Email scam. Guess it isn’t a new one...

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I checked my junk email folder. There was an email from my own address. It said my computer has been infected by the Trojan virus and this person knows everything I do and has access to the camera.

Told me he has recording of me watching p**n and pleasuring myself with my left hand. I have to send 597 (I think) in bitcoin, or this will be send to all contacts in my address book.

Alright then. Seems I have an adventurous life. Ha, ha, the most risky website I look at is “the Kitchen Table”

Still googled what this is about (ok, that might have been more risky) and it seems this has been around for a while. A new one for me though. What will they think of next?

I edited it since it didn’t post with the original “p” word. At least I think this is the problem

SaveComment19Like
Comments (19)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fun2BHere

I'm surprised you opened the email.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I didn’t click anything to open it. I opened the junk folder. It was the only one there, so the text popped just up on the right side. I didn’t even scroll down to see what other consequences there would be ignoring it.

There is so much weird stuff going on, It’s surprising me how people can even think of stuff like this.

Save    
leona_2008

I got this a few weeks ago. Minus the bit about the left hand. lol.

josephene_gw

I got it too.

just delet.

jemdandy

You know its junk if you have disabled or taped over your computer camera.

Michael

I never look in my spam folder and it's set to auto delete. If you make it there, you're not worth a peek.

Save     Thanked by Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
Toomuchglass

We got it,too . It's laughable !!!!

DawnInCal

Huh. Wonder why they are picking on left handed people? ;-)

Jasdip

I've never heard of it, and my camera has duct tape over it.

Michael, I check my Spam folder, sometimes people answering my Kijiji ads go into spam.

raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

I have had perfectly legit and needed emails end up in the spam folder for some reason, so I always check it. One thing I like about my email program is that I can mark an email as a scam, and the program will then permanently delete it (it doesn't go into the deleted file). I think perhaps also it lists the sender as a scammer.

katrina_ellen

I got one at work the other day that said it was from our accounting software company and that the payroll deposit didn't go thru. Payroll deposits are not made like that so it was easy to see it was a scam, that and the email address was not recognizable to me. Of course it had a way to "contact" them in the body of the letter. Even if it did look legit I would never respond to the email, I would call the bank.

Toomuchglass

Speaking of scams - we got 4 this month saying "We're having problems delivering your order " supposedly from UPS or FedEx . We're supposed to visit this website ..... HA ! Yeah Right !!!!

maifleur01

Perhaps some of you might be doing something in front of your computer that you would rather no one see but for the majority even if your camera was hacked what would they see? You spilling a drink down your front?

katrina_ellen

toomuchglass - I get calls like that all the time at work - they somehow get the name of a project we were or are doing and say they have a delivery to the job site. I will ask who the vendor is and they will say they don't know. I get tired of them wasting my time so I just ask for their phone number and that gets them to hang up.

Jasdip

I just this minute got a phone call. I let it go to the answering machine as it came in as Anonymous.

"We need to cancel your credit card as your current card has been compromised. Press 1 now to speak to an executive."

LOL

marilyn_c

My husband has over $300,000 in his PayPal account. That is news to me. I didn't even know he had a paypal account. (He doesn't).

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
nicole___

I got it! It also said they had my login ID, which they did...for my Home Depot account. HD had sent me a "we were compromised" email about two years ago and I'd already changed my password. I just delete them. ....the bitcoin amount changes with every email they send.

sjerin

Everyday I delete from my spam file at least two of the "unable to deliver" emails, most often purportedly from fedex, ups or usps. What an annoyance and I can only hope we, and especially the elderly in our country, are up on all these and recognize them for what they are. Since we end up blocking loads and loads of phone calls, both on our landline and cell phones, it's a wonder any legit business can get through to us. If our insurance agent were to call, for instance, would I recognize his number? No.

Elizabeth

We have a scammer here that comes up on CallerID as Michigan State Police. I don't know how their speil goes but they ask for credit card information, I hear. I can only imagine how they have duped and frightened folks!

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decorating 101 12 Great Kitchen Styles — Which One’s for You?
Sometimes you can be surprised by the kitchen style that really calls to you. The proof is in the pictures
Full Story
Storage Organizing? Don’t Forget the Essential First Step
Simplify the process of getting your home in order by taking it one step at a time. Here’s how to get on the right path
Full Story
Pattern Can't Find the Right Wallpaper? Make Your Own
For one-of-a-kind walls, just use your imagination. Custom wallpaper is easier and less expensive than you might expect
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Jose Morgado has over 30 years of well-rounded construction and masonry experience. He brings authentic artisan... Read More