause increased shedding ... like significantly reducing sunlight by bringing it in the house ... transplanting/repotting it ... smearing neem all over it ... etc ... etc ... perhaps significantly low indoor winter humidity also ...

bottom line.. its a tree .. its not a houseplant.. it should be outdoors ... you cant really change that equation by trying to grow citrus in a cold climate on top of that ...

anyway.. its been thru all kinds of stresses ... plus you might have bugs ... and delineating which thing put it over the top ... might never be answered ...

BTW .... do you let it near dry.. between waterings.. trees prefer a sip of water .. full drainage.. and near drying.. between waterings ...

good luck

ken

ps: why the heavy mesh over the pot.. and whats the plug for near it.. in the last pic ...

Patti Sano thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)
    5 years ago

... and not to mention ... yoda like stream of consciousness ... or brain waves , etc, etc ...... or thoughts trickling ... whatever ...

!! usually I skip ... such disjointedness ... no ill intention ... just having some fun .. see ya ... enjoy !!

To the OP: I do not see any pest problem. But check under the leaves and stems for signs of pests. Usually at this of the year house plants react to increasing light. It is also time of the year for tropicals to wake up to produce new growth and shed some older leaves. But yours seem to be shedding new leaves too. It is likely the problem lies in the soil and your watering habits. Perhaps compacted soil with accumulated salts over the winter.

If it is ready to go outside in your area then do it. Keep it in open shade for a week or two. If it is going to rain let it soak well. Otherwise flush the soil: Water it several times with plain water (rain water will be better) and let it drain out well. This will flush your soil of accumulated salts. After that give it a 1/4 to 1/2 strength fertilizer and do not water till it is quite dry.

Patti Sano thanked tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)
  • Patti Sano
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you to everyone. I live in central Arizona, south of Sedona, but well north of Phoenix. It gets very hot in the summer, but can snow (like this year) in the winter. The mesh over the pot is to keep my cat from digging in it. I didn't like finding piles of dirt on the floor, plus it can't be good for the plant. The plug is for a grow light I have attached to a pole. I didn't use it much this year. I have a number of orchids. They seem to be doing ok w/o it, and I got it primarily for the orchids. But the room has windows on 3 sides, and the tree is next to a North facing window. I have beautiful views so I leave them uncovered during the day. During the summer, it stays on my patio (also north facing, and covered). It's too big for me to move it back and forth a lot. When I water it during the winter, I watch for the water to seep out into the dish, then stop. I usually water again when the dish is dry.

I don't think it's shed any of it's new leaves. I'll check under the leaves for pests. I still don't know how many times to treat with neem oil. I didn't smear it on. the leaves. I diluted per pkg instructions and used a sprayer to spray it on.

• Patti Sano
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This picture is of the mesquite trees behind my house covered with snow, but the snow was gone by the afternoon.

• Denise Becker
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I think I see some branches dying back so I am thinking it's the soil retaining too much water. What type of soil is the tree in? The time to water is when the top 1-2" of soil is dry.

This is the time of year for the trees to be shedding, so some of it may be for that reason. If your new leaves are doing it too, then you have reason to be concerned.

A good pot to use is one that has a wider opening at the top so the tree can be taken out to be examined easily. I am wondering if the pot and drip tray are one piece and am concerned about the water not draining away well enough. The roots may not be getting any oxygen from the bottom. I would check the roots to see how they look in case there is root rot just to be on the safe side. If you have another pot which has more holes at the bottom, I would switch it out.

I can't tell if there are any bugs for sure as my computer won't blow up the photo. If the leaves are sticky, then yes spray with neem and then reapply 7 days later. Mites are tough to eliminate inside the house as they seem to return fairly quickly. I am fighting rust or some sort of red mites myself.

Citrus trees should be fertilized during the winter with a liquid fertilizer at half of the recommended strength. The organic granules don't break down during the winter. During the growing season, do it monthly with a citrus fertilizer. What type of fertilizer did you use?

Patti Sano thanked Denise Becker
  • Patti Sano
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Arizona's Best, a dry fertilizer now. At first I gave it some organic fertilizer, also dry, that had very low numbers. I'll buy another pot for it, larger. I think the leaves are sticky. I don't know what kind of soil it has. I'm disabled and leave most of the gardening, including the potting, to a gardening guy I use. He said the pot had lots of drainage. It';s made of some kind of plastic, and I asked him to drill holes for drainage in it. It's not part of the dish below it. I didn't fertilize it over the winter, but I did give it some fertilizer in January. The new leaves that recently came out are much larger than the old ones. There are a number of bare branches, though. When it's repotted, I'll check the roots. It's an Oroblanco, and the fruit is very delicious. I only had one fruit this past year, and it seems that all my fruit has fallen off, so I don't think I'll have any this year, but I want to take care of it. When I put it outside, it's on drip irrigation. We have water restrictions here, so I am supposed to water only 3 times/week.

• iandyaz
    5 years ago

Even with the very rare snow, I'd still consider planting it in the back. Snow will actually protect leaves from a deep cold. The only thing that would make that a bad idea is if the daytime highs stay below 45 for more than a month in your area. In my area the daytime highs go down to around 45 for about a week or three in January.. sometimes longer but I'm pretty sure it's never consistent for over a month. All my citrus (even the lemon trees) are fine with it. It helps if they are already established by the time the deep cold comes, and some protection the first few winters (just put a blanket over them that reaches the ground on all sides on very cold nights).

I think the current issue with your grapefruit is most likely the watering issue that gardengal48 pointed out. It could stay in that container longer but I wouldn't keep it in there much longer considering the roots are probably already circling the sides. Keep in mind the first time you water it after it's been fully dried out, the soil could have become hydrophobic, which means the water will just start running out of the bottom when you water it. If this happens you need to dunk the whole pot in water for a while to get it to absorb water again.

Patti Sano thanked iandyaz
  • Ken B Zone 7
    5 years ago

"When I water it during the winter, I watch for the water to seep out into the dish, then stop. I usually water again when the dish is dry."

Right there is one of your biggest problems. Never leave water in the dish. You are correct in watering it until water starts to flow into the dish, but then you have to empty they water from the dish. You wouldn't like walking around in wet socks all day and citrus trees do not like "wet feet" either. Letting it sit in a dish of water will lead to root rot which is probably what is causing your leaf loss right now.

Patti Sano thanked Ken B Zone 7
  • Patti Sano
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm disabled, and can't move the tree. It;'s too big for me. I'll try to use the method suggested by Denise Becker next winter and check the topsoil. When I water the orchids, I let them drain over the sink. It helps a lot. I know what you're saying, Ken B.

I'm afraid to plant it in my yard. It's really cold in winter up here. Do you live near Phoenix, iandyaz? Besides, I live in an HOA and they require approval for planting any trees. They don't want the views blocked. I have really nice views, but I don't have many other spots in my yard to plant a tree. As it is, my lilac bush isn't blooming, and I think it doesn't get enough light. I've been struggling with an idea of where I might move it.

• Denise Becker
    5 years ago

Patti, you do have another option. You can do a root and canopy prune so that the tree can stay about the same size and is manageable for you. Another thing that may come in handy is putting your tree on a plant dolly so you can move it around if necessary. I use the Down Under Plant Dolly myself which can be purchased online at Home Depot. There are different sizes.

Your new leaves are larger than normal because it's the plant's way to capture more light. Think of it as a solar panel. Trim off the brown branches a little past green tissue so the tree doesn't die back more.

If you have good lighting, well draining soil, and a regular fertilization schedule using a citrus specific fertilizer, you are good to go for this year.

• Patti Sano
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Denise, how do I prune the roots? I understand pruning the canopy. I have a polly underneath it. The first one wasn't very good, so I found another with six arms on Amazon that seems to be much better.

• Patti Sano
    Original Author
    5 years ago

polly shd be dolly

• Patti Sano
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I found a 20" clay pot at a local nursery (It has a dish, separate). That should be big enough, shouldn't it?

• Denise Becker
    5 years ago

Patti, I suggest going with a plastic pot as the clay pots add unnecessary weight especially in your situation. I know the benefits of terra cotta but still prefer the plastic. If the pot falls over, it doesn't break. Add extra holes if you can.

Root pruning is pretty simple. You just cut off roots on the sides and the bottom and refresh the soil. Here is a video of how this person does it, but I just cut off 2" off mine, roughed up a bit the sides and was done with it. My trees did fine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzNZEH0NOEU

• Patti Sano
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I noticed that there is a sticky, sweet liquid coming out of the branches. Is that caused by red mites too?

• Denise Becker
    5 years ago

If it's an amber color product coming from the actual branches, it could be gummiosis. If it's actually on the leaves, then the cause could be spider mites or some other pest. A picture would help.

• Patti Sano
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'll try to take a picture of it tomorrow. Thank you.

• Patti Sano
    Original Author
    5 years ago

There was enough light to take pictures today. I think the liquid IS amber, and a number of branches have it. The leaves seem ok, except if they're under those branches.