SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westes

Best Soil for Hedge Plants Grown in Raised Beds?

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I want to make a decision on soil construction for pittosporum tobira shrubs to be grown in a raised bed approximately 4 feet wide by 2 to 3 feet high and running about 30 feet in sections. In terms of requirements, I want the soil to be well draining, but I do not want it to be so well draining that my irrigation costs go through the roof. I have to also observe that the target plants for this raised bed are hedge plants. This is not a cactus or succulent soil. It is okay for the new soil to retain some moisture. I simply need to avoid water saturation of the roots, in order to prevent catching fungal diseases.

Since I already know someone is going to ask why do I have multiple threads on raised beds, the answer is that I have a thread asking for a source for prefabricated wood walls, a thread asking about root habits of pittosporums, and I have a thread asking about a disease that is affecting the area where the raised bed will go. None of those places was a good way to have a focused discussion about soil composition for a raised bed. I was hoping to dig in on the soil topic in a focused way, not make it an after-thought to some other thread. I realize that some of you like to have dozens of different questions all consolidated to one thread, simply because the threads share the word "raised bed" or "pittosporum". I prefer to have separate issues kept separate, to promote focused discussions on the main question of each thread.

What would be an ideal soil mixture for pittosporum tobira in a raised bed? Some alternatives I have considered:

* One third each of the native clay, 1/8" gravel, and 5/16" lava rock

* One third each of the native clay, 1/8" gravel, and fill sand (this would make the soil a little like a "loamy" soil, usually considered an ideal growing medium for many kinds of plants)

Since a raised bed is a little like a container, I am observing a container practice of trying to keep the organic component of the soil below about 1/3rd of the soil mixture. Where I am confused is whether established clay soil can be considered a hybrid between a mineral and an organic material. Over time, the native clay has established a huge number of organisms in it such as worms, and of course it has mixed in with dying organic matter. So what we call "native clay soil" is actually very rich in organic matter, quantity of which is undetermined.

Nurseries insist to me that I need to buy compost or other organic soil to mix in with the mixture above. First, I want to minimize my costs. Gravel and fill sand I can buy for much less than $100 per ton. Second, I have a feeling that money invested in organic soil is wasted since a lot of organic material is already present in the clay.

Has anyone here done an experiment like this, and what worked for you? All opinions are welcome.

Comments (22)