How Scared are the Republicans? Very Very Scared

Swampy

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) on Thursday blocked a resolution calling for special counsel Robert Mueller's report to be made public after it passed the House unanimously. Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) asked for unanimous consent for the nonbinding resolution, which cleared the House 420-0, to be passed by the Senate before they leave town for a weeklong recess.

SaveComment99Like2
Comments (99)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
T.W.

Well, as Mr. Trump's toady, Graham probably didn't have a choice.

6 Likes Save    
mrskjun(9)

I think the Attorney General is the one who makes that decision. I'd like to see it myself. But the important thing would be Mueller's mandate.

1 Like Save    
T.W.

Graham doesn't have a wife, or a "wife".

You must be thinking of McConnell,

Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

How about that vote in the House?

after it passed the House unanimously

4 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

All of this tells me that the russian kompromat, which trump (who has spent his life threatening people) is more than happy to use, goes much further and deeper than we even imagine. I hope mueller and his team are the untouchables. I hope that for barr too...

2 Likes Save    
Swampy

I was T.W. , Thank you!

Save    
leona_2008

I hope Barr is truly a man of integrity.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Me too, leona. I hope what he learns about trump/russia scares him enough that he is willing to change his mind about the mueller probe and indicting a sitting president.

3 Likes Save    
Current Resident(z4 WI)

Question - why did Schumer ask for unanimous consent? Why not let him (LIndsey) be the lone nut, flapping in the breeze?

Save    
margievank

Republicans are not scared

4 Likes Save    
catticusmockingbird

Strange that this old thread was resurrected, but since it was ...

So much for Barr's integrity.

7 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

Yep.

Stop fretting and read the report.

Roseanne Barr has more integrity than Bill Barr.

9 Likes Save    
marquest(PA zone 6)

Ha!!!

Save    
cattyles

I think they are.

Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"Me too, leona. I hope what he learns about trump/russia scares him enough that he is willing to change his mind about the mueller probe and indicting a sitting president."

Does Barr look scared? Nope.

Trump/Russia was only "scary" to establishment politicians and the voters who trusted them. Now that they can't keep beating their "collusion/conspiracy" drum, they've moved on to "obstruction."

Unfortunately for the left, the "genesis" of their ridiculous Russia narrative is going to be investigated by a very experienced AG.

He isn't going to recuse himself, nor resign on the advice of Democrats.

If anyone has reason to be "scared" now, it's the people who underestimated the intelligence of middle America and the persistence of Donald Trump.

3 Likes Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

I'd like to see it myself

Admittedly I have not been in HT much today, but I have yet to see a single trump supporter in HT that has mentioned they have read the actual Mueller report (unredacted parts).

4 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

Nope they haven't read it. It is getting really pathetic.

Speaking of Barr...Twitter has dubbed him sober Bannon.

15 Likes Save    
pippabean.

hounds:

"Unfortunately for the left, the "genesis" of their ridiculous Russia narrative is going to be investigated by a very experienced AG."

Yeah, Barr is "experienced" alright. His experience is in cover-ups:

Barr’s effort to discredit the Mueller investigation in the last couple of months, should have brought to mind the not-so-distant history of his first stint as Attorney General, under George H. W. Bush. In 1992, just as Bush was leaving office, he issued, with Barr’s support, pardons for six Reagan Administration officials—including the former Defense Secretary Caspar W. Weinberger—who had been either charged for or were convicted of crimes connected with covering up the Iran-Contra affair and its violations of the U.S. Constitution. Weinberger’s pardon came before his case went to trial, and it was commonly believed that it was itself part of another coverup, to prevent the presentation of evidence that would have indicated Bush’s personal involvement in Iran-Contra, when he was Reagan’s Vice-President. Thanks to the pardons, the whole truth was never known.

Investigations into the scandal were still being conducted by the independent counsel Lawrence Walsh, who was, interestingly, like Robert Mueller, a consummately professional Republican who believed in the rule of law. Bush dismissed Walsh’s probe as “the criminalization of policy differences,” and the pardons effectively killed it. Walsh reacted with tempered bitterness, divulging in a public statement that Bush was, in fact, a subject of his investigation, and that the materials connected with the Weinberger case included “evidence of a conspiracy among the highest-ranking Reagan Administration officials to lie to Congress and the American public.” The episode was a textbook lesson on how to short-circuit an independent counsel’s investigation and suppress damning evidence that investigators had uncovered—and William Barr was in the middle of it.

2 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"Yeah, Barr is "experienced" alright. His experience is in cover-ups:"

Alas, the time to bring up those concerns is when a nominee is before the Senate. What objections did they raise at the time? How about the MSM? Where were you? Why didn't you warn us in January?

Save    
dandyfopp

I guess we have reached the point where amnesia sets in.

8 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

adoptedbyhounds:

Unfortunately for the left, the "genesis" of their ridiculous Russia narrative is going to be investigated by a very experienced AG.

He isn't going to recuse himself, nor resign on the advice of Democrats.

If anyone has reason to be "scared" now, it's the people who underestimated the intelligence of middle America and the persistence of Donald Trump

Yes, yes, and yes!

6 Likes Save    
cattyles

We shall see.

Save    
margievank

We shall

1 Like Save    
catticusmockingbird

8 Likes Save    
cait1

@ gyr

I have yet to see a single trump supporter in HT that has mentioned they have read the actual Mueller report (unredacted parts).

I started reading it the moment it was released. I was reading more of it a couple of hours ago.

How much have you and your counterparts read or are you waiting for CNN NPCs to disseminate it for you?

2 Likes Save    
cait1

@ catticus

What adjective did Biden use to highlight that 'big _____ deal'?

Obama Went Off-The-Record to Curse at Press for Covering Scandals and Not Understanding Him

"Former ABC White House correspondent Ann Compton said that President
Obama went on a "profanity-laced" off-the-record rant to members of the
press for "making too much" of scandals and "not understanding" his
limits in determining U.S. foreign policy.

"I have seen Barack Obama really angry
twice," Compton said in an interview with C-SPAN's Brian Lamb. "Both
were off-the-record times. One was profanity-laced, where he thought the
press was making too much of scandals that he didn't think were
scandals."

https://freebeacon.com/politics/obama-went-off-the-record-to-curse-at-press-for-covering-scandals-and-not-understanding-him/

Michelle Obama Curses At ‘Becoming ‘ Event & Fans Are Loving It

"... During her promotional book tour, the former FLOTUS
dropped a four letter curse word that had attendees and the
Twittersphere flipping out. “That’s a lie. And it’s not always enough to
lean in, because that s*** doesn’t work all the time,” she said, when
speaking of marriage inequality. Preach!"

https://hollywoodlife.com/2018/12/02/michelle-obama-curses-nyc-event-fans-react/

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

3 Likes Save    
margievank

I have not read any of the Mueller report. What good would it do? Each side has read what they want into things from what is commented back and forth. I see no minds changing. The left turns a blind eye to Obama and he WAS the president at the time of all this Russia election interference. They have no problem with him, and I have no problem with Trump. Check!

1 Like Save    
margievank

"I have seen Barack Obama really angry

Well, he sat in Rev. Wrights congregation for a looooong time and listened to the damning of America. He is sure to be an angry man.

1 Like Save    
margievank

LOL- looks like we drained the Swampy lol lol

1 Like Save    
pippabean.

Gotta love the cultists. Always blaming others for their own ignorance.

hounds:

"Alas, the time to bring up those concerns is when a nominee is before the Senate. What objections did they raise at the time? How about the MSM? Where were you? Why didn't you warn us in January?"

You mean, the way you all should have been warned about trump before the elections? That way? Cause you listened and learned then? And you still haven't heard a single bad enough fact about trump? Which is why you still defend the sick narcissistic psychopath and serial liar?

Cause if you had been warned about Barr you would have listened? Cared? Yeah right.

You seem to be able to read. It's not mine or anyone else's job to aggregate the news for you. Turn off Faux News and rw hate radio for a while and you might actually find real news.

Sheesh!

6 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I have not read any of the Mueller report.

margie, at least read the executive summaries for vol 1 and vol 2 of the report. They are very enlightening. It matters not what the neighbors say or do..it only mattes that you know the truth about your guy.

1 Like Save    
margievank

What would I be reading. A summary of Mueller. You know the guy that made a road map for Congress. I think he is another Comey.

2 Likes Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

How much have you and your counterparts read or are you waiting for CNN NPCs to disseminate it for you?

Who are you referring to when you say "my counterparts", and how could I possibly know how much they have read?

I have read multiple good-sized hunks, but I have multiple start points, for various sections, so I don't have a readily-available total page number. FYI: CNN and NPC are not among my go-to news sources, and I cannot even recall the last time I have visited them, with the exception of perhaps a link from something posted on HT or a referral from another site.

1 Like Save    
Ichau

margievank

"What would I be reading. A summary of Mueller. You know the guy that made a road map for Congress. I think he is another Comey."

The view from underneath the sand: everybody looks like Comey, LOL!

2 Likes Save    
numbersjunkie

"The left turns a blind eye to Obama and he WAS the president at the time of all this Russia election interference."

Here's a suggestion. How about we join forces, stop the partisan bickering and blame Russia? They were the ones who committed the crime. The primary goal of the investigation was to determine the nature and extent of Russian interference.

The investigation found the interference was significant.

Unfortunately, Trump hired a lot of people with close ties to Russia. And a lot of things didn't quite seem quite right during the campaign. Like why would Manafort, who had known significant ties to Russia offer to work for free? Why was Trump so enamored of Putin? If our national security experts didn't start looking into possible relationships with Russia, they would have been incompetent.

The fact that Trump tried to shut down the investigation made him look guilty as hell. He was his own worst enemy. He may not have guilty of collusion, but his behavior in trying to shut down the investigation into Russia's interference was not in the best interest of the American people. He lies to the American people about anything and everything. And he continuously shows a total lack of respect for the rule if law.

It shouldn't matter if you agree with his policies or not. He did not uphold the oath of office, and doesn't deserve to be there.

3 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

"The left turns a blind eye to Obama ...

If you really think this then you missed many comments from those here you'd likely label 'left'.

"... and he WAS the president at the time of all this Russia election interference."

Don't we need to see Sessions investigation first to see what did occur? Or do you not trust Sessions either?

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

LOL, cait1 (I no longer ROFLOL)

Catticus's paste was about Trump swearing via print (Twitter). Can't past it here as it does violate what Emily said. All you provided was not the public writing.

This article provides it along with some observation on Republicans and swearing.

Oops, can't insert link as it has a swear. Gonna see if I can find another. (Point is, his own writing can't be shared here.)

###

Found one

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/world-news/donald-trump-swears-angry-twitter-16154955

What else is weird - he never finished his thought.

Save    
catkinZ8a

Welcome 'lchau'!

Save    
cait1

@ Ziemia

Catticus's paste was about Trump swearing via print

And there are youtubes you can watch where ya can hear them swearing.

To borrow a phrase from Hillary, what difference does it make?

PS: I just ROFL. The extra OL takes too much time to add. : )

1 Like Save    
catkinZ8a

God bless patriot Admiral Mike Rogers!

Save    
heri _ cles

Mvank: Here is a website that highlights some of the evidence regarding Obstruction:

The Mueller Report Is Clear: Donald Trump Repeatedly Tried to Obstruct Justice

2 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Written Word

Save    
lily12

"Intelligence of middle America" HA!!! The stupidity and cluelessness is more appropriate. After all, tRump loves the poorly educated and he has them in droves. And that's ALL he has.

Save    
margievank

OK heri- I read your New Yorker opinion piece. The take away was "tried" in Muellers opinion. Trump was mad. Of course Trump wanted that lie to go away. Of course, he felt it could hurt his presidency. Look how many people believed it. He said things out of frustration that were NOT carried out by him or anyone around him.

I got in a dispute with my neighbor, I told my husband I we should put up a HIGH curtain wall between us., to make a point. I swore and grumbled, ranted and raved. My husband did not put up the poles for me to hang the HIGH curtain. I TRIED, but did not succeed. When you are angry and think you have been wronged you say things that are over the top.

In this case my neighbor and I did not speak for almost 2 years. My husband spoke to them which did not bode well. Then after 2 years they came over one day when they needed a favor to transport their daughter to and from school for 3 weeks. Guess what? I did it for nothing. I let it go. Do I still mumble about the disagreement YES.

Trump is HUMAN, even though the left do not believe it so.

Save    
ubro(2a)

When you are angry and think you have been wronged you say things that are over the top.

And he gets another mulligan, how many is that?

Saying things that are not just simply inappropriate but over the top when you are angry is something we all do, but he is the POTUS he has to walk the line of restraint wether he likes it or not. He cannot say what he wishes, when he wishes, and rightly so. He is not just another HUMAN being, he has many lives in his hands so needs to be held to a higher standard.

4 Likes Save    
margievank

So Margie in your eyes, Trump is as pure as the driven snow. Is that correct?

LOL- nope, far from it;)

Save    
margievank

ubro- I believe he has walked the line of restraint in sooooo many ways.

Save    
margievank

Big Whoop!

Save    
ubro(2a)

ubro- I believe he has walked the line of restraint in sooooo many ways.

Yup he was very restrained in the Khashoggii case, good for him (sarc). Other than that, you must be listening and reading tweets from someone other than the Trump I listen to.

4 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Trump supporters are trolling all Americans who care deeply for the values the founders fought for and established.

They love that the president is now using profanities as he addresses the nation and the world.

Save    
margaux

You won't read it but Mitt Romney did.

"I am sickened at the extent and pervasiveness of dishonesty and
misdirection by individuals in the highest office of the land, including
the President. I am also appalled that, among other things, fellow citizens working in a campaign for president welcomed help from Russia — including information that had been illegally obtained; that none of them acted to inform American law enforcement; and that the campaign chairman was actively promoting Russian interests in Ukraine."

7 Likes Save    
HU9999

I have not read any of the Mueller report. What good would it do?

Oh, I don't...maybe FACTS. The TRUTH.

What are you afraid of?

6 Likes Save    
HU9999

I think he is another Comey.

Ah, so you do know the report does not exonerate Trump! Just too funny.

---

I got in a dispute with my neighbor, I told my husband I we should put up a HIGH curtain wall between us., to make a point. I swore and grumbled, ranted and raved.

You think this behavior is OK? And you think it's ok for the POTUS to act this way too? You don't think the POTUS should be held to a higher standard and not lose his cool? You do know he deals with situations a lot more dangerous to ALL OF US than a dispute with your neighbor, right?

5 Likes Save    
cattyles

6 Likes Save    
pippabean.

Margie

The Russian government interfered in the 2016 presidential election in sweeping and systematic fashion. The trump campaign welcomed this interference with open arms, eagerly meeting with Russians and willingly benefitting from Putin's interference. Yet, that was not enough for trump, who (as is his want) took it even further by addressing Putin directly during a television broadcast to release hacked/stolen emails from his opponent.

Anybody with a pea brain would have foreseen that if elected to the presidency, this type of behavior would lead to an investigation.

So then, according to you, "lies" were told about trump, and an "illegal" investigation was started, And poor trumpsy felt "wronged" and got mad, which is your excuse for why the PRESIDENT of the United States REPEATEDLY ordered his lawyer and other staff to lie to the FBI.

So having explained this to the rest of us, you appeal to us to see trump's "HUMANITY"?

Well cry me a river.

Cause that's where we're at: We should all feel sorry for trump and forgive him everything, because trump is "human" too.

One just can't make any of this up...

12 Likes Save    
heri _ cles

It is time to become resolute about holding Trump accountable. Let Republicans whine all they want while House Democrats plan for Impeachment hearings.

The House will bring the pages of the Mueller report to life with televised Hearings. That way the evidence will be seen , even by the incurious and the illiterate.

5 Likes Save    
redsox_gw

Big Whoop!

If that is fitting to your idea of the articulation of the highest office in the country, well, it isn't mine. He is probably the most vulgar of humans alive and if that is your standard, it is sad.

I tell my children to look down on this loser, not up. Even others who were adulterers like HW Bush and Clinton had redeemable qualities. Trump has nary a one. Dumb, crass, uninformed, lazy, bigoted. That is who you admire.

8 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"And you think it's ok for the POTUS to act this way too?"

It was Obama's intelligence agencies who conspired to defeat Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump before the election was held.

It's Mr. Barr's duty to thoroughly investigate and prosecute individuals who participated in the failed coup attempt. It was a full blown attempt by political operatives to rig an election. The American people were never supposed to know that corrupt government insiders had chosen their president for them.

"Intelligence of middle America" HA!!! The stupidity and cluelessness is more appropriate. After all, tRump loves the poorly educated and he has them in droves. And that's ALL he has."

Do keep talking! Trump and his supporters do not share your contempt for middle America, nor for our country. They actually think Americans and their interests are worth protecting. Carry on.

1 Like Save    
HU9999

Since some here only seem to understand pictures and memes, here's one that might hit home -

7 Likes Save    
lurker111

PTSD. Yellow journalism is a form of psychological warfare and the left has been hit with one "bombshell" after another for the last 3 years. It will take some time for reality to sink in.

Save    
heri _ cles

Do keep talking! Trump and his supporters do not share your contempt for
middle America, nor for our country. They actually think Americans and
their interests are worth protecting. Carry on

Trump and his supporters are in for a rude awakening.

1 Like Save    
mrskjun(9)

We already have been heri. If someone had told me three years ago that we had a media that would set out to destroy someone who was not their choice, I wouldn't have believed it. I wouldn't have believed that the Obama administration would have targeted a presidential candidate. I wouldn't have believed that the Obama administration would have allowed Russia to interfere in our elections only to use that interference to target a president. It has been a rude awakening for sure. Just waiting for when the rest of the country will wake up.

5 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

We already have been heri. If someone had told me three years ago that we had a media that would set out to destroy someone who was not their choice,

Hmmm? Destroy Trump because he was not their choice? How about holding him accountable for all the horrid things he says and does, from where I am standing Trump is destroying himself.

6 Likes Save    
numbersjunkie

mrskjun, you shouldn't have believed it. You were scammed.

5 Likes Save    
chase_gw

"I wouldn't have believed that the Obama administration would have
allowed Russia to interfere in our elections only to use that
interference to target a president."

Another poster said this wasn't the mantra from FOX. I'm having a hard time believing that given every single Trump supporter is repeating the exact same thing and has been since Thursday.

ETA: A statement for which there is no actual proof.......as a matter of fact it's absurd. Russia did interfere and they did so with the intention of benefiting Trump, His campaign knew that and welcomed it....a fact that Trump supporters need to trample down because it is so unpatriotic.

9 Likes Save    
redsox_gw

Look, they also say Hillary worked with Russia...to lose the election? Intellectually dishonest and intellectually lacking.

5 Likes Save    
Carro

mrskjun, the Leftists will never admit Obama gave cover to Russia and allowed Russia to attack our election in 2016. They will never hold Hillary accountable for colluding with the Kremlin.

1 Like Save    
cattyles

We will never admit it because you’re wrong.

7 Likes Save    
catticusmockingbird

They're too far gone. Let it go.

9 Likes Save    
redsox_gw

Hillary colluded to lose. Makes complete sense to those pleading insanity.

4 Likes Save    
Current Resident(z4 WI)

WHY are we talking about 2016 - ancient history.

WHAT IS BEING DONE to stop foreign interference in 2020 ??? Which btw is already ramping up. WHY aren't we talking about what is IN the report, instead of what ISNT?

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/mueller-report-exposed-russian-interference-roadmap-us-ready/story?id=62508323

4 Likes Save    
pippabean.

trumpsters might want to occasionally raise their heads out of that fox hole where they've buried them and join the real world, read serious newspapers and actually learn something and stop making up all the nonsense that has been posted above.

Here, The New York Times article from Oct. 7th 2016:

U.S. Says Russia Directed Hacks to Influence Elections

By David E. Sanger and Charlie Savage

Oct. 7, 2016

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration on Friday formally accused the Russian government of stealing and disclosing emails from the Democratic National Committee and a range of other institutions and prominent individuals, immediately raising the issue of whether President Obama would seek sanctions or other retaliation.

In a statement from the director of national intelligence, James R. Clapper Jr., and the Department of Homeland Security, the government said the leaked emails that have appeared on a variety of websites “are intended to interfere with the U.S. election process.”

The emails were posted on the well-known WikiLeaks site and two newer sites, DCLeaks.com and Guccifer 2.0, identified as being associated with Russian intelligence.

“We believe, based on the scope and sensitivity of these efforts, that only Russia’s senior-most officials could have authorized these activities,” the statement said.

It did not name President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia, but that appeared to be the intention.

The statement from Mr. Clapper and the Department of Homeland Security, which is primarily responsible for defending the country against sophisticated cyberattacks, said the intelligence agencies were less certain who was responsible for “scanning and probing” online election rolls in states around the country. It said that those “in most cases originated from servers operated by a Russian company,” but stopped short of alleging the Russian government was responsible for those probes.

The announcement came only hours after Secretary of State John Kerry called for the Russian and Syrian governments to face a formal war-crimes investigation over attacks on civilians in Aleppo and other parts of Syria. Taken together, the developments mark a sharp escalation of Washington’s many confrontations with Moscow this year.

For weeks, aides to Mr. Obama have been debating whether to openly attribute the cyberattacks to Russia, and as recently as Wednesday the director of the National Security Agency, Adm. Michael Rogers, refused to publicly accuse Moscow.

But with little more than a month to go before the presidential election, one senior administration official said that Mr. Obama was “under pressure to act now,” in part because a declaration closer to Election Day would appear to be political. Two days ahead of the second presidential debate, the announcement also puts the Republican nominee, Donald J. Trump, more on the defensive over his assertion last month that Mr. Putin is a better leader than Mr. Obama.

In the first debate, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Mr. Trump’s Democratic rival, blamed Russia for the cyberattacks on the Democratic National Committee, but Mr. Trump said there was no evidence that Russia was responsible; he suggested it could have been the Chinese or “somebody sitting on their bed that weighs 400 pounds.”

Soon after the administration accused the Russians of hacking into the committee, WikiLeaks published hacked emails from John D. Podesta, the Clinton campaign chairman.

In a Twitter message Friday evening, Mr. Podesta said that “I’m not happy about being hacked by the Russians in their attempt to throw the election to Donald Trump.’’

WikiLeaks has released troves of hacked Democratic emails, but has not revealed their source.

A major question is how Mr. Obama might respond without setting off an escalating cyberspace conflict with Russia between now and Nov. 8. One possibility is that the announcement itself — an effort to “name and shame” — will deter further action.

But Mr. Obama’s aides have assembled a range of possible responses, from using economic sanctions to covert action against Russian targets, potentially including the computers used in the hack.

The official accusation against Russia comes after anonymous American intelligence officials told The New York Times in July that they had “high confidence” that the Russian government was behind the hack of the D.N.C., which led to the resignation of Representative Debbie Wasserman Schultz, the Florida Democrat, as committee chairwoman, amid evidence that the committee was favoring Mrs. Clinton over her competitor for the party nomination, Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont.

The months of subsequent silence frustrated some in Congress, and several weeks ago the top Democrats on the House and Senate intelligence committees, Adam Schiff and Dianne Feinstein, both of California, said Russia and its leaders were responsible, citing classified briefings.

Mr. Schiff, who had urged the Obama administration to name Russia and better prepare American voters for the possibility of interference between now and the election, on Friday praised the decision “to call out Russia on its malevolent interference in our political affairs.”

“I hope this will establish a deterrent to further meddling,” he said. “I don’t think the Russians have decided yet how much they plan to continue their interference, so I think this attribution is very timely. We’re also encouraging the administration to work with our European partners, who have been the subject of even worse meddling, to coordinate a response to this.”

Mr. Schiff said he was afraid Russian hackers might attempt to delete or manipulate voter rolls, causing long lines at the polls and delays in counting votes because people would be forced to cast provisional ballots. (Voting machines themselves are not linked to the internet, so it is effectively impossible to hack them in a systematic way and change the outcome, specialists say.)

The emails were posted on the well-known WikiLeaks site and two newer sites, DCLeaks.com and Guccifer 2.0, identified as being associated with Russian intelligence.

“We believe, based on the scope and sensitivity of these efforts, that only Russia’s senior-most officials could have authorized these activities,” the statement said.

But as “profound” as that concern is, Mr. Schiff said, he and others see as “the most grave risk” something else: Russia could take emails it has already stolen, manipulate them to create a false impression that a candidate has done something outrageous or illegal, and cause them to be published online shortly before the election.

That, he said, “could have an election-altering effect.”

Federal officials are trying to help states plug holes in their internet defenses for election management systems. One thing they will not do before the election is pronounce such systems “critical infrastructure,” as the secretary of Homeland Security, Jeh Johnson, proposed in August.

Mr. Johnson’s notion provoked a backlash from conservatives. Republicans like Brian P. Kemp, the secretary of state in Georgia, and Jon A. Husted, his counterpart in Ohio, accused the Obama administration of overreaching, saying it was trying to carry out a federal takeover.

Administration officials said that the idea of declaring elections systems critical infrastructure is dead for now, lest it discourage states from working with the federal government.

“Our focus right now, in the remaining days before Nov. 8, is to encourage states to come forward and request our assistance,” Mr. Johnson said in a recent interview.

The department has offered states two kinds of help, both for free: a remote cyber “hygiene” scan of their servers by department officials who look for known vulnerabilities and can recommend patches, and a more intensive on-site analysis by a team of computer security specialists.

The department’s emphasis on voluntary measures has met with mixed success: So far, 28 states have accepted that offer, the department said, but it declined to name them. Officials with election agencies in the large swing states of Ohio, North Carolina, and Pennsylvania said they were participating. (Pennsylvania is particularly important because its electronic voting machines lack a paper audit trail for recounts.)

Florida, another large swing state, is not participating in this program, but officials in the office of its secretary of state said they had already been working with federal partners.

Still, while the number of participants has been slowly creeping up, the window is closing. A Homeland Security official said it takes about a week to complete the necessary paperwork to permit the department to begin the work, and that the more intensive on-site effort takes about two weeks.

That suggests that soon after the middle of October, it will be too late to provide any help to late takers.

The fact that 22 states are not as yet participating does not necessarily mean all of them are vulnerable in ways that participants are not. Kay Stimson, a spokeswoman for the National Association of Secretaries of State, noted that some states had already been taking cybersecurity measures that are likely equivalent to what the department is offering.

Save    
Carro

Wow, seems some are laboring under the misapprehension that outcomes were guaranteed. Hillary sucked. She sucked as a candidate. She looked lackluster and downright lazy compared to Trump.

Trump out campaigned Hillary by a mile.

Hillary either didn't want it enough, or thought she had it coming to her. Either way, she ran a terrible campaign, even though she controlled the entire DNC and paid the Kremlin to get phone dirt on Trump.

1 Like Save    
margievank

Alternate universe.

Many of you have a lot more patience that I do.

obviously with a comeback. Self Control is a good thing

Save    
heri _ cles

Why is Trump worth all this intellectual dishonesty and the repetition of lies and half-truths in his service ?

I am beginning to understand how a crazed Adolph Hitler mesmerized masses of Germans who became willing executioners for 6 Million Jews and killed thousands in WW II. You say that is an extreme example ? Well of course it is, but you tell me where the line in the sand is for you to stop with the Trump fanaticism. If the line is where you begin to sound ridiculous and are losing credibility, I believe you are quickly approaching that.

9 Likes Save    
heri _ cles

Trump has^^^^^ that ^^^^^down to a science

9 Likes Save    
numbersjunkie
carro, that's Trump's playbook!
5 Likes Save    
cattyles

Don't be baited. It's not worth it.

7 Likes Save    
marquest(PA zone 6)

cattyles

Don't be baited. It's not worth it.

----------

Yep I refuse to believe they do not know. No need to follow bait.

2 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"Why is Trump worth all this intellectual dishonesty and the repetition of lies and half-truths in his service ?"

Unfortunately for the establishment Uni Party, the "conspiracy" investigation continues, but it is no longer about Donald Trump and "Russia."

It's about the rot inside our own institutions. Its about the government insiders who got caught trying to rig the 2016 presidential election for Democrats.

AG Barr is determined to uncover the who, what, when, where, why and and how of Russia Hoax. It was garbage, fed to us by willing politicians and a willing press. Barr investigators are going to be asking the questions the fawning media didn't ask.

Powerful government insiders participated in efforts keep non-globalist, pro-American candidate Donald Trump from getting anywhere near the White House.

They lied to the FISA Court. They presented a preposterous story about Russian "spies" and Trump "colluding with Russians."

In an extraordinary show of contempt, they spent months and then years relentlessly insulting Donald Trump and the tens of millions of Americans who supported him. The MSM was either stupid enough to actually believe the nonsense it reported, or it believed Americans can't recognize propaganda when they see it.

A lesser man than Donald Trump would have run away, allowing self-serving politicians and bureaucrats to run him out of office.

But the scoundrels underestimated him. THEY would have caved. But Donald Trump isn't like them. And now our country is going to benefit from learning what government insiders had in mind for America's future. Government of, by and for the American people was NOT part of the plan. Our voices were to be replaced first by masses of new arrivals, and then by unaccountable bureaucrats from around the world, eager to erase the sovereignty of our nation.

Save    
cattyles

Oh ABH. Your eggs are in a very wrong basket.

6 Likes Save    
annie

"A lesser man than Donald Trump would have run away, allowing self-serving politicians and bureaucrats to run him out of office."

I doubt there is a lesser man than donald trump.

You are scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to Trump.

Those that support him have very low standards.

7 Likes Save    
lily12

There isn't a lesser man, nor a more vile corrupt one, but then that says it all about the cult who worship the ground he walks on.

4 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

From a recent - and relevant - episode of This American Life [emphasis added by me]:

"Of course, it's no surprise that the president has spun the Mueller report into a conspiracy theory of his own, because he's peddled lots of conspiracy theories, from the idea that George Soros is funding the caravans, all the way back to birtherism. Joe Uscinski, a professor at the University of Miami who studies conspiracy theories and the people who believe them, says, this is actually an unusual thing about today.

It used to be people with no power in this country who were the ones pushing conspiracy theories. Now it's the President of the United States doing it all the time. Uscinski says that from the start, it seems like Donald Trump identified conspiracy-minded voters as a possible constituency."

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/671/anything-can-be-anything

4 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"Oh ABH. Your eggs are in a very wrong basket."

I don't think so, cattyles, but thank you for your concern. We can agree to disagree.

1 Like Save    
don_socal

About Gene Wilder.

Gene Wilder Political views Wikipedia

In 2007, Wilder stated, "I'm quietly political. I don't like advertising. Giving money to someone or support, but not getting on a bandstand. I don't want to run for president in 2008. I will write another book instead."[56] Wilder donated to Barack Obama's 2008 presidential campaign.[57]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Wilder#Political_views

How beloved actor Gene Wilder became an internet meme

https://mashable.com/2016/08/29/gene-wilder-meme/

3 Likes Save    
HU9999

Yeah, no one said that, so much for your intellect and honesty.

But I'm glad you can finally admit that Hillary colluded with Russia, through an agent she paid for.

Yeah, except she didn't say or admit anything like that. So much for your intellect and honesty.

1 Like Save    
Carro

Yeah, except she didn't say or admit anything like that. So much for your intellect and honesty.

Oh, you must have missed the butt-kissing interview Hillary did with Colbert after Buzzfeed outed her. But, for your edification and not that you would or might embarrass yourself in the future by making such an uninformed assertion, here goes!

Hillary paid for Russian dirt on Trump. That unverified dirt was used to secure a FISA warrant to spy on Trump's campaign.

Hillary used several cutouts because while she absolutely sucked as a candidate, she's extremely good at making political maneuvers. Like her husband.

The cutouts were an attorney she hired, Perkins Coie, Fusion GPS and Christopher Steele.

See? Easy!

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Again with the multiple-times disproven claim:

The following *Is*Not*True*

"That unverified dirt was used to secure a FISA warrant to spy on Trump's campaign."

3 Likes Save    
HU9999

Interesting that your post that I copied/pasted is now gone. Did you remove it so that you could post the above which of course has nothing to do with your post? Your post that I responded to.

A little recap. Someone posted something, to which you replied -

Yeah, no one said that, so much for your intellect and honesty.

And then when on to say something about that poster admitting something. Something they never admitted. Not even a little. Right after chastising someone for doing what you just did!

Funny that your post just disappeared in the 30 min or so since my post, huh?

So, in conclusion, your most recent post above is not relevant to the conversation that was happening. Oh, and it contains untruths. See? Easy!

1 Like Save    
Carro

ziemia, the dossier was indeed used for the FISA warrant. This isn't even in dispute.

The towering ex-FBI boss confessed that the FBI had not corroborated much of the Steele dossier before it was submitted as evidence to a secret court to support a Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) warrant to spy on Trump campaign adviser Carter Page in the final weeks of the election.

And Comey admitted much of the dossier remained uncorroborated more than six months later when he was fired by President Trump.

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/420408-comeys-confession-dossier-not-verified-before-or-after-fisa-warrant

1 Like Save    
chase_gw

There was much more than the dossier used and it is my understanding that the parts of the dossier that were used were coroborated.

1 Like Save    
HU9999

That is an opinion piece. Not sure how you missed that.

Also, I find it quite hysterical that the ones that scream the loudest about unnamed sources accept unnamed sources when it fits their agenda.

Next.

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

Republicans for Impeachment. Graham was for it before he was against it

https://twitter.com/billkristol/status/1120463192218656768?s=21

1 Like Save    
dandyfopp

Save    
Kathy

It was okay for Clinton, but Trump gets a pass.

Save    
dandyfopp

Ah but now the GOP has a king and the rule of law is trash.

Lindseys challenger is going to have a field day with those clips.

Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Foreign intelligence services were passing information to the US about the unprecedented number of contacts between Team Trump and Russia. There was more than the Steele memos for the FISA request.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Before and Afters Modern Storage and Sunshine Scare Away the Monster in a Kansas Kitchen
New windows and all-white cabinetry lighten a kitchen that was once dominated by an oversize range hood and inefficient cabinets
Full Story
Halloween Survey Says: We’re Scared of Being Home Alone — and Spiders
A new Houzz survey reveals that most of us get spooked in an empty house. Find out what’s causing the heebie-jeebies
Full Story
Houzz Tours Houzz Tour: Sturdy Enough for a Tsunami
Storms don't scare this Washington state home; breakaway features and waterproof finishes let it weather high winds and waves
Full Story