SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_625121671

Help with new Pool Design (*Pictures inside*)

Sophia Z
5 years ago

So I just want to get some thoughts and ideas on our Pool Design because we have never built a pool before, I apologize for the long post. Basically, my husband and I are getting ready to start construction on our new home within the next couple of months, and we want to put in a pool at the same time to tie in with our mortgage.

Just a background on our situation, we are building on 1.5 acres, in Southwest Florida. Minimal shedding trees within a 50-75 ft area from where the pool will be positioned. We originally did not want a pool cage because we love the open feel, and the cost we would save would be nice. But I believe we have made the decision to have a pool cage built mainly for the bugs/critters it would keep out being in Florida, mainly mosquitoes.

We do have a 1 year old son so as far as a baby barrier goes, that will definitely need to be in place, and is mandatory here in Florida. If we decide to do a pool cage, obviously the price will be more, but we can position the baby barrier on the existing patio instead of on the pool deck, (See pic. #5).

In (pic. #6),we have it setup so that the steps do not run the entire length of the deck, and we feel as though they should run the entire length not only for functionality, but for aesthetics as well.

Also, because our house is on a 3 block Stem wall that means the pool/deck will either have to have a stem wall, or have the steps down as show in all the pictures below. We aren't so sure how we feel about having the pool on a stem wall because then where the deck ends, it will just drop off by 24 inches. And also with a stem wall comes the added costs. The pool with no stem wall requires the steps, but that makes it look very aesthetically pleasing, but also not sure what others think as far as practicality?

Another question we had, was whether going Salt versus Chlorine was a major factor. Obviously the pool companies we talked to said it was better to just go with Salt right off the bat, its a $1600 if we do it while the pool is being installed, or $2,000 later on if we decide to add it. And also it's supposedly cheaper in the long run as far as maintenance, and better on the skin, but wanted to get opinions on whether it was truly worth it or not?

My husband originally drew up what we would love for our pool design, and met with 6 pool companies to show them. The quotes are all roughly similar in price:

$37,000 - $39,000 with no pool cage

$44,000 - $46,000 with a pool cage.

Pool design features and info:

12ft wide

27ft 6in long

Sun shelf 12ft wide 6ft long 1ft deep

Pool depth 3ft shallow end, 5ft deep end

2 bubblers on sun shelf with lights

Umbrella plug in sun shelf

2 lights in pool

1.8HP Hayward Variable Speed pool pump

NO HEATER as of right now, we plan on adding it later if needed.

Paver deck with matching pavers on existing 355sqft patio

Walk way to pool equipment

Around 7,000 gallons total for the pool

Please if you can give us ANY INPUT at all that would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Comments (21)