SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
posierosie_zone7a__

Post your 2019 Spring bulb pictures here!

Spread the joy and cheer of your Sprong bulbs! I know zone 8 is already chugging along and zone 7 is right behind them!

Comments (173)

• Jenn
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Daffodils are mostly done and deadheaded, but muscari and tulips are going strong. (The deer spray I tried this year really worked so far!)

posierosie_zone7a thanked Jenn
  • maylingsmom
    3 years ago

This might not be the appropriate place to post this but since anemone blanda are spring bulbs I am going to ask. Have any of you collected seed from blanda? If so, how did you catch them before they spilled out of the pod?

posierosie_zone7a thanked maylingsmom
  • Related Discussions

Post your pictures of spring!

Q

Comments (15)
    Thank you, kato-b, They are all new plantings..I love the way they have done. I had just casually opened this forum last summer, and I was in trouble ass soon as I saw the daffodils. Now, I have to have more! I plant tulips every year since I love them so. I have at least snapped off the pod to prevent seeds this year, and am fertilizing as bloom stops to see if I can get any kind of stand next year. Iris_gal, That is a beautiful daffodil! I love the color. kay
    ...See More

Spring Fever - post your pictures!

Q

Comments (19)
    All those lovely summertime shots make me want to get out seed packets and shuffle them, making plans. We don't get snow -- unless you count the dab of sleet we had last week. It helps to pot up bulbs to bloom inside like hyacinths and amaryllis. A freeze took out open Camellia blooms last week but tight buds opened quickly as it warmed. This this pic is from yesterday; today we have rain and the amaryllis and I are bundled up inside again.
    ...See More

spring post spring post spring post

Q

Comments (55)
    Not great lighting for pics, but a couple spruces are doing their thing: Picea pungens 'Procumbens' It used to be very stiffly horizontal, but the left side started upturning last year or so. Usually even more intense blue. Picea abies 'Pendula' Picea glauca 'Rainbow's End' Picea pungens 'Thume'
    ...See More

Show your Spring jades! 2019 :)

Q

Comments (79)
    Rob, I knew you would do such a great job. Very very nice there and the colors are nice. Look at the yellow on the edges of your Maruba. Nancy, even now I am still getting burn on a few even though they have been out for weeks. It's the lack of sunny days then hit hard by a hit sunny day doing it....Yours look amazing. I will post a couple I just took too..So good to see your pics again.. Amy, I LOVE that crystal. I am also a collector of rocks and place them in between my plants. Very nice.
    ...See More
  • punky5656
    3 years ago

@katob. Yes, it’s toronto! I looked up the order. But those are a distant memory (and future wish—-I will plant them again). The newest blooms are the parrot tulips. Loving them!! The last two phots are “incredible parrot” and they are HUGE!! Reddish orange with bolts of pink shooting through I am in love

posierosie_zone7a thanked punky5656
  • harold100
    3 years ago

Maylingsmom:

Skip to main content.

What Do Anemone Seeds Look Like?

Anemones, commonly referred to as windflowers, are charming perennial flowers suitable for an herbaceous border, naturalizing in open spaces and for rock gardens. While zones can vary by species, anemones can are hardy in U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 3 through 10. Anemones have no true petals; the showy party of the flower consists of petal-like sepals. You can propagate anemones from seed that vary in appearance; however, most produce numerous seeds in a fluffy or spiky ball.

Identification of Greek Windflower Seeds

Greek windflowers (Anemone blanda) are small flowers 4 to 8 inches in height with deeply divided leaves and star-shaped bright blue flowers. Plants do not produce a seedpod; instead, the seeds are clumped together in a spiky ball. The seeds go from green to brown, and ripe seed resembles woody grains. Seeds are small and if not harvest right away, they often drift away as the wind blows. These plants can self-seed and grow as perennials in USDA zones 6 through 10.

• maylingsmom
    3 years ago

Thanks harold100. They sure look like a pod but maybe it just isn't ripe enough yet. I am going to cut an old stocking & see if I can catch the seed. I suspect they will be too small though.

• harold100
    3 years ago

That's a good idea to use the old stocking. That should catch the seed. It seems like they mean the seeds are connected to little feathery things like a sweet gum tree produces. Something that large should not fall through the stocking. I believe they are saying it is not the real definition of a seed pod because it doesn't stay closed to contain them. When it ripens it splits open so the seeds may drift. Similar to touch me nots, which I grow. They burst open and throw seed 2 feet. Good luck with them.

posierosie_zone7a thanked harold100
  • sandyslopes z5b n. UT
    3 years ago

Daffodil 'Tahiti'

Muscari

My only daffodil 'Chromacolor'

Hyacinth

Not a bulb but pretty buds on the crab apple.

posierosie_zone7a thanked sandyslopes z5b n. UT
  • katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    3 years ago

Punky those tulips are amazing!... and I need to keep my eyes open for a nice crabapple :)

I took a bunch of pictures during the weekend gloom. Tulip season is my favorite, here's 'Pink Impression' along the street.

A couple in the vegetable garden

A few more in the vegetable garden

a nice double which is nearly swamped in weeds, but I don't always mind the weeds.

posierosie_zone7a thanked katob Z6ish, NE Pa
  • katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    3 years ago

The doubles did not handle all the wind and rain well, but fortunately a few strays are taking up the slack. I'm not sure how they got mixed in there...

tulip 'Muvota'.

I like how this one started green and will turn all yellow.

and a few daffodils which I keep saying I'm going to divide.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    3 years ago

spring beauty (claytonia) is a native bulb which will open up in the sun.. if it ever returns.... (the claytonia is at the base of the birch).

and snowy rice cake plant (Arisaema sikokianum), a tuber kind of plant from Japan.

• KarenPA_6b
    3 years ago

Beautiful photos everyone! Love all the flowers of spring. They are so wonderful and bountiful! This year my tulips don't seem as nice nor last as long compared to previous years. The rain and lack of sunshine is really really taking a toll on some of my spring blooming plants.

posierosie_zone7a thanked KarenPA_6b
  • sandyslopes z5b n. UT
    3 years ago

katob, I really like the colors on your tulip 'Muvota'.

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow, great pictures and discussion! Katob, do you find the snowy rice plant hard to establish and does it spread?

I've been going crazy planting the vegetable garden, all the winter sown seedlings and mulching everything in existence. I want to cut down some invasive saplings in the back, but I might be running out of energy!

My next Spring bulb show would be the alliums, but i only have two sad flowers. Casualty of the ridiculous amount of rain last year?

It's up to you all (ya'll in my native tongue) in colder zones to keep it going! I hope you are seeing beautiful blooms?

• KarenPA_6b
    3 years ago

Some late blooming bulbs:

Spring Green and White Triumphantor tulips returning from planting 3 years ago.

Chinatown only 3 bulbs return this year

Camassia leichtlinii Caerulea Due to the rain, this is the best that I have seen these blooms.

I forget what these are but they are very nice.

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Karen, those are such nice pictures. I need to try out those Triumphantor tulips. The green and white are super classy.

My camassia is a double white and each year sends up lots of shoots only to brown and get 1-2 almost whithered spikes. It's on warning this year and then it's going into the woods in the backyard. I wish it looked half as good as yours!

• sandyslopes z5b n. UT
    3 years ago

Karen, isn't it great when tulips return? Those Triumphantors are pretty and look good around your peony.

• KarenPA_6b
    3 years ago

Thanks, Posierosie and Sandy. I too am surprised that Spring Green tulips return this well. As for White Triumphantor, they have dwindled from about 100 bulbs from 5 years ago to about 30 bulbs this year.

Posierosie, you have the rare form of the white camassia! I don't know much about its performance though. I do have the single one and they actually bloom nicer than my blue ones. They bloom a couple weeks later than the blue one. When I planted them, I thought they would bloom at the same time so I planted them side by side. But I was so wrong!

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Karen, I might try the single form. I wanted white to stand out against my fence. I added the double to my cart during a Van Engelen purchase - I believe it was this one. https://www.vanengelen.com/flower-bulbs-index/camassia/camassia-leichtlinii-semiplena.html

Hopefully, my experience is not the same as others.

• biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
    3 years ago

I was away for the weekend and came home to a pretty surprise - my species tulips bloomed while I was away! The regular tulips I have in the same area were real duds so I assumed these little guys would be too, but they finally appeared! These are batalinii little gem. I love the orange with the purple muscari!

posierosie_zone7a thanked biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
  • sandyslopes z5b n. UT
    3 years ago

biondanonima, nice color combo.

My species tulips are brightening up the yard......

Tubergen's Gem

Peppermint Stick

• Dan (zone 5b) WI
    3 years ago

Some of the “mid” season tulips are almost in bloom

^ tulips that a landscaper friend of mine gave me (the company has extras) a couple of years ago- they keep coming up year after year, even if the hosta shades them out by the beginning of summer

^ I read all about tulips last year and for these ones I let the foliage die completely ( until they dried out) and applied fertilizer in fall and now I have two flowers (this was originally only one tulip) - and the flower size is the same as last year!

^same for this one- this one decided to grow more ”sister” bulbs( only one flower,) but the bloom size did not decrease

^love the COLOR

^ love the pansies in bloom, started them from seed and they survived a harsh winter only to give me such a beautiful burst of color

^ my neighbor‘s tulips, I admire these tulips because they come up year after year, They are probably older than me (Im not THAT old..)

posierosie_zone7a thanked Dan (zone 5b) WI
  • sandyslopes z5b n. UT
    3 years ago

My lily flowering tulips have been around for a while. They get a little smaller year to year, but the lily flowering tulips have a place in my heart because I think their form is so elegant.....

Marilyn

Red Shine

Mona Lisa

• sandyslopes z5b n. UT
    3 years ago

The Darwins on the west hill are gone by now, but now blooming on the east hill....

Darwin Tulip 'Pink Impression'

Some random tulips around the yard......

This shows how tulips like our sandy soil. My neighbor tossed a bunch of bulbs over the hillside and they managed to take root.

• posierosie_zone7a thanked rouge21_gw (CDN Z6a)
  • KarenPA_6b
    3 years ago

Wow! Beautiful tulips, everyone! Mine didn't last well this year due to all the rain we got this past month. So glad to see such lovely pics from other areas of the US and Canada. I particularly like the bicolor ones like Tubergen's Gem and Marilyn.

• sandyslopes z5b n. UT
    3 years ago

Bulbs here are still doing their thing....

Here's Marilyn still flowering now with Alliums, which all planted themselves in this area. 'Purple Sensation' are the only alliums I've had spread like this.

A patch of Marilyn in front.

Tulip 'Silver Parrot'

Allium 'Gladiator', a tall variety

• ily68
    3 years ago

So many pretty flowers, I would love to be able to plant them here.

• harold100
    3 years ago

My first Asiatics of the year.

• mazerolm_3a
    3 years ago

Finally!! I have daffodil blooms! :). Here’s Replete:

posierosie_zone7a thanked mazerolm_3a
  • posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Very nice! You had a long wait - I hope you are enjoying the Spring!

• mazerolm_3a
    3 years ago

Thanks Posierosie! I am, hope you are too! I will be posting pics of my tulips and other bulbs as soon as they come up! :)

• maylingsmom
    3 years ago

You know those mixed bags of lilies you can buy at big box stores? These came from one of those bags.

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Maylingsmom, I have a bag planted in a pot next to my front door. Last year was a great bloom so I am doing it again. It's amazing the return you can have with something so inexpensive.

Mazermolm, we are firmly in late Spring with peonies in full bloom. I'm enjoying seeing al the tulips and daffodils here.

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Looks so cheerful! Thank you Rouge!

• harold100
    3 years ago

More Asiatics putting on their show.

• ily68
    3 years ago

So many pretty flowers!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would love to plant them all here in Miami, Fl., zone 10b, but I know most of them, I won't be able to.

posierosie_zone7a thanked ily68
  • harold100
    3 years ago

Eyeliner lily opened Wed.

• mazerolm_3a
    3 years ago

Here’s a few more pics from this morning:

• KarenPA_6b
    3 years ago

Beautiful! It's hard to fathom that you have tulips and daffs blooming in June! Can I ask how long your growing season last? What is the average frost date for your Zone in the fall?

• mazerolm_3a
    3 years ago

Thanks Karen! It’s usually safe to plant annuals the first week of June, and the first frost date is around mid-September! The season is so short, that’s why I plant so many conifers...

• KarenPA_6b
    3 years ago

In spite of your short growing season, you sure make the best use of it. I have seen pics of your garden through the growing season on other threads that you shared and they are spectacular.

• mazerolm_3a
    3 years ago

Thank you so much for your kind words, Karen!

• sandyslopes z5b n. UT
    3 years ago

mazerolm, people tell me I have a short growing season! You must have a love for the garden and flowers to make the effort in z3. It's all looking so good!

This year I've had some "no shows". Maybe because of our record breaking rain? Last fall I planted 50 Muscari, comosum plumosum and 10 Ornithalum that I haven't seen yet. They may still show up, but the clock is ticking!

Still have alliums around the yard....

One patch of white giant alliums.....

Hyacinthoides hispanica

• KarenPA_6b
    3 years ago

My alliums are done a long time ago. Yours are wonderful, Sandy! I love your white ones. Do you know their name?

• sandyslopes z5b n. UT
    3 years ago

Thanks Karen! The white ones are called White Giant ....I should have capitalized the name....... I got them years ago from Van Engelen, and they still have them if you want to get some. These have been very reliable.

• KarenPA_6b
    3 years ago

Thanks, Sandy! I will add them to my order list. The alliums look great in vases too.

• mazerolm_3a
    3 years ago

Here are some pictures from this morning:

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z6a)
    3 years ago

I so love alliums:

posierosie_zone7a thanked rouge21_gw (CDN Z6a)
Sponsored
Jewel Marie Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia