Beware the Bomb Cyclone

T.W.

I hope everyone is safe and warm.

Be careful, take good care, stay home

I heard 200,000 without power, and it's just begun to move east

'Bomb cyclone' delivers wind gust equivalent to Category 2 hurricane in Colorado Springs

A ferocious winter storm -- a "bomb cyclone" -- unleashed a 97-mph wind gust equivalent to a Category 2 hurricane in Colorado Springs on Wednesday as it roared across the state on the way to the Great Plains and parts of the Midwest, bringing blizzard conditions and a flood threat to a swath of the US.

A bomb cyclone happens when there's a rapid pressure drop, with a decrease of at least 24 millibars (which measures atmospheric pressure) over 24 hours known as bombogenesis. This storm has dropped 33 millibars since Tuesday morning and continues to strengthen.

Denver International Airport saw a gust of 75 mph, which is equivalent to a Category 1 hurricane.

Further pressure drops later Wednesday should be equivalent to what one would typically find in Category 2 hurricane.

In Colorado, more than 133,000 people were affected by power outages, officials said.

In Texas, more than 69,000 people had no power, according to Jen Myers, spokeswoman for provider Oncor. Myers said the sudden wind gusts hit the state with unusual force.

"We're pretty used to seeing Texas storms knock out power, but they tend to be localized," she said. "This was a very widespread event. Everybody's out working to restore power, and all of our crews are out in full force to make sure we can get the power on as soon as possible."

The massive storm was walloping the Rockies. By early afternoon, more than 9 inches of snow had been reported west of Boulder, and winds gusting above 50 mph were whipping through central portions of the state. Gusts of 75 and 80 mph were reported at Denver International Airport, the National Weather Service said.

"And yes, that is the equivalent of a Category 1 hurricane! This is a serious blizzard! DO NOT EVEN ATTEMPT TO DRIVE IN THIS STORM!" the weather service's office in Boulder said on Twitter.

Hundreds of flights bound for, or departing from, the Denver airport were canceled. Thousands of power outages were reported in the Denver area alone.

The storm is on its way to the central and northern Plains and the Upper Midwest with blizzard conditions. Hazards include heavy snow and severe storms with possible tornadoes and flooding into Thursday.

SaveComment28Like
Comments (28)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cattyles

Here in west Texas sustained winds are about 45 today with gusts up to 75. My friend two blocks away took this photo.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by T.W.
d_gw

I live SW of Denver. Our power is fine so far, everything is under ground. We've had crazy hurricane force wind gusts and lots of blowing and drifting snow.

The red dots are closed major highways.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by T.W.
maifleur01

Roof was taken off the original Eagle Pistachio store in Alamogordo, NM where I buy my stuff. Luckily their nuts are safe. Bad pun but Oh Well. For this area in the Spring these are normal weather conditions so I am not concerned. May loose lights but lost lights over the weekend with winds under 20 mph. Spring is finally here as I have daffs and squills emerging. Snowdrops blooming.

8 Likes Save    
leona_2008

Stay safe, everyone!

2 Likes Save     Thanked by T.W.
haydayhayday

https://www.windy.com/

It's a very good site to know if these things interest you.

Tons of stuff there.

Hay

2 Likes Save     Thanked by T.W.
miss lindsey (still misses Sophie)(8a)

Headed to MN on a road trip, hopefully this blows itself out before we hit ND...

Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

The wind is really howling now here in Kansas City and has been since yesterday afternoon, It has switch directions and is blowing out of the north now. I'm hoping that the wind dries out my garden beds enough to plant potatoes and onions this weekend.

Save    
AnnKH

Miss Lindsey, the blizzard warning in North Dakota and NW Minnesota is expected to expire at 1 am Friday. Currently the interstates are closed across most of ND, though they had mostly rain in MN, so travel is OK - unless it freezes.

Hubby and I are driving from Grand Forks to Minneapolis on Friday afternoon - I expect the roads to be OK by then.

1 Like Save    

Thanks AnnKH. Safe travels :)

1 Like Save    
Rina

Good luck everyone affected by this. Stay safe.

Save    
maifleur01

I just saw on fb where Antioch Growers one our local nurseries lost the plastic covering of their hoop house in this wind. One of the owners has been spending the nights keeping a wood stove going to heat the hoop house. He was not there when the wind took it off as it was in the 50's last night so at least he is safe. From the picture it appears the wind cleared the planting tables of the recently planted trays.

Save    
althea_gw

Miss Linsdey & AnnKH, can you two reschedule your trip? The roads in North Western MN are really bad. Some are still closed outstate and even in Mpls roads are closed due to flooding. It rained and rained here in the cities.

Here's the report from MPR:

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/03/14/blizzard-bringing-whiteout-flooding-in-minn

1 Like Save    
AnnKH

Thank you, althea! Eastern ND is still completely shut down, but the blizzard warning expires at 7 pm Thursday; winter weather advisory expires at 1 am Friday. I expect the interstates to be cleared by Friday afternoon. The wind is supposed to die down by midnight.

We have a plane to catch at noon Saturday - we are staying with our son in Eden Prairie Friday night. Rescheduling is not an option!

Save    

Ish.

We won't be to MN until the 17th probably. We'll keep an eye on the weather as we travel.

Save    
d_gw

The storm left Colorado last night but some of our major highways are still closed because so many people had to abandon their cars.

Save    
althea_gw

Wishing you safe travels AnnKH & Miss Lindsey. :)

1 Like Save    
haydayhayday

https://www.windy.com/

I posted it up above. It really offers so much more than the first click shows you.

You can move the slider at the bottom to see what's expected tomorrow and the next day....

You can click on any spot on the map and up pops the current conditions for that location....

So much you can see there.

Hay

3 Likes Save    
Swampy

That's an excellent link Hay, Thank you

1 Like Save    
MissMyGardens

Thanks for that link, Hay. I've never seen anything like it.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Downloaded the app.

Thanks, Hay. Goes right next to NOAA Weather Radar.

https://www.apalon.com/noaa_weather_radar_live.html

Save    
artemis_ma

Thanks Hay, for the map.

Save    
Rina

Gosh that was interesting, Hay. I clicked it and got the wind patterns in southern Africa. It obviously checks where one is. Mozambique and Harare are having a bit of wind here and there. Nowt worth mentioning in South Africa. But oh that is so pretty.

And what is cool that there's a box up top that is presumably supposed to say where the clicker is clicking from. In my case (Johannesburg) it says "Jo'anna". A reference to the brilliant "struggle strong" written in support of the struggle against apartheid -- which the SA government at the time didn't have the savvy to ban. Yes, Joanna was Johannesburg. Heh heh.

Save    
Rina

Sorry, I know, off topic. But that was such a glorious surprise for me. And I've been dancing and there are tears in my eyes. Forgive me?

3 Likes Save    
haydayhayday

Rina:

"Sorry, I know, off topic. But that was such a glorious surprise for me. And I've been dancing and there are tears in my eyes. Forgive me? "

I forgive you. I love it.

Not that you need it. People who know me for a while around here know I love to dance. I'm dancing with you.

I hate Apartheid.

Hay

3 Likes Save    
haydayhayday

I don't know much more about the Windy.com site.

I learned about it from.... give up?.....a sailor.

I haven't tried really hard to find out much about the site, but it looks to be very recent and not very well documented. But very good.

In the bottom right, you can change the model used in the presentation. They seem to offer three models.

Don't like knots/hour? Switch to MPH.

I love the site.

Hay

Save    
Rina

Thanks, Hay.

1 Like Save    
maifleur01

Similar to this that I find very mesmerizing. Faster the lines move the stronger the weather. It is not too accurate for gusts because it measures continuous wind speed where gusts can last seconds. http://hint.fm/wind/

Save    

I clicked the link from hay and got immediate vertigo lol. I think the concept is very cool and I'm happy for people who can enjoy it :-D

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Salvage The Perks and Perils of Reupholstering Old Furniture
Secondhand upholstered pieces can add character to a room, but beware of bugs, snakes and hidden costs
Full Story
World of Design See 90 of Singapore’s Best Designs on Houzz
To celebrate the launch of Houzz Singapore, enjoy some of the Asian island’s stunning architecture and interiors
Full Story
Most Popular December Checklist for a Smooth-Running Home
It's time to add weather stripping, plan for holiday home safety, consider backup heating, check your emergency kits and more
Full Story