Sanctuary Policies Killed Bambi

Becca Reese

It's time to have a real conversation about placing the safety of Americans and otherwise law-abiding residents (yes, even illegals) over the Left's agenda, which includes sanctuary policies that protect illegal alien criminals and place innocent lives like Bambi Larson's at risk.

Larson was brutally murdered by an illegal alien who should have and could have been deported 6 TIMES.

I hope everyone can agree that the right thing to do is detain repeat, dangerous and violent offending illegal aliens, to be held for ICE evaluations once an ICE detainer is filed. If that had happened on any of the occasions this murderer was arrested, Bambi Larson would be alive today.

Any death that could have been prevented is a tragedy. Bambi Larson's death is an American tragedy.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-police-chief-blasts-sanctuary-city-policies-after-previously-deported-illegal-immigrant-arrested-for-murder

The San Jose police chief blasted California’s sanctuary city policies Tuesday after a previously deported illegal immigrant with a long rap sheet was arrested for murder in the brutal stabbing of a 59-year-old woman.

Chief Eddie Garcia said the murder of Bambi Larson, who was killed inside her home Thursday afternoon, demands that police and the county have an honest conversation over the refusal to honor U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement detainer requests for violent criminals.

“This isn’t about politics, this is about public safety,” Garcia said during a press conference Tuesday, during which he also spoke about the arrest of 24-year-old Carlos Eduardo Arevalo Carranza. “He could have been turned over six times.”

Garcia said his officers first made contact with Arevalo Carranza, who is believed to be homeless, when he was arrested for alleged methamphetamine possession. He was cited and released KTVU reported.

But DNA taken during his arrest matched samples taken from multiple locations around Larson’s home and, once he was located again by police, he was arrested on suspicion of murder.

Police said Arevalo Carranza was seen on security footage “stalking" the area near Larson’s home on the day of her murder and well as leaving the residence after the crime was committed. A connection between the two has not been determined, Garcia said.

Erik Bonnar, an acting field office director for ICE, said Arevalo Carranza had been previously deported by Homeland Security from McAllen, Texas in 2013. At some point, he returned to the U.S. and has since been arrested numerous times on suspicion of committing offenses including burglary, battery, false imprisonment, possession of methamphetamine and prowling.

In the Los Angeles and Santa Clara counties, the 24-year-old had been arrested six times – the most recent for allegedly possessing methamphetamine and paraphernalia in January.

"How many more people have to be killed or injured before California lawmakers will open discussions to revise the state policy prohibiting local law enforcement agencies from working with ICE to apprehend dangerous criminal aliens?" Bonnar said in a statement. "It’s unfortunate that our communities face dangerous consequences because of inflexible state laws that protect criminal aliens. These sanctuary policies have unintended, but very real, and often tragic consequences to public safety."

California’s sanctuary law – signed by Gov. Jerry Brown in 2017 – largely prohibits local enforcement from keeping illegal immigrants in custody at the request of federal immigration officials

Garcia said ICE had placed a detainer order for Arevalo Carranza, however, it was repeatedly ignored by Santa Clara County due to its sanctuary policies.

He said San Jose police do not request immigration status while making an arrest, but that ignoring detainers and releasing inmates from custody who have committed serious crimes undermines the city’s safety.

"The City of San Jose and our police department has no control over how the county interacts with federal immigration enforcement or deportation of violent or serious felons like Carlos Arevalo Carranza," Garcia said. "Those policies are not set at our level."

SaveComment40Like3
Comments (40)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chi

I do agree that repeat and violent criminals need to be held. I don't agree with ignoring detainers on criminals and releasing them. Being arrested 6 times for drugs should have been enough.

I think it's a reasonable compromise. I don't believe in deporting people who are established here and living peacefully with their families but repeat criminals (for reasonable crimes, not jaywalking) should be deported.

6 Likes Save     Thanked by Becca Reese
Becca Reese

Chi, that's a reasonable stance. We don't want police pulling people over and asking for papers, but we do want dangerous criminals detained for ICE and we need to allow local police to work with ICE again, by sharing information at will.

I think local authorities should be able to make these calls and not be hobbled by sanctuary virtue signalling.

6 Likes Save    
Fuhgetabauti

I don't believe in deporting people who are established here and living peacefully with their families

So you want open borders - come on in and as long as you don't cause any trouble you can stay?

4 Likes Save    
bob_cville

Whataboutism follows:

So one person being brutally murdered by a violent criminal illegal immigrant calls for immediate action: "This is a tragedy! Something must be done!"

But what about the many equally brutally murders at the many mass shootings that have occurred even just of the past few years? "This is a tragedy, but what ya gonna do?" "Murderers be murdering", nothing could be done. In fact, other than sending "Thoughts and Prayers" Nothing must be done."

1 Like Save    
Becca Reese

If any mass shooter was let go because the system released them into society, and their crime could have been prevented, 100%, then your painfully droll whataboutism would be applicable.

Sated?

5 Likes Save    
MissMyGardens

If detainers were issued by ICE could they not have been waiting outside court when bail was granted to arrest the criminal multiple times? There is an online database for every court listing various hearings identified by name of defendant. You can search by name and have all appearance and location information.

ICE is waiting outside courthouses and immigration offices around here and across the nation arresting immigrants who don't just disappear but are doing what they're told and scooped up anyway. Some of them get notice to appear for paper renewal, they appear and are arrested when they do so.

No reason if ICE knew about this guy, issued detainers they knew what & where he was held and should've stood on courthouse steps to arrest him.

2 Likes Save    
Chi

"So you want open borders - come on in and as long as you don't cause any trouble you can stay?"

No, that's not what I said. If people are already here, I don't believe in ripping families apart if they aren't harming anyone. That goes for people who crossed the border and people who stayed over their visa.

If parents come illegally and have children who are US citizens by birth, I don't believe in deporting the parents and putting the kids in the system. That doesn't benefit anyone.

2 Likes Save    
tony jelly

Are these your words in the OP Becca?

Save    
margaritadina

''

bob_cville

Whataboutism follows:

So one person being brutally murdered by a violent criminal illegal
immigrant calls for immediate action: "This is a tragedy! Something
must be done!"

But what about the many equally brutally murders at the many mass
shootings that have occurred even just of the past few years? "This is a
tragedy, but what ya gonna do?" "Murderers be murdering", nothing
could be done. In fact, other than sending "Thoughts and Prayers" Nothing must be done."

''

bob_cville

it's not even whatabotism.

Whatabotism:

Reps :''illegal aliens killed X number of Americans''

Libs: ''how about legal immigrants who killed Y number of Americans?''

See what I mean?

Since we are talking about immigration two equal pools of new arrivals should be compared - illegal aliens and legal immigrants.

Not apples and oranges - illegal aliens and the US born citizens.

3 Likes Save    
cait1

If people are already here

By people do you mean illegal aliens? If so, they broke immigration law to get in which makes them criminals. Criminals needs to pay for their crime. Deportation is their punishment, and rightly so.

2 Likes Save    
Chi

"By people do you mean illegal aliens? If so, they broke immigration law to get in which makes them criminals. Criminals needs to pay for their crime. Deportation is their punishment, and rightly so"

Luckily I live in California and we have more compassion than that, and can decide our own rules on what's best for our families. Must be frustrating for you!

1 Like Save    
watchmelol

The so called Police Chief needs to go. He's a liar, a racist and loves to dance the political two step. This is the same ass who made the police stand down while leftists attacked attendees after Trump's speech at the convention center.

This is the same racist (La Raza) thug who gave this talk along with his left wing cronies back in December of 2016. The blood is on his hands. For those of you who don't speak Spanish he switches to English later in the video.

https://abc7news.com/news/full-video-sj-officials-discuss-immigration-enforcement/1636133/

Below is the alleged killers rap sheet the police knew about and still did nothing.

SAN JOSE (CBS SF) – A transient arrested in the murder of Bambi Larson was in the United States illegally and had a lengthy history of arrests in the South Bay and Los Angeles, authorities said Tuesday. “He is a self-admitted gang member.”
Arrest record: His criminal history convictions consist of in Feb. 2013 he was detained by the Department of Homeland Security at the border near McAllen, Texas, and deported.”
“In 2015, he was arrested for drug paraphernalia. In 2015 he was convicted of burglary in San Jose. In 2016, battery of an officer, resisting arrest and entering a property. In 2016, he was arrested for battery in Los Angeles. In 2017, he was arrested and convicted of false imprisonment in San Jose. On April of 2018, arrested for paraphernalia again. In May, he was arrested for possession of methamphetamine.”
“In August of 2018, he was arrested for prowling. On October 2018, he was arrested for false identification and paraphernalia once again.”
Garcia said Carranza was currently on probation for the possession of methamphetamine, paraphernalia, false imprisonment and burglary.
“Unfortunately, ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) placed detainers on this individual six separate times. Two in the Los Angeles area and four in the County of Santa Clara,” he said.
ICE detainers are requests to hold people suspected of being in the country illegally for longer than their jail terms until they can be questioned by federal immigration authorities.
Garcia was critical of the sanctuary city, county and state policies that prevented Carranza from being turned over to immigration officials.
“Those undocumented citizens who are not violent or serious criminals should not fear the police,” he said. “But when we have violent or serious offenders that are preying on our community we must have the ability to protect our residents. We will go to the ends of the earth to find a predator like this. We put the case together, put them in jail and then it is up to the rest of the system to determine what happens next.”
“The City of San Jose and our police department has no control over how the county interacts with federal immigration enforcement in the deportation of violent or serious felons like Carlos Arevalo Carranza.”
Paul Kelly, president of the San Jose Police Officers Association, said the crime should have never happened.
“Not in a million years. We have to change the laws that protect monsters like this suspect,” said Kelly.
“If you have dreamers that are just trying to survive and make a better life for themselves, that’s not what we’re talking about here. We’re talking about changing the laws that protect criminals that will violently attack women.”
ICE Acting Field Office Director Erik Bonnar said his agency has had nearly a dozen detainer requests for Arevalo-Carranza that have gone unanswered. They filed a 10th detainer on his on Tuesday after his arrest.
“ICE preliminary information suggests this is at least the tenth detainer ICE has lodged with local California law enforcement agencies on Arevalo-Carranza since 2016,” Bonnar said in a statement. “All nine known previously lodged detainers have been ignored and have allowed Arevalo-Carranza back onto our streets to re-offend.”
"How many more people have to be killed or injured before California lawmakers will open discussions to revise the state policy prohibiting local law enforcement agencies from working with ICE to apprehend dangerous criminal aliens?” the statement continued. “It’s unfortunate that our communities face dangerous consequences because of inflexible state laws that protect criminal aliens. These sanctuary policies have unintended, but very real, and often tragic consequences to public safety.”

3 Likes Save    
margievank

Where is the outrage from the left over this? They are so outraged over Tucker Carlson over a 10 year old shock chat , where nobody got hurt, and they are more outraged over straws.

3 Likes Save    
cecily 7A

I'm disappointed because the title led me to believe that this was a thread about Disney movies.

4 Likes Save    
catspat(aka)

This has an easy solution: ICE can obtain warrants, which are constitutional, have the force of law, and always complied with by all government entities in California, instead of detainers, which are none of these, for the individuals they wish to arrest and deport.

3 Likes Save    
mrskjun(9)

Chi, Trump has offered status to 1.8 million DACA's, in exchange for 200 miles of border wall. Maybe it doesn't sound like a good trade to you, but I'd bet for the 1.8 million DACA's it sounds fantastic.

Save    
Chi

I'm okay with that. I think the wall is a stupid waste of money but I would be happy to see those kids be protected.

Save    
bob_cville

Taking me to task for doing "Whataboutism" incorrectly -- too funny. Do you guys have a dog-eared copy of "Whataboutism : how to deflect Usenet threads from an unwelcome topic by writing largely unrelated posts" that you xerox and fax to one another? Given her largely unrelated recent post and her many, many other whatabout deflections, Mrskjun's copy must be especially well used.

This article presents a slightly different slant on the same story:
https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/03/13/county-officials-say-ice-not-their-policy-to-blame-for-releasing-homicide-suspect/

The article argues that in the past, before the Sanctuary Law when local police agencies did honor detainer requests, ICE often would never show up, leaving the arrested person to languish in the local jurisdiction's jail. So while the article in the original post seems certain that had any of the local jurisdictions honored one of the detainer requests from ICE that ICE would have come to take him into custody and that therefore Mrs. Larson wouldn't have been murdered. However, while a post hoc analysis clearly shows that if the local police held him, and if ICE ever actually sent somebody and took him into custody or deported him, and if he was therefore somewhere else when the murder took place then certainly Mrs. Larson would not have been murdered. But how many other people would have had to have been held beyond their normal release dates, without warrants from ICE, for those "if's" to have been true? Which, as the article points out, has been ruled unconstitutional and a violation of people’s right to due process.

Based on cait's post above I'm sure her response to this question would be a quick and forceful, "All of them!" Meaning any and all undocumented immigrants that have occasion to encounter a local police officer in an official capacity, should, as a matter of course, be locked up until ICE can find the time to take them into custody and deport them. She'd likely contend that since they have broken an immigration law they have no rights, but that's not the way the Constitution works.

While it is clear to me that this individual ought to have been detained for however long it took for ICE to arrive, and for him to be deported or imprisoned or worse, I also suspect that this particularly egregious case is being used as a reverse straw man argument. By stating from an argument that no rational person could disagree with: "This murderer should have been deported before he had a chance to commit murder." but with the seeming intention of using that argument as the proverbial "nose-of the-camel-in-the-tent", I suspect and fear that the true intention leads towards a slippery slope eventually ending with ICE agents or their helpful deputized civilian volunteers stopping people on the street demanding "show us your papers" and summarily arresting and deporting any who cannot immediately comply. Which some of the right wing posters here would be horrified by, but which others would openly and loudly cheer -- and probably volunteer.

To bring it back around to my Whataboutism deflection: In a post hoc analysis of any and all of the many mass shootings, its easy to argue that each of those murderers ought to not ever have been able to have purchased (or otherwise acquire) the weapon (or weapons) that made killing so many possible. (Which I believe that no rational person could disagree with) But given that predicting things is hard, especially about how a particular person will act in the future, any suggestions geared toward preventing dangerous future mass murderers from obtaining veritable weapons of war are imprecise, and are viewed by many on the Right as a first step on a slippery slope leading to all assault weapons being banned, followed inevitably by all guns being banned, eventually ending with jackbooted liberals kicking down doors across America seizing your cherished guns, tearing up your bibles and forcing you to be gay.

1 Like Save    
josephene_gw

Doesn’t this go back to the dollar?

the feds (ice) isn’t paying the money owed for cities counties and states to hold the detainees.

So put the blame where it belongs

on CON DONs shoulders.

1 Like Save    
Becca Reese

margievank

Where
is the outrage from the left over this? They are so outraged over
Tucker Carlson over a 10 year old shock chat , where nobody got hurt,
and they are more outraged over straws.

Compartmentalized rage, margie.

In California, where Larson was an innocent, brutally murdered by a criminal illegal alien in the sanctity of her own home, there is a Governor who feels nothing about blameless Americans being collateral damage to his preening virtue signalling.

Gavin Newsom has show great callousness to victims of illegals in his state, and their families. But heaven forbid someone on death row be executed and later exculpated from the crime. That's collateral damage and loss of innocent life he simply can't allow to weigh on his conscience.

Scott Peterson lives by Newsom's policies. Bambi Larson dies.

Where's the outrage?

3 Likes Save    
catspat(aka)

Where's the concern for the Constitution? Here's a primer, with the Supreme Court rulings, for the apparently uninformed: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/what-constitutional-rights-do-undocumented-immigrants-have

A good starting point is this statement in the linked article: "Many parts of the Constitution use the term “people” or “person” rather than “citizen.” Rodriguez said those laws apply to everyone physically on U.S. soil, whether or not they are a citizen."

Save    
Becca Reese

Wow, Laura Ingraham has some shocking information about Bambi's illegal alien killer. The county of San Jose, not ICE, was responsible for releasing him back on the streets, instead of allowing ICE to detain and deport him. Further, he left the country and returned claiming asylum, and managed to game the system and pass the initial "credible fear" criteria.

He's a gang member.

Pathetic on every level.

3 Likes Save    
cait1

@ Chi

I live in California and we have more compassion than that

It's not compassion... it's representation in Congress because illegals are counted and it's fed $$ because of the overblown representation.

Politicians care about two things only: MONEY and POWER. Didn't they teach you that in school?

2 Likes Save    
Chi

I don't really care about any political motivation behind it, if that's even true. I grew up in San Diego and knew many undocumented immigrants in my neighborhood and they were the most wonderful people. I don't support deporting people living peacefully and tearing families apart. And luckily I live in an area that feels the same. You're welcome to vote against it in your own state if you want.

2 Likes Save    
elvis

The all caps yelling, the exclamation marks,

If you're seeing that on this thread, you are hallucinating. Off to bed you go, now..

1 Like Save    
margaritadina

''

Becca Reese

Wow, Laura Ingraham has some shocking information about Bambi's illegal alien killer. The county of San Jose, not ICE, was responsible for releasing him back on the streets, instead of allowing ICE to detain and deport him. Further, he left the country and returned claiming asylum, and managed to game the system and pass the initial "credible fear" criteria.

He's a gang member.

Pathetic on every level.

''

Most asylum applicants are not eligible for asylum, but granting a gang member a ''credible fear'' criteria is a complete failure of immigration court. Of course, he has a credible fear for his life! He is scared that families of his victims will get him.

Hope the judge is fired for this.

Hope Bambi's family will sue a city of San Jose and win the case.

1 Like Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"Hope Bambi's family will sue the city of San Jose and win the case."

Would love to see that family, and every family torn apart by an illegal alien get justice.

4 Likes Save    
elvis

Yes. We have enough crime. We certainly don't need to import it.

2 Likes Save    
Becca Reese

elvis, we are importing crime. Yet another MS-13 brutal murder just recently happened in my neck of the woods, which has its share of the gang's members. 5 MS-13 gang members arrested after El Salvador ordered the death of a 16-year old from El Salvador. They stabbed him over 100 times and beat him to death, then dumped his body in another state.

When Kirstjen Nielson told Congress that she could not tell Americans who was entering their country, they didn't even listen, let alone care.

Not one county or state official will answer for the death of Bambi Larson, but I sure hope her family sues them all and gets justice for this totally avoidable tragedy.

1 Like Save    
josephene_gw

Sounds like ICE did not pay its bills.

How can a city be expected to house and feed inmates while ICE drags its feet and don’t take custody of these people?

what is the job of ICE if not to keep criminals out of USA?

Save    
catspat(aka)

Exactly, josephene. A lot of this situation is due, in part, to the sloppiness, laziness, and incompetence of ICE itself, which seemed to expect local authorities to detain prisoners until, if and when, they got around to taking custody of them. However, a detainer is not a legal document, it is only a request, and it is not legally or constitutionally sufficient for keeping someone in jail beyond their legal release date. A warrant is. ICE pretty much cared less about the legal exposure faced by local authorities caused by their lack of diligence on this front.

Save    
adoptedbyhounds

Wow! He got back in by seeking asylum???

1 Like Save    
elvis

A lot of this situation is due, in part, to the sloppiness, laziness, and incompetence of ICE itself

My turn!

So, you are saying, catspat, that ICE murdered Ms. Larsen.

Save    
catspat(aka)

So, you are saying, catspat, that ICE murdered Ms. Larsen.

Obviously you can read at least as well as I, elvis, if not better. Did I say that?

Save    
josephene_gw

Elvis and others here. Why don’t you support Giving ICE the training and support to prevent people like that from entering the US? We here on the left support securing the existing barriers and training.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

ICE needs updated resources. We need to provide them the needed tools. And these tools are needed at all borders and point (ports) of entry. And "the wall" doesn't replace their need.

Save    
elvis

We here on the left support securing the existing barriers and training.

ICE needs updated resources. We need to provide them the needed tools. And these tools are needed at all borders and point (ports) of entry. And "the wall" doesn't replace their need.

Excellent. Then we agree. The border barrier doesn't replace their need, but will certainly enhance their efficiency.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

The border barrier doesn't replace their need, but will certainly enhance their efficiency.

That last part is far from established. Good to know you agree with increasing the technological resources at the borders and ports of entry.

Save    
josephene_gw

Yes Elvis we have said all along .

more training better technological resources and more better qualified employees, maybe starting at the top.

Even Nancy Pelosi has said this.

Save    
elvis

And a physical barrier.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Pets 6 Design Ideas for Happy Pets
Keep your dog or cat feeling safe and in high spirits, and you'll all feel more at peace. Here's how
Full Story
Most Popular The Inevitable Future of Drones Around Your Home
As Google joins the push for airborne deliveries, it seems only a matter of time before neighborhoods are buzzing with drones. Is that OK?
Full Story
Most Popular Could Techies Get a Floating Home Near California?
International companies would catch a big business break, and the apartments could be cool. But what are the odds of success? Weigh in here
Full Story
Energy efficient concrete homes are our specialty at Old Europe Construction LLC. We build insulated concrete... Read More