What do you cook when you're bored?

plllog

I have an icky cold. I'm not cooking anything. Yesterday was onion soup from the freezer. Today may be egg drop soup and other nice, inauthentic spicy Chinese delivery. I can't even think of something to cook even if I felt like standing up and cooking, though if I could magic the ingredients into my pot, I'd make the cabbage soup with the bones that makes its own stock because it would be so nice to eat. It's not just the cold. I make soup when I'm bored. I rarely follow recipes. Usually, I just put whatever I have in it and add spices and herbs to make it all make sense.

What do you make when you're bored?

SaveComment17Like1
Comments (17)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amylou321

Something fiddley. Like bread. Any kind of baking is fiddley to me. Because you have to fiddle with recipes. So it occupies my brain.

Or something novel. Like homemade bbq potato chips. Or, the other day I made some raisin bran mini muffins that they serve at a local fancy pants restaurant. SO likes the muffins just not anything else from there. And they give the recipe away. The only trouble is, it makes a HUGE vat of batter. It lasts up to 6 weeks in the fridge, but still, no way we will eat even close to all of it, so its a big waste.

For a meal, something familiar and comforting. But again something fiddely, to give me something to do. Homemade pizza comes to mind. Or my "chest pain chicken" which has lots of steps,even though it's a simple recipe.

Save    
Kathleen Squires

Popcorn. Because I love it! After I make it (real popcorn, not nasty microwave popcorn) I eat it. It makes me happy- not bored anymore.

Save    
dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

When I get bored, I don't cook. I go watch paint dry. So exciting!

dcarch :-)

1 Like Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Seldom bored but when feeling off it is always miso soup. I keep three naturally fermented at all times. Just needs hot kettle water, fresh ginger, garlic. Green onion. Lime, cilantro.

Just made a nice one tonight but a bit fancier feeling perky.

Always an easy broth or soup/chili in the freezer.

Save    
nancyjane_gardener

I'm a soup nazi. But I would love to be able to make a good crusty WW loaf of bread to go with those soups! I haven't had much luck so far, and hubby is afraid to try, cause if he succeeds I'll be pissed off! I say, let's do it together, then I won't get mad at him!

Actually, I'm a bit tired of cooking, but we don't eat out often, so I try to cook extra and freeze so that at least once a week I can pull from the freezer, make a salad and call it done.

Save    
John Liu

There's different kinds of "bored".

You can be bored like when you have nothing to do and none of your books or friends are interesting but you want something to do so you go all mad scientist and try something like freezing a raw egg then peeling it and deep frying the still-frozen egg then coating in panko and deep-frying again.

You can be bored like when you've been sick and housebound for so long that you can't stand laying around anymore but aren't well enough to go out or fuss with peeling frozen eggs so that's when the comfort soups and crusty breads come into their own.

You can be bored like when we were kids and kids were to be seen and not heard but even better was to be neither seen nor heard and summer days were long lonely hours of kicking cans in vacant lots and laying slack jawed in front of the TV so that's when the TV dinners get zapped and eaten on the couch where you'll eventually fall asleep to the flickering Late Show in black and white.

I miss being bored. It seems like lately I don't get to enjoy being bored very often.

5 Likes Save    
bragu_DSM 5

chili ... dump in crock pot and turn on low. then take a nice long nap.

Save    
Islay Corbel

Elaborate cake like a proper frasier with all the correct creams then you get such a thrill eating it!

Save    
Elizabeth

Ravioli. I am bored with cooking and with winter. Today I will cook a meat and spinach filling, roll my own pasta and then fill and cut them. I will make about 12 dozen as they freeze well. I have a marinara sauce in the freezer to go with it. I have good movie to watch on the kitchen TV while I work.

Save    
ritaweeda

Cooking is the last thing I want to do when I'm sick, not particularly because I feel bad but for sanitary reasons. (I won't elaborate). But when it's not nice outside and I'm tired of my other inside interests I guess my one go-to for something to do is bread making. And I'm talking the old-fashioned hand-kneading kind of bread making. To me it's a Zen thing, very relaxing. But making ravioli is something that sounds like a good thing just for something to do, I've never tried it. Fancy cake or pastry making is too fiddly for me, not very relaxing.

Save    
Elizabeth

I am not much of a baker but I do enjoy fancy cake. I never cook when sick. I lose interest in food when I am sick and survive on tea and toast. I think it is unwise to let sick people handle food especially for other household members.

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

If I am bored with cooking, I'll make breakfast. I can eat a typical breakfast for any meal of the day and it is fast and easy. Or a grilled cheese sandwich. Baking or making something elaborate or complicated is not something I'd consider doing if bored with cooking :-) And I am seldom ever bored otherwise. I am also seldom ever ill - just the infrequent cold - but making breakfast works well then too. Or heating up some soup.......too much bother when not feeling well to make it fresh!

Save    
Islay Corbel

Ooooo yes. Ravioli!

Save    
catticusmockingbird

When I'm bored with cooking I tell dh to fend for himself.

Kathleen Squires, there was a time in the early 70s I practically lived on popcorn and boiled cabbage. Cheap and filling when you're living paycheck to paycheck.

Save    
seagrass_gw

catticusmockingbird - there was a time in the mid 70's when I lived on popcorn with milk - also eggs, mayo and bread. I don't remember eating anything green. I was in grad school, living alone in an off-campus apartment with a bicycle and a part-time job. I got paid every other Friday.

Save    
wintercat_gw

The only place I can cook is home, and I never get bored at home because it's the only place I can do whatever wish. I get bored waiting for the bus but I can"t cook at the bus stop.

If I get dejected at home and need to pick myself up I do something that would deject me anyway. The logic is that if I,m already in a bad mood I might as well do unpleasant tasks like sorting and filing documents or cleaning, which is necessary but boring. Sort of fight fire with fire. It works for me. Once I,m through with whatever burdensome task I feel better. I,d never cook when in a bad mood. Cooking is fun.

1 Like Save    
CA Kate z9

A new recipe.... something I have to pay attention to the directions. I have a new one that will require at trip to the market.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
White Cooking With Color: When to Use White in the Kitchen
Make sure your snowy walls, cabinets and counters don't feel cold while you're riding white's popularity peak
Full Story
Gray Cooking With Color: When to Use Gray in the Kitchen
Try out Trout or shake up some Martini Shaker gray for a neutral-based kitchen that whispers of sophistication
Full Story
Product Picks Guest Picks: Household Basics That Don't Do Boring
You'll never look at can openers, filing cabinets, key holders and more the same way again
Full Story
Pond Roofing Company is a family-owned and operated business serving Northern Virginia residents for nearly 50... Read More