Trump's CONSERVATIVE JUDGES BEGIN TAKEOVER of federal appeals courts

catkinZ8a

Trump's conservative judges begin takeover of federal appeals courts

Richard Wolf, USA TODAYPublished 3:01 p.m. ET March 12, 2019 | Updated 4:07 p.m. ET March 12, 2019

Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh. (Photo: Alex Brandon, AP)

WASHINGTON – One of President Donald Trump's biggest achievements since entering the White House – making the federal courts more conservative – crossed a major threshold Tuesday.

For the first time, he turned a federal appeals court previously dominated by Democratic presidents' nominees into one with a majority of Republican presidents' choices.

Senate confirmation of Paul Matey to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, with jurisdiction over Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware, gave Trump and his GOP predecessors in the White House a 7-6 majority there. The Senate vote was 54-45, largely along party lines.

Matey, 48, a former top counsel to New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, became Trump's 35th appeals court nominee to reach the bench with seven more pending, continuing a record pace. The Senate also has confirmed 53 of Trump's picks for federal district courts, with another 54 nominees pending.

The president's goal of remaking the federal judiciary began in January 2017 with the nomination of Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court. Gorsuch's confirmation and that of Brett Kavanaugh last October have made the nation's highest court more conservative.

The Senate also was poised to move further ahead Tuesday with thecontroversial nomination of Neomi Rao to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, the nation's second-most powerful tribunal. A final vote could occur later this week.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/03/12/president-donald-trumps-conservative-judges-makeover-takeover/3140131002/

SaveComment59Like2
Comments (59)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fuhgetabauti

Thank you President Trump! The left is going full on assault on the Constitution, we need strong judges to protect it.

11 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

Winning!

9 Likes Save    
how2girl

Acquisition by inquisition.

Save    
Carro

Was it inquisition when Dems appointed judges and made activists out of the courts?

8 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

Thanks for sharing, Catkin. More balance will be a welcome change.

5 Likes Save    
rhoder551 zone 9b-10

A lot more death sentences for people of color?

1 Like Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

"Takeover" is an apt description.

Save    
catkinZ8a

Not tired of winning!

4 Likes Save    
cait1

I can't wait for Trump to take over the 9th!

4 Likes Save    
chisue

This is the real bad news. Never mind Trump's endless barrage of distractions from his master's goal of weakening our republic.

Save    
numbersjunkie

Apparently Federal judges can be impeached. Just because it hasn't happened before doesn't mean it cant be done. I think Judge Ellis would be worth scrutinizing. I mean the Pubs have been trailblazers on so many issue relating to judges - Obama's SCOTUS nomination, the blue slip process.

I don't mind a balanced court, but there is recourse if we see rulings that are nonsensical.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

This profoundly depresses me. Not the judges but the attitude on the part of posters here that our courts are just Kangaroo courts controlled by political beliefs for the benefit of fringe politics.

9 Likes Save    
numbersjunkie

This profoundly depresses me. Not the judges but the attitude on the part of posters here that our courts are just Kangaroo courts controlled by political beliefs for the benefit of fringe politics.

Yes, really sad. And it extends beyond the courts - Dept of Justice/FBI used to be considered bipartisan too. These days nothing is off limits when it comes to political influence. Not sure what the solution might be. Elected judges? I think the balance of power in the Senate is a problem that, if corrected, would be a solution for many of ills.

1 Like Save    
Ann

Thank you President Trump. Boy, did this country ever need you when we got you.

3 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

Thank you President Trump, I will never be tired of winning in this way.

President Trump promised to get the activist legislative intent judges removed as much as possible and replaced with honest jurists that know their job and know their place.

The fact that anyone can be sad to remove obviously biased judges is quite concerning--no matter the bias, there is no place for it in our Constitution and courts.

1 Like Save    
Chi

Things are so much worse since he came into office, and he's doing his best to ruin the country. I just hope he's kicked out on his rear next election before he can do any more damage.

Save    
Stan Areted

Got another almost twenty-two months at least!

LOTS OF TIME TO DO MORE TO MAGA!

1 Like Save    
mrskjun(9)

Six more years. Take it to the bank!

3 Likes Save    
Chi

Yes, but thank God we got the house to help keep him in check for the rest of the time. He's been trying to mimic his dictator bff's Putin and Kim Jong-un. He might as well spit on the Constitution for the amount of respect he's showing to the fundamental principals of our government.

1 Like Save    
Stan Areted

I don't agree at all, Donald Trump is restoring the tenets of our Constitution.

We SHOULD have checks and balances--he is restoring courts to their rightful

duties--NOT hacks for democrats and social engineering, not to mention activist

judges intent on destroying Christians and their businesses, resdistributing wealth, and

giving rights to criminal illegal aliens to which they are not entitled.

1 Like Save    
Chi

"Donald Trump is restoring the tenets of our Constitution. We SHOULD have checks and balances"

So then how can you defend him using a national emergency, ADMITTING that he didn't need to declare it but wanted to do it faster, because Congress wouldn't approve it? That is literally what checks and balances are.

Congress needs to approve what the President wants to do. When he goes over their head, especially when he admits it's not actually an emergency, he is completely disregarding our checks and balances system.

Is it acceptable for him to disregard checks and balances because you feel Congress was being unreasonable in blocking him? Don't you think that sets a very dangerous precedent for future presidencies? Next Democrat can declare a state of emergency for gun control, healthcare, global warming? We'll now have presidents doing whatever they want if Congress refuses to approve what they want.

It's good to know that Trump supporters would approve of Democrats doing the same, since they are approving of Trump setting this precedent. It goes both ways.

1 Like Save    
josephene_gw

Works of Con Don.

so much loosing.

Save    
margaritadina

I knew that Trump is not for rent of for purchase but never though that he will make such a get-it-done president. Bulldozer Don.

Well done. Very well done. After 8 years of social-justice-bathrooms crap and blaming guns for a terrorist attack we finally see the change.

2 Likes Save    
heri _ cles

Republicans are spiking the ball in the endzone after the appointment of scores of judicial activists to the courts. That;s proof positive that we need a progressive Democratic Presidential candidate to beat tRump next year. No Biden or Kloby. We need a 180 degree turn to regain an ideological balance.

Save    
josephene_gw

So much hate from the left.

they want Con Don to ruin the nation

their dads, brothers, grandparents. Sisters, uncles,aunts, etal died for.

Save    
Stan Areted

Pen and a phone.

NOT just for Hopey Changey Barry.

Save    
Fuhgetabauti

Thank you President Trump. Boy, did this country ever need you when we got you.

You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes you might find
You get what you need

4 Likes Save    
Kitchenwitch111

I’m amazed that Americans are celebrating “biased” judges. A real judge would be fair and without personal opinions; to uphold the law as it is written and not to make decisions based on political beliefs.

3 Likes Save    
Fuhgetabauti

You have it backwards, we're celebrating unbiased judges that uphold the constitution as it is written, not as they wish it was written.

2 Likes Save    
Chi

As long as they uphold that abortions are constitutionally protected as written.

1 Like Save    
maifleur01

I wish I was amazed that Americans are celebrating biased judges but I have seen what bought judges can do both here and in other countries. All find and dandy until they or someone or something they think is not guilty or deserves a lesser punishment comes before this type of judge. It will happen then they will be crying at how biased the judges are. Another sad day for this country as judges should apply the law equally but as seen recently it will no longer happen.

Save    
Kitchenwitch111

You have it backwards, we're celebrating unbiased judges that uphold the constitution as it is written, not as they wish it was written.

If they are supposedly unbiased, why are you calling them "conservative" judges?

4 Likes Save    
Ann

"Six more years. Take it to the bank!"

OMG, I so hope you're right!

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

True this: "conservative judges" means they do have a particular perspective.

They are biased to the "conservative".

Save    
elvis

numbersjunkie

Apparently Federal judges can be impeached.

Ah, yes, Off with their heads! Only if they disagree with you, though.

4 Likes Save    
elvis

Chi

As long as they uphold that abortions are constitutionally protected as written.

Not written in the Constitution. SCOTUS ruling/interpretation.

The Court ruled 7–2 that a right to privacy under the Due Process Clause of the 14th Amendment extended to a woman's decision to have an abortion, but that this right must be balanced against the state's interests in regulating abortions: protecting women's health and protecting the potentiality of human life.

3 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Very, very few are for unregulated abortions.

But won't say more as this is about the claim that "conservative" means unbiased.

Save    
Chi

I know it's not written in the Constitution and was a supreme Court interpretation. It was ruled unconstitutional to make abortion illegal. So they need to uphold that if they are actually interested in protecting the Constitution.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

I do know that federal judges have been impeached so I looked it up-fourteen have been impeached, of those seven were found guilty and removed from office. It is the most common impeachment (the process) and of course the result (removal) is most common. We did have a Supreme Court Justice impeached but he was found not guilty (Salmon P. Chase no less, I forgot to notice what for).

1 Like Save    
watchmelol

I din't have high hopes for President Trump's success. The primary reason I voted for him was to balance the courts. If he accomplished nothing else I would have been happy to see him take the courts back from the activists. He has far exceeded my expectations not only in this area but many others. I con't stop smiling at all the winning.

2 Likes Save    
MissMyGardens

"uphold the constitution as it is written, not as they wish it was written."

"If he accomplished nothing else I would have been happy to see him take the courts back from the activists."

Exactly which rulings should be reversed in contradiction to stare decisis and which rulings specifically constitute "activism" that reflects deviation from the constitution and its amendments? Unless there's a full list of these items how are we to know what you and others consider "activist" decisions that the "conservative" judges you're all so happy are being nominated by Trump and approved by a Senate controlled by Republicans who've thrown out any semblance of senatorial norms?
Not generalities that can mean anything one wants but specifics so your fellow citizens know what will change in our future.

Save    
heri _ cles

The people of the United States support the current Abortion law as set forth in Roe v. Wade.

"...support for the court’s landmark
ruling in Roe v. Wade has hit an all-time high.
A new poll from NBC News and the Wall Street Journal finds that 71 percent of American voters believe that the decision, which established a woman’s legal right to an abortion, should not be overturned. Just 23 percent say the ruling should be reversed. That's the highest level of support for the decision — and the lowest share of voters who want Roe v. Wade overturned — in the poll’s history dating back to 2005. In 1989, according to Gallup’s survey, 58 percent said
they believed it should stay in place while 31 percent disagreed."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/first-read/nbc-wsj-poll-support-roe-v-wade-hits-new-high-n893806

Pro-lifers are entitled to their opinions, but this issue has been settled by the American people. Women do not wish to return to a time when they had to resort to any number of bad alternatives to terminate an early pregnancy.

I am a firm believer that men should stay out of the debate. In fact, I think it is borderline creepy when any man expresses a strong opinion that a woman should carry an unwanted pregnancy to term and then have the primary, if not the sole responsibility to care for and raise the child.

Save    
Ann

Watchme, me too! SCOTUS was a huge reason for my vote and I had no idea what else to expect or hope for. He was simply a completely unknown in his new role. Dang, what a wonderful surprise all his accomplishments have been!

2 Likes Save    
Embothrium(Sunset Climate Zone 5, USDA Hardiness Zone 8)

Masses of them cheered for Hitler too.

2 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

Chi

By all means, infanticide is paramount.

1 Like Save    
catkinZ8a

Embothrium(Sunset Climate Zone 5, USDA Hardiness Zone 8)

Masses of them cheered for Hitler too.

How edgy.

1 Like Save    
rhoder551 zone 9b-10

No abortions for anyone for any reason... unless you are a nun, then it's okay.

Save    
d_gw

Also okay if you are the mistress of some rich guy.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

The claims about 'infanticide' will continue. Even though it is against the law and no change to that has been proposed. What was proposed in VA and passed in NY isn't for legalizing infanticide.

It is, sadly, a fiction created for the purposes of some Republicans.

Save    
catkinZ8a

1 Like Save    
Chi

Yep, they will continue to say liberals want to kill babies like the one above. They don't care about the truth. We would be much more likely to find common ground without outright lies like this.

Save    
elvis

Chi, I don't think many really believe you want to kill babies like the one above. I think probably it's more a matter of not minding if someone else kills them, and of course the babies would be much younger, you know, newborn.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Elvis, you are close to endorsing that fictional narrative about infanticide.

######

It would be a change to not continue this aspect of "conservatism". How about Does saying *conservative* justice indicate the justice is *biased*?

Save    
cait1

@ Chi

I know it's not written in the Constitution and was a supreme Court
interpretation. It was ruled unconstitutional to make abortion illegal.
So they need to uphold that if they are actually interested in
protecting the Constitution

This is really funny.

We have a 2ndA written in the Constitution that says the govt is forbidden from writing laws against gun ownership yet leftists want and have been able to get passed all sorts of laws that restrict gun ownership.

YET, they admit that the SCOTUS abortion decision is an interpretation and not written in the Constitution but don't want any laws written that will restrict in any way a woman's ability to have an abortion.

Can everyone see the disconnect?

Can't kill anyone with a gun but can kill anyone through abortion.

Hypocrites!

2 Likes Save    
Chi

Yeah it's not at all the same thing but I don't expect you to see it that way. The government forcing a woman to have a baby against her will is not the same as requiring background checks to purchase guns.

Save    
cait1

Chi, if a woman is so stupid not to think she may be pregnant after missing to cycles maybe she shouldn't be having kids.

But your answer did prove to me that you think it just fine to be able to have an abortion at that first twinge of labor.

1 Like Save    
Chi

Actually I don't believe that so you shouldn't assume. I hate abortions. I would rather no one ever have them. But I think the government telling women what to do with their bodies is worse. And I'm talking about outlawing all abortion, which some people are trying to do. I don't believe in 3rd trimester abortion except in very rare circumstances.

And it's very conceivable that a woman can miss being pregnant. Many have irregular periods and it's not unusual to not have one for 3 or 4 months or even longer. And some women use birth control that eliminates periods, and sometimes that fails. There would be no missed period sign. That being said, I don't think not knowing is a valid reason in the third trimester.

1 Like Save    
cait1

But I think the government telling women what to do with their bodies is worse.

Why should a woman get to see a pic of her baby in the womb before she murders it? Are you afraid she might think twice?

What's wrong with limiting abortions until the time of viability outside the womb?

Why are those 'restrictions' so heinous?

1 Like Save    
Chi

Yeah I'm done here. I tried my best to have a civil conversation with you but you aren't listening to anything I say, you're twisting my words and you're making a whole lot of hyperbolic assumptions.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Know Your House Insulation Basics: What to Know About Spray Foam
Learn what exactly spray foam is, the pros and cons of using it and why you shouldn’t mess around with installation
Full Story
Most Popular Togetherness Take 2: Is a Cohousing Community for You?
Missing that sense of connection? Consider the new breed of neighborhood with a communal bent
Full Story
Most Popular From Queasy Colors to Killer Tables: Your Worst Decorating Mistakes
Houzzers spill the beans about buying blunders, painting problems and DIY disasters
Full Story