Experimental baking

Lucille

A while back I bought some mixed grain flour and tried it 50/50 with regular bread flour to bake a loaf of bread in my machine. It was just OK, too dense for my liking. Today I tried using only 1/4 of the mixed grain flour and the result was amazing! It rose higher than my plain white loaf usually does but had delicious taste and texture with that crunchy nuttiness I was looking for.

SaveComment4Like2
Comments (4)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arcy_gw

LOL your title caught my eye. My MIL graduated with a BS in Experimental Cookery, 60 years ago from Iowa State. If she were still alive I bet she could tell you the chemistry.

Save    
ritaweeda

I should try it, I already do whole wheat bread 50/50 or if I use rye flour I do it in thirds. I'll be glad when things get back to normal around here, I haven't made bread in awhile now. Oh, yeah, we went to the new Longhorn Steakhouse that just opened up around here, they brought us a lovely loaf of whole wheat bread and it tasted OK (wasn't bitter like some are) but it was very dense, I guess it didn't have any regular flour in it.

Save    
nicole___

Cool! I have some Rye flour that needs experimenting with. I found bags of self rising King Arthur flour on sale, 50% off. I should try some together.

Save    
DawnInCal

Sounds wonderful, Lucille!

I love trying new recipes and experimenting with those I've made before. Sometimes it works out and sometimes not, but it's always a fun, interesting and educational experience.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
World of Design World of Design: 11 Inspiring Sheds From Santa Barbara to Stockholm
By Houzz
Outbuildings from around the world show how sheds and cottages set the scene for everything from baking in a sauna to beekeeping
Full Story
Kitchen Design Love to Cook? We Want to See Your Kitchen
Houzz Call: Show us a photo of your great home kitchen and tell us how you’ve made it work for you
Full Story
Cleaning 33 Magic Household Cleaning Tips
Houzzers from around the world share their tips for transforming housework into child’s play
Full Story