SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bea_in_fl

Baby bird season

bea (zone 9a -Jax area)
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Some of you know I was a licensed wild bird rehabilitator for over 27 years. I hope you're ok with me pisting the following here…it's not gardening related but as gardeners we tend to see more stuff in our properties. Also, if you want you can find more wildlife information on my FB page. Just type in my first name and look for my avitar. I make all such info public so you'll be able to see it.

BABY BIRDS

It's that time of year when I get calls from people who know I was a wild bird rehabilitator for many years and they want to know what to do about a baby bird they found. Please share this information. Here's the scoop:

Wild bird parents do a much better job at successfully rearing their young than humans. If the baby bird is naked or has pin feathers and cannot stand or move around freely, it should be returned to its nest. IT'S NOT TRUE THAT IF A HUMAN TOUCHES IT, ITS MOTHER WILL DESERT IT. Usually nestlings land on the ground right under their nests. If the bird is lying under a tree or shrub try to locate its nest, probably straight above in the tree or shrub. If the nest has fallen on the ground, secure it in the tree or shrub. If it is destroyed, make a new one out of a margarine tub lined with grass by poking a couple of holes on the bottom for rain drainage, tying three or four strings around the rim and securing it close to the original nest site.

Watch the nest closely for at least one half hour to see if the parents return. If the baby bird is well-feathered and hopping around, leave it alone; it is a fledgling. At that age, the young bird is supposed to hop around in the bushes or under them and exercise its wings. A parent is probably close by. If the youngster is in the street, herd it back to the nearest bush.

If for some reason the bird cannot be reunited with its parent(s) or is injured or bleeding call a wildlife rehabilitator. Please don't try to raise it yourself. Wild birds should not be raised alone and they require specific diets to insure good feather and bone development. Depending on their age they may need to be fed as often as every half hour from 7am to 9pm.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Comments (6)