SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aigredoux

Pimp my dining room

Butternut
5 years ago

I "did" this room in a rush before Christmas, but it still needs work.

The furniture was my grandmother's, early 1970s Kindel Cherry. I had the chairs reupholstered from the original 70s fabric (an orange and avocado stripe) to the current cream damask crypton.

The wallpaper is new and I love it, Farrow and Ball Hornbeam.

The light is also new, and maybe a touch big for the space, but is staying.

The rug was inexpensive ($200) and I think a bit too short (9x12). The color matches but I don't think it's giving the "feel" I want for the room, maybe pulling it a bit too contemporary. I'm willing to take that as an oopsie and replace if necessary.

I use the room frequently to seat 10, including 4 little kids under the age of 7. So I need more seating (to replace the green Ikea chairs).

The tablecloth is there for function, not form, and is not beautiful but cleans easily.

My biggest issue with this room has always been the window treatments. The blinds are "nice" (hunter douglas) wood blinds, but I don't love them. I saw a picture long ago that I can no longer find with a curtain that was sheer on top and silk on the bottom, in white, a little bit whiter than the trim. I have been thinking about doing sheer from the top of the wall down to the bottom of the windowsill, and then silk below. I, with my mom's help, could make these myself.

So chairs, rug, window treatments, new tablecloth? Thoughts? TIA!

Comments (188)