SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Dining room refresh phase 1 - eco friendly flooring

l pinkmountain
5 years ago

DH tells me he's going to have time this summer to help me redo our dining room in the house I inherited from my folks. The room has hideous light blue low shag/plush carpeting which is original to when the house was built in the late 90's.

It's a small room. I want it to match the other flooring in the house, so either I need to extend the upscale kitchen/entryway faux-marble flooring into the dining room, or find something that matches the oak veneer wood flooring in the parlor. Those are the rooms adjacent to the dining room. They discontinued the flooring from the parlor which is why my folks never added more of it to the rest of the house. It's pretty much a paper thin sheet of wood over cardboard. Does not hold up to heavy traffic. So no great loss on that other than matching.

DH wants to go engineered wood, but that's basically plastic, non biodegradable stuff. I have found some that matches the parlor flooring more or less. DH says the house and our time frame for staying in it don't necessarily merit the investment in solid hardwood. Since the room is small, very little of the floor will show. We're not putting in a rug under the table.

I've already started perusing eco-friendly design sites. I think bamboo is too grainy to match the parlor floor. Extending the vinyl tile from the kitchen would be ok, but more plastic. I don't want a unique flooring in there, the house is choppy enough as it is.

Does anyone have any experience with any other options, like a wood veneer or a reclaimed wood? We live out in the boonies so I would have no idea how to source such a thing. DH is a carpenter but doesn't have a lot of experience with wood flooring. Wood yes, wood flooring not so much. But he's game to learn. He's installed a lot of the engineered wood-look stuff.

I'm trying to decide whether I should just bite the bullet and do real wood, it's a small-ish room, or if there's a less expensive middle ground that won't live forever in a landfill when it eventually gets torn out. Or maybe the engineered wood will last long enough I shouldn't worry about it. I have no experience with the longevity of that product. I have it in my office, it seems ok but I've only worked there five years. The real wood flooring is 70 or more years old and still going strong.

Comments (4)